So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 4:34pm
But every song seemed to have a saxophone solo or two that went on way too long.

I think horns should bring brief accents to the music for the most part, and long solos bore me.
That's my attitude toward solos in general. There are always exceptions, but solos tend to take me out of the song, leaving me to just endure things. A solo should be a bridge, a sensible connection between sections of the song, not something that kills the song's momentum.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 6:58pm
Spiff wrote:
But every song seemed to have a saxophone solo or two that went on way too long.

I think horns should bring brief accents to the music for the most part, and long solos bore me.
That's my attitude toward solos in general. There are always exceptions, but solos tend to take me out of the song, leaving me to just endure things. A solo should be a bridge, a sensible connection between sections of the song, not something that kills the song's momentum.
It is a strangely jazzy holdover to continue into rock music, when you think about it. A solo makes sense in an atmosphere of experimentation and improvisation, but rock music - in its majoritarian form - is founded on a certain amount of regimentation and organisation when it comes to melodic forms.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 6:54pm
It is a strangely jazzy holdover to continue into rock music, when you think about it. A solo makes sense in an atmosphere of experimentation and improvisation, but rock music - in its majoritarian form - is founded on a certain amount of regimentation and organisation when it comes to melodic forms.
That's why only the true greats like Dave can pull it off :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Spiff wrote:

More so, the solo is a celebration of the virtuoso. Rock n roll is supposed to be an amateur form—part of its appeal has always been the idea that anyone can do this. Certainly, some virtuoso talents have emerged within the form, but the premise of rock is that garage band ideal. Intellectually, that's something that's long annoyed me about metal—it embraces the superior skill premise. My heart and mind will always be with the punk populist position.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 7:01pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Everytime you say Dave, I will assume you mean David Lee Roth so that you seem even crazier.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 7:14pm
Flex wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Everytime you say Dave, I will assume you mean David Lee Roth so that you seem even crazier.
Very interesting that out of those two Daves, that's the one that you think makes me seem even crazier.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 8:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Very interesting that out of those two Daves, that's the one that you think makes me seem even crazier.
I stand with my assertion.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 8:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
My thoughts too. Id take DLR VH over DMB without hesitation.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Just announced for Charlotte, NC AND Raleigh, NC - REO Speedwagon, Styx, and Loverboy. I really like North Carolina but there are glaring shortcomings.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 3:09pm
Hello,

Just announced for Charlotte, NC AND Raleigh, NC - REO Speedwagon, Styx, and Loverboy. I really like North Carolina but there are glaring shortcomings.
Fun fact: I hate everyone who is looking forward to those shows.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Loverboy is Canada's Journey.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

I would challenge anyone to stay awake throughout the triple bill.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 4:05pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

I would challenge anyone to stay awake throughout the triple bill.
I would be far too enraged to sleep if I somehow found myself there.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Spiff wrote:

Most rock solos are pre-written.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 3:55pm
Loverboy is Canada's Journey.
This is, I think, entirely accurate, right down to the very punchable dickhead singer.