So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 6:32pm
Sparky wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 6:16pm
Pixies just canceled their 2021 tour due to concerns about the COVID 19 outbreak.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/pixies-c ... ty-3026625
There will be others.
I read over the weekend Neil Young pulled out of Farm Aid 2021 for the same reason.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I'm super glad I got to see punk in Drublic fest when I did. Right before delta really started hitting. Totally vaxxed and relaxed, one great moment.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 6:33pm
revbob wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 7:51pm
Some crazy variety in this.

Hello,

I'm guessing you'll be there for Black Sabbitch's set.
Oh how I wish. One of the band members is a local gal.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 7:29pm
I'm super glad I got to see punk in Drublic fest when I did. Right before delta really started hitting. Totally vaxxed and relaxed, one great moment.
It'll have to be the documentary for me.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I just bought tickets to see the Stones in Nashville on October 9th. Completely unplanned, but felt important in the wake of Charlie's demise. I saw them back in 1994 on the Voodoo Lounge Tour. Nashville is the only date that works for us. $300 for 2 seats, mid-level.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I wound up in NJ for work this week and Rancid/DKM are playing tomorrow. Hopefully I get out of work in time to make it. Plus just saw Gogol Bordello are coming to town on 9/15. Its a school night but Im planning to go.

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 8:52pm
I wound up in NJ for work this week and Rancid/DKM are playing tomorrow. Hopefully I get out of work in time to make it. Plus just saw Gogol Bordello are coming to town on 9/15. Its a school night but Im planning to go.
Lemme know if DKM makes a rare reference to Boston anytime during the set

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 9:32pm
revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 8:52pm
Lemme know if DKM makes a rare reference to Boston anytime during the set
If you're not paying attention you'll miss it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So I did make it to the show
It was an early start, around 5ish with the Bronx opening. A decent band will need to check them out more. Rancid kicked ass. They opened with Roots Radicals and like I told Flex I think they played nearly all of Wolves. A few from the debut and a handful from Let's Go. They did Hooligans and a few from the last. I dont think they did anything from Honour... which was too bad because I dig that album.

It was a bit of a weird crowd because a lot were there for Dropkick Murphys and there's all the trappings that comes with that like too many guys with scally caps and/or random shirts from Irish bars etc. I made tbe wise decision to not wear my Fenian Bastard shirt and instead went with the Black Panther style logo of local punks Rough Francis. There was also no doubt a cop contingent some of who clearly didn't like me shouting out as loud as possible the chorus to Rancid's St Mary.

I only recognized a few DKM songs from the first album. I really dont know their music but it was fine just seems to attract an undesirable element. The intro to their set was Sinead O'Conner's version of the Foggy Dew which was cool but probably lost on some of their fans who no doubt would have been upset to know who it was.

It was a great venue for a show and a beautiful night for an outdoor show.

I cant recall the last punk show I went to so this was a lot of fun. A really tiny cute woman stood in front of me at one point and jokingly asked if she was blocking my view. The sort of thing that never happened in my single days.

Yeah I had a great time.

Oh an no mention of Boston sports teams, who was that band?

Flex

Post by Flex »

Hell yeah, glad it was a good time man!

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

revbob wrote:
28 Aug 2021, 12:23am
So I did make it to the show
It was an early start, around 5ish with the Bronx opening. A decent band will need to check them out more. Rancid kicked ass. They opened with Roots Radicals and like I told Flex I think they played nearly all of Wolves. A few from the debut and a handful from Let's Go. They did Hooligans and a few from the last. I dont think they did anything from Honour... which was too bad because I dig that album.

It was a bit of a weird crowd because a lot were there for Dropkick Murphys and there's all the trappings that comes with that like too many guys with scally caps and/or random shirts from Irish bars etc. I made tbe wise decision to not wear my Fenian Bastard shirt and instead went with the Black Panther style logo of local punks Rough Francis. There was also no doubt a cop contingent some of who clearly didn't like me shouting out as loud as possible the chorus to Rancid's St Mary.

I only recognized a few DKM songs from the first album. I really dont know their music but it was fine just seems to attract an undesirable element. The intro to their set was Sinead O'Conner's version of the Foggy Dew which was cool but probably lost on some of their fans who no doubt would have been upset to know who it was.

It was a great venue for a show and a beautiful night for an outdoor show.

I cant recall the last punk show I went to so this was a lot of fun. A really tiny cute woman stood in front of me at one point and jokingly asked if she was blocking my view. The sort of thing that never happened in my single days.

Yeah I had a great time.

Oh an no mention of Boston sports teams, who was that band?
Sounds like a fun show. I recognise that description of the DKM crowd as i had a similar type of feeling the last couple of occasions I saw the Pogues, nothing dramatic or intimidating tbh, just felt dated and a little bit boring to me. Sineads Foggy Dew is amazing, as are the majority of her folk/trad covers.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Had a brilliant time at Stone Valley Festival at the weekend with my band. We were bottom of the bill but fucking hell, we had a dressing room next door to Geno Washington, I was buzzing. :mrgreen:

Some observations on the bands.

Band of the weekend were Cast. I've always thought they were a decent little pop/rock band but they were powerful as fuck live and played a brilliant greatest hits set.

The Undertones were brilliant but I don't like the singer's dancing. Great voice but he's annoying.

Geno Washington was fucking superb. 81 years old and delivered a vocal masterclass.

The Professionals were very disappointing. The crowd was totally flat when they were on.

From the Jam were fucking great though I think they play some songs a bit slow.

Peter Hook and the Light were disappointing after I'd heard good reports. Hooky hardly played his bass and really shouldn't be singing.

The Selecter were great and Pauline Black is one lovely lady.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 7:46pm
Peter Hook and the Light were disappointing after I'd heard good reports. Hooky hardly played his bass and really shouldn't be singing.
What were they playing, Joy Division or New Order? As neat as his performances of the entire JD catalogue originally were, there's a certain embarrassing self-tribute band quality now, like he's paying off a divorce.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 8:19pm
Heston wrote:
What were they playing, Joy Division or New Order? As neat as his performances of the entire JD catalogue originally were, there's a certain embarrassing self-tribute band quality now, like he's paying off a divorce.
Mostly JD with a dash of New Order. To have another bass player replicating your parts with the same model of bass seemed a bit sad. He would have been better off getting a Curtis-style singer in.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 8:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 8:19pm
Heston wrote:
Mostly JD with a dash of New Order. To have another bass player replicating your parts with the same model of bass seemed a bit sad. He would have been better off getting a Curtis-style singer in.
Yeah, have one “authentic” player versus everyone playing others' parts. Still, finding suicidal epileptics is probably a steep mountain hike.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft