Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Glorification)

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Glorification)

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 7:42am
Silent Majority wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 7:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 6:25am
Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 2:23am
Flex wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 10:25pm
1998 was when it all began :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
I've seen this song live 4 times.
A Catholic Church is a better place for confessing your sins.
He'll have whiskey thrown through the confession grate into his face by an outraged Irish-American priest.
Then it's settled: Kory needs to go to confession.
If I get free whiskey out of it, sure.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 6:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 7:42am
Silent Majority wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 7:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 6:25am
Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 2:23am

I've seen this song live 4 times.
A Catholic Church is a better place for confessing your sins.
He'll have whiskey thrown through the confession grate into his face by an outraged Irish-American priest.
Then it's settled: Kory needs to go to confession.
If I get free whiskey out of it, sure.
Why'd you convert to Catholicism?
Same as everyone, I assume: free wine.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

This last entry was tough to assemble; I had to include some frankly marginal selections. I'd forgotten how I had dubbed 1999 "The Age of Suck," since the suckiness was so pervasive and impossible to avoid. May be a bit too mainstream for some folks here, but my prime musical touchstone is Burt Bacharach, whose music I heard morning, noon and night in my formative years (on account of my mom was a nightclub singer). I always unconsciously gauge where a song would land on the Bacharach Scale - structure, hooks, theory -- no matter the genre.

That said: https://secrethistoryofrock.blogspot.co ... ck_21.html

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IkarisOne wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 3:55pm
This last entry was tough to assemble; I had to include some frankly marginal selections. I'd forgotten how I had dubbed 1999 "The Age of Suck," since the suckiness was so pervasive and impossible to avoid. May be a bit too mainstream for some folks here, but my prime musical touchstone is Burt Bacharach, whose music I heard morning, noon and night in my formative years (on account of my mom was a nightclub singer). I always unconsciously gauge where a song would land on the Bacharach Scale - structure, hooks, theory -- no matter the genre.

Ha! Someone else can take the heat for endorsing Sixpence instead of me!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 3:59pm
IkarisOne wrote:

LOL.

Yeah, 99 was a rough year. I liked Midnite Vultures at the time, but I don't think it has held up too well. Things Fall Apart, Mule Variations, even When the Pawn I can get behind. But mainstream rock was in the throes of nu-metal.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Choking Victim's No Gods, No Managers came out in '99. That's a great fucking record, imho. Dropkick Murphys' The Gangs All Here and Angry Samoans' The 90s Suck & So Do You as well (neither of which I'd classify as great, but at least pretty good). Actually, a not-bad amount of punk and ska bands put out fine-if-not-peak records that year (Agnostic Front's Riot, Riot Upstart is another one). Oh, and NOFX released The Decline EP which is quite the masterpiece (imho).

The White Stripes debut record too, tho I can't admit to being hip enough to having them on the radar at the time. As far as bigger stuff goes, I still think Rammstein's Live Aus Berlin from that year holds up. And the stuff matey mentioned.

I don't wanna sugarcoat it though, just absolute mountains of garbage in the release list that year.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

Always glad to help. Also, any band that loves the Sundays as much as I do must have something going for them.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

matedog wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 4:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

LOL.

Yeah, 99 was a rough year. I liked Midnite Vultures at the time, but I don't think it has held up too well. Things Fall Apart, Mule Variations, even When the Pawn I can get behind. But mainstream rock was in the throes of nu-metal.
Corporate consolidation with the labels and the radio just dumbed everything the fuck down. There's a special place in Hell for Clear Channel.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Flex wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 4:30pm
Choking Victim's No Gods, No Managers came out in '99. That's a great fucking record, imho. Dropkick Murphys' The Gangs All Here and Angry Samoans' The 90s Suck & So Do You as well (neither of which I'd classify as great, but at least pretty good). Actually, a not-bad amount of punk and ska bands put out fine-if-not-peak records that year (Agnostic Front's Riot, Riot Upstart is another one). Oh, and NOFX released The Decline EP which is quite the masterpiece (imho).

The White Stripes debut record too, tho I can't admit to being hip enough to having them on the radar at the time. As far as bigger stuff goes, I still think Rammstein's Live Aus Berlin from that year holds up. And the stuff matey mentioned.

I don't wanna sugarcoat it though, just absolute mountains of garbage in the release list that year.

I was totally out of the loop with Punk at that time, alas. No one was playing it, not even college radio, and this was long before YouTube. There was just no way for me to hear it.

Flex

Post by Flex »

IkarisOne wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 5:02pm
I was totally out of the loop with Punk at that time, alas. No one was playing it, not even college radio, and this was long before YouTube. There was just no way for me to hear it.
Yeah, Hellcat/Epitaph/Fat Wreck was doing the job getting music in front of high school kids, that's about the only way I had any lifeline to that stuff. I can see how if you weren't basically tuned into warped tour and shit which was all geared towards that age group, you'd just be totally blanked out. Definitely nothing I got hep to was thanks to the radio. It was cheap $5 comps these labels were putting out and I'd buy because I knew one band or the cover looked cool or something. I was lucky the ska revival happened a few years earlier on tv and the radio and gave me a toehold into that stuff so I could start diving in once the waters receded from the shore on punk and ska revival popularity.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

How about: Dave Matthews and Fugazi?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
11 May 2021, 9:31am
Only three of these guys are original members. The rest knew what they were getting into.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 May 2021, 10:04am
How about: Dave Matthews and Fugazi?
The ultimate dream team-up :cool:

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »