The David Bowie is God Thread

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by matedog »

Damn it, I can't find my oh so cleverly titled "David Bowie is Good" thread, but anyway, looks like he's half as good as Bruce: https://pitchfork.com/news/david-bowies ... 0-million/
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 1:39pm
Damn it, I can't find my oh so cleverly titled "David Bowie is Good" thread, but anyway, looks like he's half as good as Bruce: https://pitchfork.com/news/david-bowies ... 0-million/
It would have gotten more, but his estate insisted that Never Let Me Down be included. :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
Well I'm somewhat surprised, I would have thought Bowie's catalog would have been worth far more that Springsteen's. Don't get me wrong, I like Springsteen, but I don't think there's any comparison to Bowie in terms of music that was groundbreaking when it came out.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

matedog

Post by matedog »

Sparky wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 2:00pm
matedog wrote:
Well I'm somewhat surprised, I would have thought Bowie's catalog would have been worth far more that Springsteen's. Don't get me wrong, I like Springsteen, but I don't think there's any comparison to Bowie in terms of music that was groundbreaking when it came out.
In all seriousness, Springsteen has sold a lot more albums and is still alive to support new material, so I'm sure his value is higher irrespective of the quality of material.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 2:21pm
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
In all seriousness, Springsteen has sold a lot more albums and is still alive to support new material, so I'm sure his value is higher irrespective of the quality of material.
As long as there are white male sportswriters, there'll be a market for Bruce.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 2:25pm
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
:cool:

In spite of what the internet tells me, it's not so bad being a straight cis white male.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 2:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 2:25pm
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
:cool:

In spite of what the internet tells me, it's not so bad being a straight cis white male.
I've said that in a few classroom discussions, whenever I get the impression some guy wants to complain about being discriminated against. Being born white, male, middle-class or better, and straight is still winning life's lottery. The prize might be relatively less lucrative than in, say, the 1950s, but it's still way better than other demo groupings.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
This makes sense. Bowie is sadly not going to release any new music. The Boss still has that potential.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
I hadn't thought about the part about Springsteen still being alive and how that could increase the value of his catalog, but it makes perfect sense. Google confirmed he's sold more albums than Bowie, again, that kind of surprised me as well since Bowie was putting out albums since 1967.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Sparky wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 4:18pm
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
I hadn't thought about the part about Springsteen still being alive and how that could increase the value of his catalog, but it makes perfect sense. Google confirmed he's sold more albums than Bowie, again, that kind of surprised me as well since Bowie was putting out albums since 1967.
Yeah but he was considered reasonably non-mainstream until '83.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog

Post by matedog »

Why did I assume "Let's Dance" was Bowie's mega selling blockbuster? It looks like sold more than his other albums, but not a lot more (other than Canada where it was a relative blockbuster for him).

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 4:56pm
Why did I assume "Let's Dance" was Bowie's mega selling blockbuster? It looks like sold more than his other albums, but not a lot more (other than Canada where it was a relative blockbuster for him).
I assumed the same.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Slightly off topic, but I was looking at values of other bands and saw that Keith Richards has a higher net worth ($240 mil) than Mick Jagger ($200 mil).

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 4:31pm
Sparky wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 4:18pm
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
Yeah but he was considered reasonably non-mainstream until '83.
That's true as well. Springsteen is far less cutting edge than Bowie, his mainstream appeal is clearly reflected in the sheer numbers of records he's sold.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

if more popular equals better, I submit the Kardassians as evidence it doesn't.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak