So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 4:25pm
Silent Majority wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 6:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 6:58pm
Spiff wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 4:34pm
But every song seemed to have a saxophone solo or two that went on way too long.

I think horns should bring brief accents to the music for the most part, and long solos bore me.
That's my attitude toward solos in general. There are always exceptions, but solos tend to take me out of the song, leaving me to just endure things. A solo should be a bridge, a sensible connection between sections of the song, not something that kills the song's momentum.
It is a strangely jazzy holdover to continue into rock music, when you think about it. A solo makes sense in an atmosphere of experimentation and improvisation, but rock music - in its majoritarian form - is founded on a certain amount of regimentation and organisation when it comes to melodic forms.
Most rock solos are pre-written.
Brian May's weren't as he could never replicate them.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Spiff wrote:
But every song seemed to have a saxophone solo or two that went on way too long.

I think horns should bring brief accents to the music for the most part, and long solos bore me.
That's my attitude toward solos in general. There are always exceptions, but solos tend to take me out of the song, leaving me to just endure things. A solo should be a bridge, a sensible connection between sections of the song, not something that kills the song's momentum.
It is a strangely jazzy holdover to continue into rock music, when you think about it. A solo makes sense in an atmosphere of experimentation and improvisation, but rock music - in its majoritarian form - is founded on a certain amount of regimentation and organisation when it comes to melodic forms.
Well, I like loose, improvised music way more than I used to
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 1:57am
IT IS TIME

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 8:49am
Silent Majority wrote:
IT IS TIME

Stop grooming people.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 9:04am
Flex wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 8:49am
Silent Majority wrote:
IT IS TIME

Stop grooming people.
When did Flex become worse than Heston? I'm assuming it was a gradual thing and not a Freaky Friday moment, but a distinct shift has happened.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 9:14am
When did Flex become worse than Heston? I'm assuming it was a gradual thing and not a Freaky Friday moment, but a distinct shift has happened.
Heston doesn't post as often anymore, addition through subtraction taste-wise

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 9:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Maybe. Tho I think you have become distinctly worse, so don't sell yourself short here.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 9:35am
Maybe. Tho I think you have become distinctly worse, so don't sell yourself short here.
Like with assessing foreign policy, the wise person recognizes multi-causal factors for our crises of the day :ugeek:

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 7:13pm
Silent Majority wrote:
More so, the solo is a celebration of the virtuoso.

This is true:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 10:21am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Like with assessing foreign policy, the wise person recognizes multi-causal factors for our crises of the day :ugeek:
Fair. Are you Soros or the Clintons here?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 10:32am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

This is true:
True story: In Grade 7 or 8, in band class, I was assigned saxophone. I was not good but wasn’t especially bothered by that. The teacher also understood that I was not good and in the middle of class said to me (in front of the class), “The saxophone can produce beautiful sounds and horrible sounds, depending on the person playing it. You are not producing beautiful sounds.” I was switched to trumpet, which I was also not good at but was not switched.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 10:53am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

This is true:
True story: In Grade 7 or 8, in band class, I was assigned saxophone. I was not good but wasn’t especially bothered by that. The teacher also understood that I was not good and in the middle of class said to me (in front of the class), “The saxophone can produce beautiful sounds and horrible sounds, depending on the person playing it. You are not producing beautiful sounds.” I was switched to trumpet, which I was also not good at but was not switched.
That's what's wrong with this new generation: teacher's can't be dicks to little children anymore. It's making them soft. Participation trophy. Avocado toast.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 11:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 10:53am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

This is true:
That's what's wrong with this new generation: teacher's can't be dicks to little children anymore. It's making them soft. Participation trophy. Avocado toast.
:lol: In fairness to him, I really was not good at all. Perhaps he lacked some tact, but his analysis was spot-on.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 9:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Nah, Flex has been a Dave fan as long as I've known him.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 5:00pm
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Spiff wrote:

Brian May's weren't as he could never replicate them.
I guess he's not as good as everyone thinks.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc