So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by revbob »

Screenshot_20220405-224807_Instagram.jpg
This sucks.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 10:52pm

This sucks.
Sucks but couldn't be a surprise. I'm old and all those guy are older than me.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 11:01pm
revbob wrote:

This sucks.
Yesh but Keith Morris is in surprisingly good condition for 66. But seriously we dont get a lot of punk shows these days so an even like this getting postponed is a serious kick in the nads. Shows here skew vey hippie these days. I think Gwar is coming over the summer I need to see them again its been 30+ years.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 11:28pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:

This sucks.
Yesh but Keith Morris is in surprisingly good condition for 66. But seriously we dont get a lot of punk shows these days so an even like this getting postponed is a serious kick in the nads. Shows here skew vey hippie these days. I think Gwar is coming over the summer I need to see them again its been 30+ years.
31 years for me:
December 30, 1990 GWAR (all ages 1 pm) Liunachicks, Kalkan, Hordes Of Mungo

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 12:11pm
revbob wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 11:28pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:

This sucks.
31 years for me:
December 30, 1990 GWAR (all ages 1 pm) Liunachicks, Kalkan, Hordes Of Mungo
April 10,1988 at the Ritz in NYC. They opened for Danzig. People did not know what to expect it was insane and Im glad I was outside the splatter zone.

It was the second ever Danzig show.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Heston wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 12:35pm
The Stranglers were great a couple of weeks back. The newish drummer and new keyboard player are great but what really impressed was their vocal harmonies. They whole band sound amazing vocally, not sure if that was really there with Jet and Dave in the band.
They are the best stranglers tribute act out at the moment so they should be

Funny you mention the vocals, on some of the youtube clips i have seen i was suspicious of auto tuners being used on this last tour. Coincidentally i was not the only one as it seems to have made discussion on the MenninBlack forums as well.

I know you may have a better idea about these sort of things than me so did you feel that auto tuners were in use at all ? even if it was only subtlety ?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 6:48pm
Heston wrote:
The Stranglers were great a couple of weeks back. The newish drummer and new keyboard player are great but what really impressed was their vocal harmonies. They whole band sound amazing vocally, not sure if that was really there with Jet and Dave in the band.

Funny you mention the vocals, on some of the youtube clips i have seen i was suspicious of auto tuners being used on this last tour. Coincidentally i was not the only one as it seems to have made discussion on the MenninBlack forums as well.

I know you may have a better idea about these sort of things than me so did you feel that auto tuners were in use at all ? even if it was only subtlety ?
I'm not sure tbh, but if I were a betting man I would say no. I know a lot of bands use backing vocals (and other things) on backing tracks these days, maybe there's a touch of that going on?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Heston wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 2:30am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Heston wrote:

I'm not sure tbh, but if I were a betting man I would say no. I know a lot of bands use backing vocals (and other things) on backing tracks these days, maybe there's a touch of that going on?
I wouldn't put it past them; they would just write it off as moving with the times. I mean Jet did the same for the reasons he would only use a drum machine for the last 4 studio albums in the Hugh era. JJ was always very good at changing the story to suit the situation at the time he was always like that even in the Hugh era of the stranglers. He's a showman after all in show business we shouldn't really expect any less

Some on the stranglers forum have noted that backing tracks are being used as well , some of the string section of songs are represented on stage with no sign of those instruments. And that its very doubtful that the keyboardist would be able to play that and take care of his own keyboard responsibilities but it's all speculation so who knows. I'm not so fussed about the added strings as its not trying to replace what the band personally play it's just an addition to the song and its Sampling i have always supported with bands such as BAD.

No Hugh then no stranglers his unique voice was the sound of the band in my opinion and unfortunately a voice cant be replaced like a guitar can be. They were always proud to put themselves up high on a pedestal of what they were and about but that all changed when Hugh left and it became whatever suited the band at the time and more importantly whatever they could get away with.

The only real high moral standing person to keep to his word was Hugh himself. What you get with him would be 100% live with no tricks. He is genius enough to even rearrange the strangler's songs he performs live by replacing the keyboards with guitar rifs or bass lines in very imaginative ways. You wouldn't realise the keyboards were missing. For a 3 piece band that's pretty cool.

But as you found you had a fantastic time and so do so many others but i think it could be any singer up there not just Baz and you would be happy and that goes to show all credit just how good those songs were that Hugh wrote or co-wrote.

