So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 7:46pm
Had a brilliant time at Stone Valley Festival at the weekend with my band. We were bottom of the bill but fucking hell, we had a dressing room next door to Geno Washington, I was buzzing. :mrgreen:

Some observations on the bands.

Band of the weekend were Cast. I've always thought they were a decent little pop/rock band but they were powerful as fuck live and played a brilliant greatest hits set.

The Undertones were brilliant but I don't like the singer's dancing. Great voice but he's annoying.

Geno Washington was fucking superb. 81 years old and delivered a vocal masterclass.

The Professionals were very disappointing. The crowd was totally flat when they were on.

From the Jam were fucking great though I think they play some songs a bit slow.

Peter Hook and the Light were disappointing after I'd heard good reports. Hooky hardly played his bass and really shouldn't be singing.

The Selecter were great and Pauline Black is one lovely lady.
Very cool, Heston. I bet that was a blast. Did you get to talk to Pauline? I love her.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 9:42am
Heston wrote:
Had a brilliant time at Stone Valley Festival at the weekend with my band. We were bottom of the bill but fucking hell, we had a dressing room next door to Geno Washington, I was buzzing. :mrgreen:

Band of the weekend were Cast. I've always thought they were a decent little pop/rock band but they were powerful as fuck live and played a brilliant greatest hits set.

The Undertones were brilliant but I don't like the singer's dancing. Great voice but he's annoying.

Geno Washington was fucking superb. 81 years old and delivered a vocal masterclass.

The Professionals were very disappointing. The crowd was totally flat when they were on.

Peter Hook and the Light were disappointing after I'd heard good reports. Hooky hardly played his bass and really shouldn't be singing.

Very cool, Heston. I bet that was a blast. Did you get to talk to Pauline? I love her.
Yes, had a bit of chat with Pauline about the rare Selecter footage from Alright Now I uploaded to my YouTube channel a couple of years back. She hadnt seen it since broadcast in 1979. Rhoda Dakar was also in the tent next to us as she was DJ'ing at the event, she was lovely too. Was also amazing getting nods from the likes of Paul Cook and Peter Hook, I could get used to this shit. :mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 11:07am
JennyB wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yes, had a bit of chat with Pauline about the rare Selecter footage from Alright Now I uploaded to my YouTube channel a couple of years back. She hadnt seen it since broadcast in 1979. Rhoda Dakar was also in the tent next to us as she was DJ'ing at the event, she was lovely too. Was also amazing getting nods from the likes of Paul Cook and Peter Hook, I could get used to this shit. :mrgreen:
Steady on rockstar. ;)

Nice one mate, sounds like you had a great time. Chuffed for you. I saw Geno Washington back in 80s. He was superb singing but acted very camp with a feather boa round his gregory.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 11:14am
Steady on rockstar. ;)
:mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 11:07am
JennyB wrote:
Heston wrote:

Very cool! Just don't tell them your opinions on WBTCORAR and KISS and you'll be golden!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 11:32am
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 11:14am
Steady on rockstar. ;)
:mrgreen:
As Paul Weller once wrote "to be someone must be a wonderful thing". ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Nice one John, bet you had an amazing time mate, certainly sounds so!

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 3:45pm
Cheers mate it was fantastic. Just hoping we get the call again.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 6:32pm
BitterTom wrote:
How long as the band been together now? It seems like a decade, hasn't it? Still all the same personnel?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 6:42pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
How long as the band been together now? It seems like a decade, hasn't it? Still all the same personnel?
12 years now. We had one guy leave after three years but he came back five years later so we're back to the original line up.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 6:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
12 years now. We had one guy leave after three years but he came back five years later so we're back to the original line up.
Three more years to institution status. :cool:

But five more to staying around too long. :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 6:50pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Haha, I'd like to think we'd know if we were going through the motions and retire gracefully. But we don't take it too seriously and just try to have fun. Humping the gear around doesn't get any easier but I look upon it as aerobic exercise. :mrgreen:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 7:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 6:50pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Haha, I'd like to think we'd know if we were going through the motions and retire gracefully. But we don't take it too seriously and just try to have fun. Humping the gear around doesn't get any easier but I look upon it as aerobic exercise. :mrgreen:
You either take it serious as capital A Art, or you make it completely fun. You've got the right attitude and it shows in the music. And one of the payoffs has been being able to hang with some of your idols growing up. You're living the goddamned dream of music geeks.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Violent Femmes on Friday! They are co-headlining with Flogging Molly, a band I have no interest in seeing. The Femmes are going on first though, and usually do a meet and greet after, so it worked out perfectly. They are also requiring proof of vaccination or a negative test within 72 hours, so the spreadnecks are all apoplectic. I assume they are Flogging Molly fans.
Got a Rake? Sure!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I just saw Yellowman is coming to town in October. We'll see if it still happens