Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Glorification)

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Glorification)

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 7:39pm
Kory wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 3:53pm
revbob wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 11:09am

The only question is who lives here Hoy or Flex?
It's me, actually. I think I'm the only "active" fan here.
I’ve seen them live twice but always part of a festival and I don’t own any of their albums. I can still get behind a handful of songs.
The beef that I usually have with their critics is that nobody knows more than 3 songs and bases their entire opinion on that. Fair enough if people have heard a good chunk of their stuff and don't like them, but I don't understand people that take singles as the definitive statement a band can make.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 6:19pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:

I’ve seen them live twice but always part of a festival and I don’t own any of their albums. I can still get behind a handful of songs.
The beef that I usually have with their critics is that nobody knows more than 3 songs and bases their entire opinion on that. Fair enough if people have heard a good chunk of their stuff and don't like them, but I don't understand people that take singles as the definitive statement a band can make.
Says Kory as he plots his 311 based packet of 3.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 6:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 4:14pm
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:

Y'know, I'm always quick to throw rocks at Flex and Hoy over 90s stuff, forgetting that you're problematic more often than we should feel comfortable about. I've made a mental note on this matter.
Probably because I don't often try to speak up and defend any of it. I'm a 90s lurker.
Ugh, a closet Smash Mouth fan is more contemptible than a loud and proud Flexian.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 6:35pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:

Y'know, I'm always quick to throw rocks at Flex and Hoy over 90s stuff, forgetting that you're problematic more often than we should feel comfortable about. I've made a mental note on this matter.
Probably because I don't often try to speak up and defend any of it. I'm a 90s lurker.
Ugh, a closet Smash Mouth fan is more contemptible than a loud and proud Flexian.
Oh I'm not un-proud; I certainly don't believe in guilty pleasures, etc. I just don't bring it up often because other stuff is more rich for discussion.
revbob wrote:
Think you're ready for it?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:

I was going to say I always enjoyed John Otto's drumming, but he's the Limp Bizkit drummer. Chad Sexton is the 311 drummer and he is also quite good.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 3:30pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:

I was going to say I always enjoyed John Otto's drumming, but he's the Limp Bizkit drummer. Chad Sexton is the 311 drummer and he is also quite good.
I liked his style more back when he was using a piccolo snare, but he certainly hasn't lost any technique.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 3:31pm
matedog wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 3:30pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:

I liked his style more back when he was using a piccolo snare, but he certainly hasn't lost any technique.
Orange County Drum and Percussion piccolo snares were handed out for every alt/punk/ska record contract in the late 90s.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 3:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 6:35pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Oh I'm not un-proud; I certainly don't believe in guilty pleasures, etc. I just don't bring it up often because other stuff is more rich for discussion.
revbob wrote:
Think you're ready for it?
I already know Ive experienced worse.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

This seems like it belongs here.
Screenshot_20220408-125558_Gmail.jpg

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Misread that as "melody-free" which, hey, it might be.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 May 2022, 8:15pm
Flex would never hide that in his browser history. Never.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Their first EP is muy tasty :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
01 May 2022, 9:47pm
The oppo research on you really dropped the goddamned ball. You should have been Mondaled.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
01 May 2022, 9:47pm
I got one of their mid-period albums for free and it was alright.

Also Sum 41 is solidly 2000s, not 90s.