So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 3:54pm
Kory wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 3:44pm
A lot of people think of fratty qualities as a joke, though I agree that there's two things to hate about 3rd wave from the perspective of people on the outside. I don't think I'd consider Sublime to be serious though.
I agree Sublime aren't really serious. They're fuckin' clowns. I just meant that they didn't make a lot of outright jokes or have goofy imagery (at least on their self titled, actually popular album. Date Rape and Smoke Two Joints are, I guess, "joke" songs) and whatnot like a lot of third wave bands so if you ask, like, my wife or someone who knows about them from the couple of videos that popped up on MTV in the 90s, I don't think she'd describe them as a joke or jokey or whatever (we've had a conversation about them recently, as it happens, since we were discussing which 90s charting songs we remember and she vaguely recalled them. Not a fan, but mostly because they seemed scuzzy. Which they were).

Do you hate that people perceive ska as jokey or do you hate that some people within ska are jokey? Or both? I'm with you on neither point, I don't think. I used to have a bit of a cloud over my head about how ska is remembered/considered in the public mind, but I just think it's funny that people think ska is funny and also I like that ska is sometimes funny and fun. Sometimes being funny and fun is fun.
I think it's an issue that's deeper than ska. I like some jokey bands, for example, Skankin' Pickle, Fishbone (not always super jokey but they do have a zany quality from time to time). Although I think most regulars here know I'm not a huge fan of "fun" in music generally (Bad Manners and Madness are my least favorite of the 2 Tone sphere of influence). But the real issue for me is how people's perception comes at the expense of trad ska or the more weighty 2 Tone groups. Just my frustration at a lack of public knowledge creating an umbrella opinion about something that's much more complex and the resistance to learning about any of it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 4:24pm
I think it's an issue that's deeper than ska. I like some jokey bands, for example, Skankin' Pickle, Fishbone (not always super jokey but they do have a zany quality from time to time). Although I think most regulars here know I'm not a huge fan of "fun" in music generally (Bad Manners and Madness are my least favorite of the 2 Tone sphere of influence). But the real issue for me is how people's perception comes at the expense of trad ska or the more weighty 2 Tone groups. Just my frustration at a lack of public knowledge creating an umbrella opinion about something that's much more complex and the resistance to learning about any of it.
To paraphrase George Carlin: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them think ska is all jokes"
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 4:13pm
Kory wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 3:04pm
Flex wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 12:52pm
I knew I read something about concert prices rising recently, this is from a few months back and Colorado specific: but ticket prices basically outstripped inflation so, yeah, going to concerts is more expensive than it used to be: https://coloradosun.com/2023/11/28/colo ... ets-price/

That's why I mostly go to free shows or, like, 1 or 2 tentpole shows a year.
I spend a ton of money on shows, I guess it's just something I've sighed about and accepted as something I can't change. This is compounded by the fact that I usually buy 2–3 tickets without having anyone lined up to go with.
I do this.
I need to stop. People can get their own damn tickets if they want to go.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 4:59pm
revbob wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 4:13pm
Kory wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 3:04pm
Flex wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 12:52pm
I knew I read something about concert prices rising recently, this is from a few months back and Colorado specific: but ticket prices basically outstripped inflation so, yeah, going to concerts is more expensive than it used to be: https://coloradosun.com/2023/11/28/colo ... ets-price/

That's why I mostly go to free shows or, like, 1 or 2 tentpole shows a year.
I spend a ton of money on shows, I guess it's just something I've sighed about and accepted as something I can't change. This is compounded by the fact that I usually buy 2–3 tickets without having anyone lined up to go with.
I do this.
I need to stop. People can get their own damn tickets if they want to go.
I normally get reimbursed or drinks are on them

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Not music but going to see Seth Myers tonight

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 5:56pm
Not music but going to see Seth Myers tonight
Tell him hi for me.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

The Damned (with Rat Scabies!) USA/Canada tour:

425282123_971180061036522_7384989888819997009_n.jpg

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Went to see Ian Prowse(again) last Friday. Excellent as always. Should have been at The Pretenders on Saturday but Chrissie postponed.
https://narcmagazine.com/live-review-ia ... -23-02-24/

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

white man wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 2:01am
Went to see Ian Prowse(again) last Friday. Excellent as always. Should have been at The Pretenders on Saturday but Chrissie postponed.
I saw The Pretenders about 12 years ago or so.

I was struck (and disappointed) by the fact that all the songs followed the recorded versions note for note.

Not a single improvisation or new arrangement!

That was the first (and hopefully last) time I've ever seen a live show where that was the case.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Spiff wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 11:37am
white man wrote:

I was struck (and disappointed) by the fact that all the songs followed the recorded versions note for note.

That was the first (and hopefully last) time I've ever seen a live show where that was the case.
I remember seeing the who twice and they did literally the same set years apart with the same between song banter and everything. One of the most disappointing concert experiences of my life.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 3:04pm
Spiff wrote:
white man wrote:

I remember seeing the who twice and they did literally the same set years apart with the same between song banter and everything. One of the most disappointing concert experiences of my life.
This is why, even though I have seen them like 16 times, the Violent Femmes never get old. They don't even have a setlist. Every single concert is different. Sure, they play the songs they have to play...but not always.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 9:20pm
Flex wrote:
Spiff wrote:
white man wrote:

This is why, even though I have seen them like 16 times, the Violent Femmes never get old. They don't even have a setlist. Every single concert is different. Sure, they play the songs they have to play...but not always.
Jen, the time Violent Femmes did an all Depeche Mode show.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I just scored primo tix to see The Damned on what might be their final tour, you don't want to miss this one

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

coffeepotman wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 11:18am
I just scored primo tix to see The Damned on what might be their final tour, you don't want to miss this one
I would but apparently they are too good to play Vermont

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 9:38pm
JennyB wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 9:20pm
Flex wrote:
Spiff wrote:
white man wrote:

Jen, the time Violent Femmes did an all Depeche Mode show.
That would be quite something for a band with a guitar, standing bass and a weber grill to pull off!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy