Stand up recs

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Watching David Cross' HBO special, "The Pride is Back." Goddamn but he was good a long time ago. Hunt it down on the Pirate Bay if you've never seen it before.
For the record, this was on YouTube in its entirety as recently as last week.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:Going to see Stewart Lee on the 11th. Once, the unapproachable top of my favourite comedians, now I find he goes up his own smug, repetitive arse a little too much, to the delight of a sycophantic audience of Guardian liberals. Hopefully, he'll be a good laugh.
That seems to be the pattern of all standups I like. I sometimes wonder if even Bill Hicks would have become a smug liberal in his old age. Or worse, an ultra-conservative reactionary.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Going to see Stewart Lee on the 11th. Once, the unapproachable top of my favourite comedians, now I find he goes up his own smug, repetitive arse a little too much, to the delight of a sycophantic audience of Guardian liberals. Hopefully, he'll be a good laugh.
That seems to be the pattern of all standups I like. I sometimes wonder if even Bill Hicks would have become a smug liberal in his old age. Or worse, an ultra-conservative reactionary.
Carlin managed to avoid that by re-inventing himself—or at least taking stock of himself—in the late 80s and early 90s, and embraced his inner, crusty Irish barfly, becoming a hectoring cultural libertarian. I know when B and I saw him with my sister and brother-in-law on what ended up his last tour, my sister was disappointed because she liked his late 70s, early 80s fun "y'ever …?" observational stuff. Instead there was this old fucker on a jeremiad up on the stage. He had his success and money and said fuck it, a pox on conventional thought. I didn't agree with him all the time, but his attitude made him one of my very few heroes.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Wolter wrote:
Speaking of,
[youtube][/youtube]

Unrelated to that clip, which I do find amusing, really, it's less a political issue I have than a stylistic one. He's always used crushing repetitiveness as a tool, but now that seems to sometimes be the material itself. I do blame the adulation he gets from the broadsheets. It's a character, but I liked him more when he was less divorced from the audience.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Speaking of,
[youtube][/youtube]

Unrelated to that clip, which I do find amusing, really, it's less a political issue I have than a stylistic one. He's always used crushing repetitiveness as a tool, but now that seems to sometimes be the material itself. I do blame the adulation he gets from the broadsheets. It's a character, but I liked him more when he was less divorced from the audience.
I quite liked the final line of that clip.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Stewart Lee was very funny last night. This review came up a lot, witheringly taken apart.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/come ... e-gig.html

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Probably not a huge surprise given the tragic element in comedy: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... CMP=twt_fd

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Probably not a huge surprise given the tragic element in comedy: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... CMP=twt_fd
My anecdotal evidence from hanging out with standups and occasionally doing standup jibes well with that. Although there's also a lot more cocaine and alcohol involved.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

[youtube][/youtube]

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Why not click on this? I think you should. I pitched a series of reviews on the stand up specials that are on Netflix and the very kind site went for it.

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/23296/ji ... -universe/

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Louis CK meets Cathy. Sort of.
http://thecathyckpage.tumblr.com

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

"I had a two year old. He died the same way Eric Clapton's kid did. For inspiration."

Anthony Jeselnik
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

tepista wrote:"I had a two year old. He died the same way Eric Clapton's kid did. For inspiration."

Anthony Jeselnik
I hope he wasn't pushed into it.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

New Hannibal Burress on Netflix is funny as hell, as expected. There's a rec for you.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Haven't heard either yet, but pleased to see Hari Kondabolu and Bo Burnham have new specials out. Two comedians worth checking out based on their previous releases. Burnham's on Netflix now, Kondabolu's going to come out at some point next month, and I'll pay for it. Which, you should know, is a huge deal for me to do.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/