JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Stand up recs

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 12:07pm
JennyB wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 10:55am
VH and I saw Marc Maron on Friday night. He was very funny - reminds me a bit of Bill Hicks, but more Semitic. He was nice enough to take pictures after the show. He had some hysterical jokes at Mike Pence's expense. Scott and I told him how much we enjoy his podcast and he seemed truly appreciative and even asked us if we really thought the show was good. So, your basic, neurotic Jewish stand-up comic.
That's awesome. Would a non-neurotic Jewish stand-up ever get bookings?
I would certainly hope not.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 12:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
VH and I saw Marc Maron on Friday night. He was very funny - reminds me a bit of Bill Hicks, but more Semitic. He was nice enough to take pictures after the show. He had some hysterical jokes at Mike Pence's expense. Scott and I told him how much we enjoy his podcast and he seemed truly appreciative and even asked us if we really thought the show was good. So, your basic, neurotic Jewish stand-up comic.
Heckler: Get some problems!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I'll be seeing him for the second time when he arrives in Seattle in September. He is my favorite comedian by a pretty wide margin.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 12:37pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Heckler: Get some problems!
The first time I saw him there was a woman up front that was "heckling," in that she was interjecting her thoughts between his lines (as opposed to making fun of him), and he handled her quite deftly and then apologized to her later in the show.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 1:17pm
The first time I saw him there was a woman up front that was "heckling," in that she was interjecting her thoughts between his lines (as opposed to making fun of him), and he handled her quite deftly and then apologized to her later in the show.
I wonder, do comedians dislike hecklers mainly for throwing them off their routines, or is it that most hecklers aren't creative, aren't sufficiently witty? That is, you're not good enough to play in my league, so quit wasting everyone's time?

(Put another way, perhaps, you're a performer—what's your view on hecklers?)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 1:33pm
Kory wrote:
I wonder, do comedians dislike hecklers mainly for throwing them off their routines, or is it that most hecklers aren't creative, aren't sufficiently witty? That is, you're not good enough to play in my league, so quit wasting everyone's time?

My guess would be that it's wasting everyone's time, from the performer to the people that paid to see them. Some comedians do a pretty good job of incorporating heckling into their set since they're witty enough to play along quickly, but I don't think they'd want it to last more than a minute or two.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 1:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

My guess would be that it's wasting everyone's time, from the performer to the people that paid to see them. Some comedians do a pretty good job of incorporating heckling into their set since they're witty enough to play along quickly, but I don't think they'd want it to last more than a minute or two.
That'd be my attitude. A quality heckler would be, like, Ah, a worthy opponent to ineract with! Like getting really good student questions during a lecture—it livens up the monologue. But I know profs who hate getting questions because it throws them off their rhythm.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 1:48pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 1:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

That'd be my attitude. A quality heckler would be, like, Ah, a worthy opponent to ineract with! Like getting really good student questions during a lecture—it livens up the monologue. But I know profs who hate getting questions because it throws them off their rhythm.
Yeah I think a lot of the good comics think you should be able to do both, like a jazz musician. You can read the chart, but you have to be able to improvise too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

NSFW, so choose your listening location with care.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

An afternoon spent with Mel Brooks could scarcely be beat.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 2:17pm
An afternoon spent with Mel Brooks could scarcely be beat.
Word, i was saying the punchline to myself at least a minute before he delivered it, but made no difference. Still laughed my ass off when it came. The sublime gift of storytelling!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
20 Mar 2009, 12:01pm
Alright guys, I have to make an emergency 24 hour trip down to LA on saturday/sunday (no, I'm not going to try to win Marlene back) and I need entertaining bits for the drive. What do you recommend?
Yeesh, I remember this trip. My friend's mom died and I still took the chance to make a Marlene joke. I remember I went back up early to go on a date with a girl who ended up ghosting me.

Aaah, single Matey was a miserable son of a bitch.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Review of new David Cross special. Unfortunately, I could have predicted this entirely. If Odenkirk isn't close by, I'm not interested in hearing anything Cross has to say.
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2022/ ... -the-right

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.avclub.com/trailer-hbos-geo ... 1848870600

Omigod, a Carlin documentary is imminent. The man is vital to shaping so much of my life, even if I've moved away from many of his positions. As close to a hero as I've got.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2022, 9:40am
https://www.avclub.com/trailer-hbos-geo ... 1848870600

Omigod, a Carlin documentary is imminent. The man is vital to shaping so much of my life, even if I've moved away from many of his positions. As close to a hero as I've got.
I wouldn't be as knowledgeable as most here, but would have these weird experiences listening to him, thinking, fuck, how is this guy so brilliant, and then he starts unmercifully riffing on someone or something i actually like and it's just, oh fuck! Thats probably not such a bad thing, i guess.