So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 2:16pm
Flex wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 1:39pm
JennyB wrote:
10 Nov 2021, 12:07pm
We are going to take VH, Jr. to a Beastie Boys tribute band concert on November 27th. They are called Posse in Effect. I have a bad feeling it is going to lean heavily in the LTI direction, but we'll see.
How did this go?
It sucked. I know I shouldn't have expected much (I'm not generally a fan of tribute bands, but Ari never got to see the real thing, so I thought it would be fun). They didn't seem to get the memo that the Beastie Boys moved beyond the frat-boy attitude (and I know many argue that that schtick was satire in the first place - you and I talked about that before). They, like I predicted, played mostly LTI songs. They played Girls. Unironically.

Adding to the shittiness was the fact that we had to sit through an hour of a dj's set. Which is fine if you are at a club going dancing, but not fine when you are sitting down and waiting for a show to start.
That's a shame all around. Did Ari enjoy himself, tho? That is, you were approaching stuff with one foot in the political/historical camp and that affected expectations and experience, but presumably he went in more unfiltered.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 2:30pm
JennyB wrote:
Flex wrote:
JennyB wrote:
We are going to take VH, Jr. to a Beastie Boys tribute band concert on November 27th. They are called Posse in Effect. I have a bad feeling it is going to lean heavily in the LTI direction, but we'll see.
How did this go?
It sucked. I know I shouldn't have expected much (I'm not generally a fan of tribute bands, but Ari never got to see the real thing, so I thought it would be fun). They didn't seem to get the memo that the Beastie Boys moved beyond the frat-boy attitude (and I know many argue that that schtick was satire in the first place - you and I talked about that before). They, like I predicted, played mostly LTI songs. They played Girls. Unironically.

Adding to the shittiness was the fact that we had to sit through an hour of a dj's set. Which is fine if you are at a club going dancing, but not fine when you are sitting down and waiting for a show to start.
That's a shame all around. Did Ari enjoy himself, tho? That is, you were approaching stuff with one foot in the political/historical camp and that affected expectations and experience, but presumably he went in more unfiltered.
I think he had fun, but was really bored by the dj and was kind of tired by the time it started. I had to have a little chat about how the Beastie Boys grew over the years and that we need to remember that.

They also made zero attempt to sound like them. Like the Ad Rock didn't sound bratty and the MCA didn't sound gruff.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 2:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Flex wrote:
JennyB wrote:
How did this go?

I think he had fun, but was really bored by the dj and was kind of tired by the time it started. I had to have a little chat about how the Beastie Boys grew over the years and that we need to remember that.

They also made zero attempt to sound like them. Like the Ad Rock didn't sound bratty and the MCA didn't sound gruff.
Ah well, being bored and betrayed is all part of real experience. :meh:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 2:39pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Flex wrote:

How did this go?

Good point!
Got a Rake? Sure!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Not sure if I mentioned it already, but I'm taking my mom to see Jackson Browne and James Taylor tonight for her birthday. She's a big fan of 70's singer-songwriters. On one hand, I've heard many of these songs since I was a little kid, so they're etched into my mind. On the other hand, it's not a show I'd ever think of seeing on my own. I can always respect a good performance, however.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Flex wrote:

How did this go?

So, Ari's already a teenager, then? :mrgreen:
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Went to see Corridor last week — they were great. Sounded like The La's one song, then Wire the next.

First show since early 2020!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Spiff wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 2:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

He will be in 6 months. :angry:
Got a Rake? Sure!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 1:58pm
Not sure if I mentioned it already, but I'm taking my mom to see Jackson Browne and James Taylor tonight for her birthday. She's a big fan of 70's singer-songwriters. On one hand, I've heard many of these songs since I was a little kid, so they're etched into my mind. On the other hand, it's not a show I'd ever think of seeing on my own. I can always respect a good performance, however.
Enjoy it as time with your mom. Id gladly go to even a Phil Collins show with my mom if she was alive (she had good taste though so
...)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 3:59pm
Spiff wrote:
So, he'll be officially eligible for a junior membership (commonly known as The Eumaas).

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 4:09pm
JennyB wrote:
Spiff wrote:
So, he'll be officially eligible for a junior membership (commonly known as The Eumaas).
He would have about as much interest in this board as I would in a Phil Collins sex tape. All he cares about right now is hockey.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 4:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Spiff wrote:
He would have about as much interest in this board as I would in a Phil Collins sex tape. All he cares about right now is hockey.
A hearty pat on the back for having no interest in hanging out with us; a wagging of the finger to caring about snow soccer.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 4:05pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Enjoy it as time with your mom. Id gladly go to even a Phil Collins show with my mom if she was alive (she had good taste though so
...)
I agree. That's how I'm looking at it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
Congratulations, that's a "good son" move. I'm sure I'd do the same with either of my folks, but I'd probably bring some ear plugs along.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 4:23pm
JennyB wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 4:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Spiff wrote:
A hearty pat on the back for having no interest in hanging out with us; a wagging of the finger to caring about snow soccer.
I too love snow soccer, but I am getting pretty sick of snow soccer.
Got a Rake? Sure!