The David Bowie is God Thread

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Kory »

14/15, I was going too fast and thought the clue for Changes was talking about Rebel Rebel.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

David Bowie The Midnight Special, November 16, 1973 full episode 1080P HD.

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Sparky wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 5:24pm

That's amazing quality WOW!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

coffeepotman wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 11:03am
Sparky wrote:

November 1973 was a real time of transformation for Bowie. The end of the Ziggy/Aladdin Sane-era and the end of the road for Ronno and the rest of the spiders. He'd start recording Diamond Dogs in January 1974 with a new lineup of musicians (and a new on stage persona).
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 12:43pm
coffeepotman wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 11:03am
Sparky wrote:

November 1973 was a real time of transformation for Bowie. The end of the Ziggy/Aladdin Sane-era and the end of the road for Ronno and the rest of the spiders. He'd start recording Diamond Dogs in January 1974 with a new lineup of musicians (and a new on stage persona).
And didn't miss a beat, musically. DD is such a fantastic album.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I recently read something on Reddit about Bowie's personas and how many he actually had and there was a discussion over what was a true persona and what was just a character. I'm of the opinion that the personas had to have appeared on tour, so:

Ziggy Stardust - Ziggy Stardust Tour - January 1972 - January 1973
Aladdin Sane (an American version of Ziggy?) - Ziggy Stardust Tour - February 1973 - July 1973
Halloween Jack - Diamond Dogs Tour - June 1974 - September 1974
The Soul Man - Diamond Dogs tour - October 1974 - December 1974
The Thin White Duke - Isolar / 1976 Tour - February 1976 - May 1976

By the time of the Isolar / 1978 Tour he had ditched The Thin White Duke and from that point on appeared simply as himself.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 10:03am
I recently read something on Reddit about Bowie's personas and how many he actually had and there was a discussion over what was a true persona and what was just a character. I'm of the opinion that the personas had to have appeared on tour, so:

Ziggy Stardust - Ziggy Stardust Tour - January 1972 - January 1973
Aladdin Sane (an American version of Ziggy?) - Ziggy Stardust Tour - February 1973 - July 1973
Halloween Jack - Diamond Dogs Tour - June 1974 - September 1974
The Soul Man - Diamond Dogs tour - October 1974 - December 1974
The Thin White Duke - Isolar / 1976 Tour - February 1976 - May 1976

By the time of the Isolar / 1978 Tour he had ditched The Thin White Duke and from that point on appeared simply as himself.
My completely unofficial thing has been that he has to change his hair for it to be another persona. Thus, Aladdin Sane and Halloween Jack are both versions of Ziggy in my mind.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The next box set.

Rock ‘n’ Roll StarDAVID BOWIE/5CD+blu-ray

CD 1So Long 60s (San Francisco Hotel recording) *Hang On To Yourself (early demo) *Lady Stardust (demo)Ziggy Stardust (demo)Star (Aka Stars) (demo) *Soul Love (demo and DB spoken notes) *Starman (demo 1 excerpt) *Starman (demo 2) *Moonage Daydream (The Arnold Corns version)Hang On To Yourself (The Arnold Corns version)Looking For A Friend (The Arnold Corns version – rough mix) *Haddon Hall Rehearsals Segue: Ziggy Stardust / Holy Holy / Soul Love *Star (Aka Stars) (Haddon Hall rehearsal) *Sweet Head (Haddon Hall rehearsal) **PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASEDCD 2Sounds Of The 70s: John PeelSESSION RECORDED ON 11TH JANUARY, 1972 AND BROADCAST ON 28TH JANUARY, 1972Ziggy Stardust *Queen Bitch *Waiting For The Man *Lady Stardust *Sounds Of The 70s: Bob HarrisSESSION RECORDED ON 18TH JANUARY, 1972 AND BROADCAST ON 7TH FEBRUARY, 1972Hang On To YourselfZiggy StardustQueen BitchWaiting For The ManFive YearsOld Grey Whistle Test PerformanceFILMED ON 7TH FEBRUARY, 1972 AND BROADCAST ON 8TH FEBRUARY, 1972 EXCEPT ‘OH! YOU PRETTY THINGS’ WHICH WAS NOT BROADCAST UNTIL 1982.Oh! You Pretty Things (take 1)Queen BitchFive Years*PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASEDCD 3Sounds Of The 70s: John PeelSESSION RECORDED ON 16TH MAY, 1972 AND BROADCAST ON 23RD MAY, 1972White Light/White HeatMoonage DaydreamHang On To YourselfSuffragette CityZiggy StardustJohnnie Walker Lunchtime ShowSESSION RECORDED ON 22ND MAY, 1972 AND BROADCAST FROM 5TH – 9TH JUNE, 1972StarmanSpace OddityChangesOh! You Pretty ThingsSounds Of The 70s: Bob HarrisSESSION RECORDED ON 23RD MAY, 1972 AND BROADCAST ON 19TH JUNE, 1972Andy WarholLady StardustWhite Light/White HeatRock ‘N’ Roll SuicideTop Of The Pops PerformanceFILMED ON 5TH JULY, 1972 AND BROADCAST ON 6TH JULY, 1972Starman*PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASEDCD 4Round And RoundThe Supermen (Ziggy session version)Holy Holy (Ziggy session version)Velvet Goldmine (Ziggy session outtake)Starman (original single mix)John, I’m Only Dancing (original single version)Recorded Live At The Music Hall, Boston.RECORDED ON 1ST OCTOBER, 1972The SupermenChangesLife On Mars?My Death *John, I’m Only Dancing*PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASEDCD 5Looking For A Friend (The Arnold Corns version 2022 mix) *Hang On To Yourself (early Ziggy session take) *Star (take 5 alternative version) *Lady Stardust (take 1 alternative version) *Shadow Man (Ziggy session version) *The Supermen (Ziggy session version 2023 Mix) *Holy Holy (Ziggy session version alternative mix) *Round And Round (alternative mix)It’s Gonna Rain Again (Ziggy session outtake) *Looking For A Friend (Ziggy session version) *Velvet Goldmine (Ziggy sessions outtake 2022 mix) *Sweet Head (Ziggy sessions outtake 2022 mix) *Starman (Top Of The Pops version 2022 mix)John, I’m Only Dancing (alternative Trident Studios version) *I Can’t Explain (Trident Studios version) *Bonus MixMoonage Daydream (2003 instrumental mix)*PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASEDBlu-rayTHE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST AND THE SPIDERS FROM MARSOriginal album mix (96khz/24bit Stereo)THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST AND THE SPIDERS FROM MARS AND EXTRAS2003 5.1 Mixes (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 – 96khz/24bit)WAITING IN THE SKY (BEFORE THE STARMAN CAME TO EARTH)Early Ziggy Stardust album tracklisting – December 1971 (96khz/24bit PCM stereo)THE SINGLES(96khz/24bit PCM stereo)OUTTAKES AND ALTERNATIVE VERSIONS(96khz/24bit PCM stereo)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 1:50pm
The next box set.

