So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by coffeepotman »

I can tell you that The Damned are as good as ever, they are just dynamite live. I've seen the Danzig-less Misfits and it was fun but really pretty bad. I've seen you tube videos of the reformed Misfits and it depends on how much you can stand. I mean Glen is powerless and his voice is shot but that really doesn't matter because he rarely sings into the microphone. That's about the best I can say and I'm a fan of Danzig.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I've reported here before, but I've seen both the danzig-less misfits and the reunion misfits. The former was one of the worst shows I'd ever been to but the latter we're great. Silly, but super cool and played all the greats pretty well.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I've got tickets to see Glen Matlock at Joe's pub which is part of the NY Public Theatre, it's a pretty high class establishment. The last time I saw him he was playing in a band called the Slinky Vagabonds which I barely remember, I think it was a pick up cover band about 15 years ago in New York. Maybe somebody can help my memory here, had something to do with Bowie, and a clothing designer but not Varvatos. I'm too lazy to Google but I think it was Joey Ramones birthday party.

edit...Ah I was right https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keanan_Duffty

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

My thoughts after seeing Johnny Marr last night:

He has a pretty incredible collection of Fender guitars.
He's very much taken to the roll of front man - seemed very confident out front.
His backing band is really good.
The new songs in the set held their own against the classics. He did 20 songs: 11 solo; 5 Smiths; 2 Electronic; 1 Depeche Mode cover "I Feel You". I really dug the Electronic songs (Get the Message & Getting Away With It). Getting Away With It was really fantastic.
He seemed legit happy to be out there - came across as very engaging and friendly.
The guy can play. I say this well knowing his extensive catalog - but I've sometimes wondered how much of his sound came out of the studio - but he really is a great live guitarist.
His version of "How Soon Is Now" definitely trumps the version I've heard Morrissey do. I've always thought it a rather lackluster live song - but Marr really kicked it back to life. Featured some of his most impressive guitar playing of the night.
Guy is a very youthful looking 55.

I really loved the show. Been waiting a long, long time to see him live and it was worth the wait. Considering Morrissey's transformation into an grumpy old racist - Marr felt like a breath of fresh air.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 May 2019, 8:16am
My thoughts after seeing Johnny Marr last night:

He has a pretty incredible collection of Fender guitars.
He's very much taken to the roll of front man - seemed very confident out front.
His backing band is really good.
The new songs in the set held their own against the classics. He did 20 songs: 11 solo; 5 Smiths; 2 Electronic; 1 Depeche Mode cover "I Feel You". I really dug the Electronic songs (Get the Message & Getting Away With It). Getting Away With It was really fantastic.
He seemed legit happy to be out there - came across as very engaging and friendly.
The guy can play. I say this well knowing his extensive catalog - but I've sometimes wondered how much of his sound came out of the studio - but he really is a great live guitarist.
His version of "How Soon Is Now" definitely trumps the version I've heard Morrissey do. I've always thought it a rather lackluster live song - but Marr really kicked it back to life. Featured some of his most impressive guitar playing of the night.
Guy is a very youthful looking 55.

I really loved the show. Been waiting a long, long time to see him live and it was worth the wait. Considering Morrissey's transformation into an grumpy old racist - Marr felt like a breath of fresh air.
Glad that the show was everything you hoped for and that JM is doing his part to preserve good feelings towards the Smiths.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

coffeepotman wrote:
14 May 2019, 10:35pm
I can tell you that The Damned are as good as ever, they are just dynamite live. I've seen the Danzig-less Misfits and it was fun but really pretty bad. I've seen you tube videos of the reformed Misfits and it depends on how much you can stand. I mean Glen is powerless and his voice is shot but that really doesn't matter because he rarely sings into the microphone. That's about the best I can say and I'm a fan of Danzig.
Yeah I saw the Damned last year and loved them. Anyway, thanks to Livenation needing to sell tickets to Scalpers First, I got kicked out multiple times on multiple devices and wasn't allowed to by any tickets, so fuck 'em to death.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Kory wrote:
15 May 2019, 3:50pm
coffeepotman wrote:
Yeah I saw the Damned last year and loved them. Anyway, thanks to Livenation needing to sell tickets to Scalpers First, I got kicked out multiple times on multiple devices and wasn't allowed to by any tickets, so fuck 'em to death.
I had that same problem, it would not let me buy tickets from my desktop but would let me buy from my laptop, I thought it was the weirdest thing

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

coffeepotman wrote:
15 May 2019, 5:24pm
Kory wrote:
15 May 2019, 3:50pm
coffeepotman wrote:
I had that same problem, it would not let me buy tickets from my desktop but would let me buy from my laptop, I thought it was the weirdest thing
I tried on my laptop and phone to no avail. I seriously can't believe how corrupt the ticket buying system is. Between presales, rampant bots, and ticket companies that own their own third party reselling sites, it's fucking incredible.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

It's pretty despicable, also considering the extra charges and fees from Ticketmaster and the like it should be criminal

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

coffeepotman wrote:
14 May 2019, 10:46pm
I've got tickets to see Glen Matlock at Joe's pub which is part of the NY Public Theatre, it's a pretty high class establishment. The last time I saw him he was playing in a band called the Slinky Vagabonds which I barely remember, I think it was a pick up cover band about 15 years ago in New York. Maybe somebody can help my memory here, had something to do with Bowie, and a clothing designer but not Varvatos. I'm too lazy to Google but I think it was Joey Ramones birthday party.

edit...Ah I was right https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keanan_Duffty
Great venue!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

coffeepotman wrote:
16 May 2019, 11:22pm
It's pretty despicable, also considering the extra charges and fees from Ticketmaster and the like it should be criminal
As I recall, it used to be!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
17 May 2019, 2:24pm
coffeepotman wrote:
No Pearl Jam fixed that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 May 2019, 5:59pm
Kory wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
No Pearl Jam fixed that.
What else were they going to do with their time—make interesting music? Yeah, right.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2019, 6:02pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
No Pearl Jam fixed that.
What else were they going to do with their time—make interesting music? Yeah, right.
Literally impossible.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 May 2019, 6:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2019, 6:02pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
No Pearl Jam fixed that.
Literally impossible.
They are the Rush of the Pacific Northwest. That is, shitty music yet inspiring bizarre devotion.