I think Paul being so unique and so far removed from the strangers look and attitude for so many years could only do Baz a favour by the time Baz took singing responsibilities the listening audiences were relieved to get a Hugh impersonator

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

oh i nearly forgot to add

I wasted over £200 on a hotel, petrol ,food and a 3.5 hours drive to Norwich to see Hugh Cornwell for him to pull the gig last minute due to losing his voice and then another 3.5 hours drive back the next day all on my own so that was a great time to be had. He has rescheduled for the 6th of December i got my money back though i tried once and that was enough to see him. When its not meant to be its not meant to be.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 8:08am
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Heston wrote:

I wouldn't put it past them; they would just write it off as moving with the times. I mean Jet did the same for the reasons he would only use a drum machine for the last 4 studio albums in the Hugh era. JJ was always very good at changing the story to suit the situation at the time he was always like that even in the Hugh era of the stranglers. He's a showman after all in show business we shouldn't really expect any less

Some on the stranglers forum have noted that backing tracks are being used as well , some of the string section of songs are represented on stage with no sign of those instruments. And that its very doubtful that the keyboardist would be able to play that and take care of his own keyboard responsibilities but it's all speculation so who knows. I'm not so fussed about the added strings as its not trying to replace what the band personally play it's just an addition to the song and its Sampling i have always supported with bands such as BAD.

No Hugh then no stranglers his unique voice was the sound of the band in my opinion and unfortunately a voice cant be replaced like a guitar can be. They were always proud to put themselves up high on a pedestal of what they were and about but that all changed when Hugh left and it became whatever suited the band at the time and more importantly whatever they could get away with.

The only real high moral standing person to keep to his word was Hugh himself. What you get with him would be 100% live with no tricks. He is genius enough to even rearrange the strangler's songs he performs live by replacing the keyboards with guitar rifs or bass lines in very imaginative ways. You wouldn't realise the keyboards were missing. For a 3 piece band that's pretty cool.

But as you found you had a fantastic time and so do so many others but i think it could be any singer up there not just Baz and you would be happy and that goes to show all credit just how good those songs were that Hugh wrote or co-wrote.

I think Paul being so unique and so far removed from the strangers look and attitude for so many years could only do Baz a favour by the time Baz took singing responsibilities the listening audiences were relieved to get a Hugh impersonator
All fair points I have to say. I like the Stranglers but I'm not an avid fan so I'm a bit more accepting of Baz. I didn't like Paul at all.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Heston wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 11:58am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 8:08am
Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Heston wrote:

All fair points I have to say. I like the Stranglers but I'm not an avid fan so I'm a bit more accepting of Baz. I didn't like Paul at all.
And i have to say you have identified a very good point i think it really depends on the attachment and closeness you have had to the band. I think we all have to be so grateful that the clash didn't go down that route. They made mistakes and i think that happens we are all only human (cut the crap comes to mind) but he didn't continue with the bull shit the mistake was realised and put right. Its a good thing that the whole clash camp had total integrity
If i had seen someone like the Undertones i bet i would have loved it and was not bothered by the lead singer not being original because as i said earlier the songs are just so good.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Thoughts on seeing Roxy Music? I'm tempted. We're looking for an excuse to go to NYC and tickets are not crazy. I think it's Ferry, Mackay, Manzanera, and Thompson ... which is pretty much classic era.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 5:36pm
Thoughts on seeing Roxy Music? I'm tempted. We're looking for an excuse to go to NYC and tickets are not crazy. I think it's Ferry, Mackay, Manzanera, and Thompson ... which is pretty much classic era.
Are there other potentially good shows happening around that same time? Like if you're already there why not see someone else too. Looks like St Vincent is opening. Bauhaus on the 9th in Brooklyn and Reagan Youth and other hardcore bands on the 10th.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 5:50pm
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 5:36pm
Are there other potentially good shows happening around that same time? Like if you're already there why not see someone else too. Looks like St Vincent is opening. Bauhaus on the 9th in Brooklyn and Reagan Youth and other hardcore bands on the 10th.
Bauhaus is very tempting and the date kind of lines up. We usually make NYC a Friday through Monday type of thing. That would be time well spent: Bauhaus on Friday, Roxy on Monday. My partner is big into dance, so our last visit was very dance focused. Maybe she'd be cool with this time being more music focused!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I just remembered that bought tickets for Peter Hook and the Light ages ago. I think that's coming up soonish.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc