Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Inder »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 3:04pm
Inder wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 3:02pm

I was in my thirties when I realized that Whoopi Goldberg doesn't have eyebrows.
I never noticed. Bowie on the other hand.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 3:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 3:04pm
Inder wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 3:02pm

I was in my thirties when I realized that Whoopi Goldberg doesn't have eyebrows.
I never noticed. Bowie on the other hand.
Wow but you know it suits her.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 2:58pm
Bowie looks awful in that pic.
Considering he woke up and said "I'm going to shave my eyebrows and wear my couch as a suit" he did OK
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 3:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 2:58pm
Bowie looks awful in that pic.
Considering he woke up and said "I'm going to shave my eyebrows and wear my couch as a suit" he did OK
Nah I reckon he lost his eyebrows down the back of his couch.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I've a bit of an odd request. Scary Monsters is my top choice for Bowie album - just tremendous for so many reasons! I've got Vampires of Human Flesh but was hoping to come across a good show where he was either touring to support Scary Monsters or played quite a few tracks from that album. Does anyone here have recommendations?

Thanks!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

gkbill wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 9:49pm
Hello,

I've a bit of an odd request. Scary Monsters is my top choice for Bowie album - just tremendous for so many reasons! I've got Vampires of Human Flesh but was hoping to come across a good show where he was either touring to support Scary Monsters or played quite a few tracks from that album. Does anyone here have recommendations?

Thanks!
Pretty sure he never toured 'Scary Monsters', and I don't think I've ever heard a song from it played live, not even "Ashes to Ashes". Agree it's a brilliant album, top 5 Bowie for me.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

muppet hi fi wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 10:17pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!
Pretty sure he never toured 'Scary Monsters', and I don't think I've ever heard a song from it played live, not even "Ashes to Ashes". Agree it's a brilliant album, top 5 Bowie for me.
He definitely did a few songs, though not all. He didn’t tour scary Monsters. Or Lodger, for that matter. Bowie tours were long but spaced out. I think he basically toured solo in 1983 and 1987.

Songs I Have Live Versions Of [Tour]:

“Up the Hill Backwards“ [Glass Spider - 1987]
“Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)” [Serious Moonlight - 1983, Glass Spider - 1987, 1995, 1996, unplugged tour (I think 1997)]
“Ashes To. Ashes“ [Almost every tour After it was released]
“Fashion” [1983, 1987, Sound + Vision - 1990]
“Teenage Wildlife” [1996]
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Wolter wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 10:38pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!
He definitely did a few songs, though not all. He didn’t tour scary Monsters. Or Lodger, for that matter. Bowie tours were long but spaced out. I think he basically toured solo in 1983 and 1987.

“Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)” [Serious Moonlight - 1983, Glass Spider - 1987, 1995, 1996, unplugged tour (I think 1997)]
Yeah, I was thinking just as I was writing my response to gkbill: I bet Wolt or Tep or Marky are gonna come on and say yup - he played a bunch of songs post-1980. Cuz I (very unfortunately) lost David on my radar after 'Scary Monsters' (even 'Let's Dance' was foggy/meh for me at the time) until 'Heathen'. So, yeah, I guessed there actually were probably live versions, official or boots.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

muppet hi fi wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 11:14pm
Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!

Yeah, I was thinking just as I was writing my response to gkbill: I bet Wolt or Tep or Marky are gonna come on and say yup - he played a bunch of songs post-1980. Cuz I (very unfortunately) lost David on my radar after 'Scary Monsters' (even 'Let's Dance' was foggy/meh for me at the time) until 'Heathen'. So, yeah, I guessed there actually were probably live versions, official or boots.
Hello,

Thanks to all who responded. I did a soulseek search and found those above as well as a lot of others. David could really project an aggressive fear with Scary Monsters and it's amplified live - love that! I did come across some oddities such as Can't Explain with Stevie Ray Vaughn and a good version of I'm Afraid of Americans with Sonic Youth. I think my techno-knowledge will allow me to share - not sure about post. Again, thanks to those who responded! This has been great.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

gkbill wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 12:05am
muppet hi fi wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 11:14pm
Wolter wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks to all who responded. I did a soulseek search and found those above as well as a lot of others. David could really project an aggressive fear with Scary Monsters and it's amplified live - love that! I did come across some oddities such as Can't Explain with Stevie Ray Vaughn and a good version of I'm Afraid of Americans with Sonic Youth. I think my techno-knowledge will allow me to share - not sure about post. Again, thanks to those who responded! This has been great.
The acoustic Scary Monsters from the late 90s almost sound like they’re arranged for American albums-era Johnny Cash.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 4:19pm
I missed this. Avoiding reading the answers posted.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

While watching the 400 minute documentary on the Friday the 13th movies, I learned that the producer for most of them, Frank Mancuso Jr, was a huge BOWIE fan, and that four of the screenplays were filmed under alias titles, including "Crystal Japan", "Repetition", "Aladdin Sane" and "Ashes to Ashes"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
13 Apr 2020, 4:48pm
While watching the 400 minute documentary on the Friday the 13th movies, I learned that the producer for most of them, Frank Mancuso Jr, was a huge BOWIE fan, and that four of the screenplays were filmed under alias titles, including "Crystal Japan", "Repetition", "Aladdin Sane" and "Ashes to Ashes"
Cool bit of info Tep.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

James mentioned listening to Aladdin Sane on twitter and I realized I hadn’t listened in a while. Damn this album rules.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Wolter wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 7:33pm
James mentioned listening to Aladdin Sane on twitter and I realized I hadn’t listened in a while. Damn this album rules.
i vote that it's next week's top 5 record