CD 1So Long 60s (San Francisco Hotel recording) *Hang On To Yourself (early demo) *Lady Stardust (demo)Ziggy Stardust (demo)Star (Aka Stars) (demo) *Soul Love (demo and DB spoken notes) *Starman (demo 1 excerpt) *Starman (demo 2) *Moonage Daydream (The Arnold Corns version)Hang On To Yourself (The Arnold Corns version)Looking For A Friend (The Arnold Corns version – rough mix) *Haddon Hall Rehearsals Segue: Ziggy Stardust / Holy Holy / Soul Love *Star (Aka Stars) (Haddon Hall rehearsal) *Sweet Head (Haddon Hall rehearsal) **PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASEDCD 2Sounds Of The 70s: John PeelSESSION RECORDED ON 11TH JANUARY, 1972 AND BROADCAST ON 28TH JANUARY, 1972Ziggy Stardust *Queen Bitch *Waiting For The Man *Lady Stardust *Sounds Of The 70s: Bob HarrisSESSION RECORDED ON 18TH JANUARY, 1972 AND BROADCAST ON 7TH FEBRUARY, 1972Hang On To YourselfZiggy StardustQueen BitchWaiting For The ManFive YearsOld Grey Whistle Test PerformanceFILMED ON 7TH FEBRUARY, 1972 AND BROADCAST ON 8TH FEBRUARY, 1972 EXCEPT ‘OH! YOU PRETTY THINGS’ WHICH WAS NOT BROADCAST UNTIL 1982.Oh! You Pretty Things (take 1)Queen BitchFive Years*PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASEDCD 3Sounds Of The 70s: John PeelSESSION RECORDED ON 16TH MAY, 1972 AND BROADCAST ON 23RD MAY, 1972White Light/White HeatMoonage DaydreamHang On To YourselfSuffragette CityZiggy StardustJohnnie Walker Lunchtime ShowSESSION RECORDED ON 22ND MAY, 1972 AND BROADCAST FROM 5TH – 9TH JUNE, 1972StarmanSpace OddityChangesOh! You Pretty ThingsSounds Of The 70s: Bob HarrisSESSION RECORDED ON 23RD MAY, 1972 AND BROADCAST ON 19TH JUNE, 1972Andy WarholLady StardustWhite Light/White HeatRock ‘N’ Roll SuicideTop Of The Pops PerformanceFILMED ON 5TH JULY, 1972 AND BROADCAST ON 6TH JULY, 1972Starman*PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASEDCD 4Round And RoundThe Supermen (Ziggy session version)Holy Holy (Ziggy session version)Velvet Goldmine (Ziggy session outtake)Starman (original single mix)John, I’m Only Dancing (original single version)Recorded Live At The Music Hall, Boston.RECORDED ON 1ST OCTOBER, 1972The SupermenChangesLife On Mars?My Death *John, I’m Only Dancing*PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASEDCD 5Looking For A Friend (The Arnold Corns version 2022 mix) *Hang On To Yourself (early Ziggy session take) *Star (take 5 alternative version) *Lady Stardust (take 1 alternative version) *Shadow Man (Ziggy session version) *The Supermen (Ziggy session version 2023 Mix) *Holy Holy (Ziggy session version alternative mix) *Round And Round (alternative mix)It’s Gonna Rain Again (Ziggy session outtake) *Looking For A Friend (Ziggy session version) *Velvet Goldmine (Ziggy sessions outtake 2022 mix) *Sweet Head (Ziggy sessions outtake 2022 mix) *Starman (Top Of The Pops version 2022 mix)John, I’m Only Dancing (alternative Trident Studios version) *I Can’t Explain (Trident Studios version) *Bonus MixMoonage Daydream (2003 instrumental mix)*PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASEDBlu-rayTHE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST AND THE SPIDERS FROM MARSOriginal album mix (96khz/24bit Stereo)THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST AND THE SPIDERS FROM MARS AND EXTRAS2003 5.1 Mixes (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 – 96khz/24bit)WAITING IN THE SKY (BEFORE THE STARMAN CAME TO EARTH)Early Ziggy Stardust album tracklisting – December 1971 (96khz/24bit PCM stereo)THE SINGLES(96khz/24bit PCM stereo)OUTTAKES AND ALTERNATIVE VERSIONS(96khz/24bit PCM stereo)
I was just reading about this on another forum, very tempting to pre-order, I have an audience version of the Boston Music Hall audience recording, a soundboard would be great.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
The next box set.

Time to buy a new bookshelf and a new house to put it in.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 3:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
The next box set.

🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 4:01pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
The next box set.

🤣
I have all my Bowie, Beatles, and New Order super deluxes on the floor, I just don't have anywhere to put them. Time to get rid of the big Mansun box maybe.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 5:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 4:01pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
The next box set.

🤣
I have all my Bowie, Beatles, and New Order super deluxes on the floor, I just don't have anywhere to put them. Time to get rid of the big Mansun box maybe.
You will run the risk of being attacked by grey lanterns.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

David Bowie writes back to the first American fan to contact him.
https://news.lettersofnote.com/p/i-hope ... to-america
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft