Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Glorification)

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Hey Flex (All Encompassing 90's Glorification)

Post by matedog »

“Smooth” is a very well written and executed song. Overplayed to hell, but that’s not the song’s fault.

I remember this spawned the trend of taking has been acts and pairing them with hip modern acts. Run DMC had a pretty abysmal album with Fred Durst and Third Eye Blind sometime after. I don’t think DMC is even on the album since his voice is all fucked. No songs as good as Smooth on that one.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 6:47pm
“Smooth” is a very well written and executed song. Overplayed to hell, but that’s not the song’s fault.

I remember this spawned the trend of taking has been acts and pairing them with hip modern acts. Run DMC had a pretty abysmal album with Fred Durst and Third Eye Blind sometime after. I don’t think DMC is even on the album since his voice is all fucked. No songs as good as Smooth on that one.
I found out recently this song was co-written by a guy who used to be in one of my favorite bands, Groove Collective.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!