Stand up recs

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
06 May 2022, 12:08pm
I only got to see Carlin live once, but it will always stick with me. He started the night with "Did you ever find that people who are against abortion are the people you'd least likely wanna fuck?" and that sealed it for me forever.

Look forward to the documentary.
That bit on abortion has, no surprise, been revived in the last few days.

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.ign.com/articles/norm-macdo ... al-netflix

Norm Macdonald filmed a final performance in secret for posthumous release. Gonna be unsettling/comforting viewing, I think.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2022, 6:08am

Norm Macdonald filmed a final performance in secret for posthumous release. Gonna be unsettling/comforting viewing, I think.
I'm pleased it was done when he was relatively healthy. His last few online videos are of a clearly very unwell man.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
13 May 2022, 9:13am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm pleased it was done when he was relatively healthy. His last few online videos are of a clearly very unwell man.
There was a period a few years back where he got super bloaty. Clearly not fat, but, I presumed, a thyroid issue. Now, perhaps, it was related to treatments.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2022, 9:16am
Silent Majority wrote:
13 May 2022, 9:13am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

There was a period a few years back where he got super bloaty. Clearly not fat, but, I presumed, a thyroid issue. Now, perhaps, it was related to treatments.
Yes, he would often joke on his podcast about gaining weight from being very greedy, or for a role: not a specific role, just that he felt a fat guy would be more readily cast. Clear that he was just being funny about his terminal illness. Fucking guy. One of a kind.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A piece on the new Carlin documentary and his complicated legacy: https://slate.com/culture/2022/05/georg ... patow.html

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched the Carlin doc this afternoon (4 hours!). Stylistically a lot like Apatow's previous documentary on Shandling. And like that one, it's mostly a love letter to the person who made people laugh, about the person behind the jokes. Despite often cynical humour, playing with the dark parts of humanity, the Carlin here is a romantic who deeply wished the world could be kinder, but experience had disillusioned him … but he never gave up his wish. The whole thing confirmed why he mattered so much to my own development and why he still matters to me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watching Norm's final special. Alas, it isn't very good. It's like hearing a really rough demo. So much of Norm's genius was his presentation, and it just doesn't work here. The problem is a lack of an audience for him to play off, so his pacing is quite rushed. It highlights how much of his skill was being so measured in his delivery, stringing his audience along, letting them do a lot of the heavy lifting via anticipation and trying to figure out where he's going. The one comfort, I think, is that he looks really good—not just for a guy dying of leukemia, but just plain old healthy.

edit: The discussion among his comedian friends afterwards, describing both the man and his ability/technique, is far more satisfying.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 8:02pm
Watching Norm's final special. Alas, it isn't very good. It's like hearing a really rough demo. So much of Norm's genius was his presentation, and it just doesn't work here. The problem is a lack of an audience for him to play off, so his pacing is quite rushed. It highlights how much of his skill was being so measured in his delivery, stringing his audience along, letting them do a lot of the heavy lifting via anticipation and trying to figure out where he's going. The one comfort, I think, is that he looks really good—not just for a guy dying of leukemia, but just plain old healthy.

edit: The discussion among his comedian friends afterwards, describing both the man and his ability/technique, is far more satisfying.
I think Letterman compared it a good audiobook, which, having both read and listened to Norm's novel, is an absolutely apt comparison.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 10:13am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 8:02pm

I think Letterman compared it a good audiobook, which, having both read and listened to Norm's novel, is an absolutely apt comparison.
It's a better descriptor than stand-up, but his delivery was still rough and rushed here. All of which is understandable—he was going in for surgery the next day, so his mind couldn't have been fully focused—but I think my demo comparison stands.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I never got to see George live sadly. Love his stuff, his progression through the years, his stuff changed as he changed but he was always thinking and to me that was a big strength of his.
I saw Gilbert Gottfried on Long Island a lifetime ago and he was a scream, weird and really funny.
I also saw Wendy Liebman on LI as well and laughed an awful lot, I loved her delivery and style and that was a fun night. But by far the absolute best 90 minutes of my life were spent at the Westbury Music Fair in 1988 or 89 (can't remember which) when I saw Rodney Dangerfield. I just laughed so hard for the entire show, he was on fire and it was just one giant laugh after another.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Popped in my head, a reminder that Patton Oswalt's stand-up was once exceptional.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

David Cross is coming this way

Anyone seen him?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 1:35pm

Anyone seen him?
Just on the various comedy specials. 20, 25 years ago, I'd jump at it. But his stand-up hasn't been good in at least 15 years. Too much of a snobby liberal mocking yahoos in a pretty obvious way. I'd go if it were free, but not if my bank account drops.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 2:02pm
revbob wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 1:35pm

Anyone seen him?
Just on the various comedy specials. 20, 25 years ago, I'd jump at it. But his stand-up hasn't been good in at least 15 years. Too much of a snobby liberal mocking yahoos in a pretty obvious way. I'd go if it were free, but not if my bank account drops.
I'll go if doc is paying
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!