Wolter wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 4:18pm
Kory wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 4:14pm
Wolter wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 4:09pm
Kory wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 3:30pm
Friends, Earthling is a great album. I'll not hear anything against it.
Correct.
The songs are great and can definitely stand on their own, but there's a bit of a double bonus for me as a drum & bass fan. The whole thing has a great texture and mood.
I remember a lot of people at the time badmouthing the album as a failed attempt at drum & bass, but it has held up a lot stronger than many of the contemporaries.

I’d argue it’s as underrated as a 90s Bowie release as Lodger was as a 70s one.
Hello,

Who under-rates Lodger? Not a sensible being.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Wolter »

gkbill wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 11:39pm
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 3:30pm
Friends, Earthling is a great album. I'll not hear anything against it.
Correct.
The songs are great and can definitely stand on their own, but there's a bit of a double bonus for me as a drum & bass fan. The whole thing has a great texture and mood.
I remember a lot of people at the time badmouthing the album as a failed attempt at drum & bass, but it has held up a lot stronger than many of the contemporaries.

Hello,

The albums released around it get much more attention. It tends to slide under the radar in his 1976-1981 studio output.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Wolter wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 11:44pm
gkbill wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Correct.

Hello,

The albums released around it get much more attention. It tends to slide under the radar in his 1976-1981 studio output.
Hello,

Agreed as I think Scary Monsters is his best work. However, when compared to the totality of his work and the contemporary albums by other artists released around the same time, Lodger stands out. Boys Keep Swinging and DJ really stand out compared to other releases of that time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 12:37am
Wolter wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Agreed as I think Scary Monsters is his best work. However, when compared to the totality of his work and the contemporary albums by other artists released around the same time, Lodger stands out. Boys Keep Swinging and DJ really stand out compared to other releases of that time.
Just want to say Lodger is great. But gk it was released in 1979. So contemporary artists would include The Clash (London Calling) PiL (Metal Box) Joy Divison (Unknown Pleasures) Gang of Four (Entertainment) Elvis Costello (Armed Forces) The Jam (Setting Sons) XTC (Drums & Wires) The Specials (The Specials) The Damned (Machine Gun Etiquette) The Ruts (The Crack). 1979 was a hell of a year for great music.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 3:06pm
gkbill wrote:
Wolter wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Just want to say Lodger is great. But gk it was released in 1979. So contemporary artists would include The Clash (London Calling) PiL (Metal Box) Joy Divison (Unknown Pleasures) Gang of Four (Entertainment) Elvis Costello (Armed Forces) The Jam (Setting Sons) XTC (Drums & Wires) The Specials (The Specials) The Damned (Machine Gun Etiquette) The Ruts (The Crack). 1979 was a hell of a year for great music.
Hello,

After reading your list, I'll agree that 1979 was fantastic with some of my favorite albums released. I guess it was so far back I kind of lump everything together.

I bought Lodger at a Strawberries Record Store in Albany, NY during a midnight sale. The store was so crowded that I had to climb over the racks to pay for Lodger and Labor of Lust (Nick Lowe's great album that would add to your list). Great fun!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 3:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 3:06pm
gkbill wrote:
Wolter wrote:
gkbill wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Hello,

After reading your list, I'll agree that 1979 was fantastic with some of my favorite albums released. I guess it was so far back I kind of lump everything together.

I bought Lodger at a Strawberries Record Store in Albany, NY during a midnight sale. The store was so crowded that I had to climb over the racks to pay for Lodger and Labor of Lust (Nick Lowe's great album that would add to your list). Great fun!
Yeah that Nick Lowe album is great. I think I prefer Jesus of Cool from '78.

Just thinking how funny it would've been if you had bought David Bowie "Low" and Nick Lowe "Bowi". ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

A nice companion piece. The Clash could do something similar to bridge albums.

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/dav ... -a-circle/

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 4:58am

I'd love to have some releases from the Clash in-between "The Clash" & GEER as well as GEER & London Calling. Cost of Living EP was sort of between the first two and I still listen to it, so I'm sure there'd be a market for it.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 4:58am

Ooh. Some things I don’t have and some things I only have in fairly crappy condition bootleg!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I think The Lodger is a great album, and I like Visconti's remix from 2017. It was the first Bowie album in a while that had "songs" on both sides. Some of my all time favs "Look Back in Anger", "DJ", "Fantastic Voyage"(which happens to by me and the missus wedding song), "Boys Keep Swinging"...all top shelf. The rest are all very good too except I really do not like Sister Midnight rip off Red Money.

As for "the Width of a Circle" superdeluxe, I'm all for it, they are flooding the market with posthumous releases and I'm eating it all up. I love Bowie, all eras, including the much maligned Tin Machine!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

coffeepotman wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 11:23am
I think The Lodger is a great album, and I like Visconti's remix from 2017. It was the first Bowie album in a while that had "songs" on both sides. Some of my all time favs "Look Back in Anger", "DJ", "Fantastic Voyage"(which happens to by me and the missus wedding song), "Boys Keep Swinging"...all top shelf. The rest are all very good too except I really do not like Sister Midnight rip off Red Money.

As for "the Width of a Circle" superdeluxe, I'm all for it, they are flooding the market with posthumous releases and I'm eating it all up. I love Bowie, all eras, including the much maligned Tin Machine!
Heck yes.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

coffeepotman wrote:
The rest are all very good too except I really do not like Sister Midnight rip off Red Money.
Is it still a rip off if you rewrite your own song?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 12:28pm
coffeepotman wrote:
The rest are all very good too except I really do not like Sister Midnight rip off Red Money.
I consider that to be more an inspired by thing less a total rip off.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 12:42pm
Kory wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
I mean, Red Sails is a hell of a bigger rip off of Harmonia honestly, and that’s on the same album.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 12:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 12:42pm
Kory wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
I mean, Red Sails is a hell of a bigger rip off of Harmonia honestly, and that’s on the same album.
I think as Kory alluded to it was Bowie's music for Sister Midnight so if he uses it again it's not really a rip off.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia