Stand up recs

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Stand up recs

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Dec 2018, 1:49pm
So Louis CK's decided to go the Dennis Miller route and play to the angry conservative male audience. A not-so-subtle way of making himself the victim in his downfall.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lo ... af7a91c1b8
What will all those AWMs think when they find out he's Mexican?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Jan 2019, 3:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
So Louis CK's decided to go the Dennis Miller route and play to the angry conservative male audience. A not-so-subtle way of making himself the victim in his downfall.
What will all those AWMs think when they find out he's Mexican?
"One of the good ones."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
31 Dec 2018, 1:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
i am so embarrassed that i used to enjoy this shithead's work.
I agree with this post.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 12:18pm
Flex wrote:
31 Dec 2018, 1:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
i am so embarrassed that i used to enjoy this shithead's work.
I agree with this post.
Well he did not outwardly seem to be a shithead a few years ago. From his TV show you could tell he clearly had relationship/sexual hangups of some sort but not everyone can be confident and smooth with the ladies/gents but even fewer force others to watch them masturbate in some kind of weird powertrip. So yeah fuck him, he's destroyed/tainted any good work he'd previously done.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

He sucks, and I won't go back to them, but his comedy work and TV show was good.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 2:29pm
He sucks, and I won't go back to them, but his comedy work and TV show was good.
It was in a limited context, but I went back into some of his work out of morbid curiosity a while back and it feels pretty obvious that, even then, he was a shithead who was reveling in being able to get away with being what he is. The joke turned out to be on us, which is aggravating.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I was reading comments in one story or another about all this—that is, the routine that has generated new anger—and someone observed that Carlin could have made the same statements about the Parkland kids, but then used it as a means to going on a rant about media, gun culture, and tolerance for traumatizing kids. That's such a key distinction: do you make shocking statements in a comedy bit just to be outrageous and be a lazy libertarian hiding behind free speech, or do you use it as a means of going after bigger fish, to be constructive? That's something that I so loved about Carlin—he had a point behind his rants, one that could be generalized by his demand that we can and must be better people. The shit that Louis CK was blathering on about was wallowing in being awful and resenting the notion of expectations to be better.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

VH and I saw Marc Maron on Friday night. He was very funny - reminds me a bit of Bill Hicks, but more Semitic. He was nice enough to take pictures after the show. He had some hysterical jokes at Mike Pence's expense. Scott and I told him how much we enjoy his podcast and he seemed truly appreciative and even asked us if we really thought the show was good. So, your basic, neurotic Jewish stand-up comic.
Attachments
MARON.jpg
MARON.jpg (19.47 KiB) Viewed 5425 times
Got a Rake? Sure!

Flex

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 10:55am
VH and I saw Marc Maron on Friday night. He was very funny - reminds me a bit of Bill Hicks, but more Semitic. He was nice enough to take pictures after the show. He had some hysterical jokes at Mike Pence's expense. Scott and I told him how much we enjoy his podcast and he seemed truly appreciative and even asked us if we really thought the show was good. So, your basic, neurotic Jewish stand-up comic.
Nice! Maron has aged pretty well in terms of his comedy (and his physique, from the lookds of it) compared to a lot of his peers, it turns out. Any comedian who you don't want to take a restraining order out on after a decade or so of them having a successful career is a legend.

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 11:01am
JennyB wrote:
Nice! Maron has aged pretty well in terms of his comedy (and his physique, from the lookds of it) compared to a lot of his peers, it turns out. Any comedian who you don't want to take a restraining order out on after a decade or so of them having a successful career is a legend.
TBH, I'm not familiar with his earlier stuff - I came to be a fan through his podcast. I will need to do a little more digging.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Flex

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 11:02am
TBH, I'm not familiar with his earlier stuff - I came to be a fan through his podcast. I will need to do a little more digging.
I'm actually not super familiar either, but he hasn't turned out to be a creepy MRA/alt right type guy yet, which makes him unusual for that crop of male comedians. :twitch:

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Great, Jenny. Looks like an ace time.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 11:03am
JennyB wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 11:02am
I'm actually not super familiar either, but he hasn't turned out to be a creepy MRA/alt right type guy yet, which makes him unusual for that crop of male comedians. :twitch:
Right - he seems to be one of the few who hasn't had a sexual harassment scandal and is on the left side of things.
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 11:06am
Great, Jenny. Looks like an ace time.
It was - thanks!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
That's awesome. Would a non-neurotic Jewish stand-up ever get bookings?