Wolter wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 12:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 12:42pm
Kory wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 12:28pm
coffeepotman wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 11:23am
The rest are all very good too except I really do not like Sister Midnight rip off Red Money.
Is it still a rip off if you rewrite your own song?
I consider that to be more an inspired by thing less a total rip off.
I mean, Red Sails is a hell of a bigger rip off of Harmonia honestly, and that’s on the same album.
I think as Kory alluded to it was Bowie's music for Sister Midnight so if he uses it again it's not really a rip off.
I was agreeing. I mean, it’s...kind of lazy, but I meant there’s a legit straight lift from a lesser known band that Eno was an open fan of, so that one seems far more egregious than a song Bowie wrote in the first place.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 1:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 1:05pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 12:28pm

Is it still a rip off if you rewrite your own song?
I mean, Red Sails is a hell of a bigger rip off of Harmonia honestly, and that’s on the same album.
I think as Kory alluded to it was Bowie's music for Sister Midnight so if he uses it again it's not really a rip off.
I was agreeing. I mean, it’s...kind of lazy, but I meant there’s a legit straight lift from a lesser known band that Eno was an open fan of, so that one seems far more egregious than a song Bowie wrote in the first place.
Oh yeah for sure mate. I'm aware of "Harmonia" through a friend who was a big "Cluster" fan. I didn't know about the steal though.

The thing for me regards borrowing/stealing is how much I personally enjoy the the final outcome. If something is executed well then I don't much care where the artist got his idea from. Nearly all the bands I like have pinched ideas/riffs/lyrics from elsewhere.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 2:18pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Oh yeah for sure mate. I'm aware of "Harmonia" through a friend who was a big "Cluster" fan. I didn't know about the steal though.

The thing for me regards borrowing/stealing is how much I personally enjoy the the final outcome. If something is executed well then I don't much care where the artist got his idea from. Nearly all the bands I like have pinched ideas/riffs/lyrics from elsewhere.
I should be clear: I love both Red Sails and Monza as songs. He stole an awesome bit of music.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 2:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 2:18pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I should be clear: I love both Red Sails and Monza as songs. He stole an awesome bit of music.
😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Agree, didn't mean to slag off Red Sails, it was Bowie's or Eno's or somebodys music originally but he never played Red Sails live he did play Sister Midnight. Regardless an awesome song and one of the greats in the canon of rock music.

Iggy's lyrics and the music are pure legend. I love both songs but Sister Midnight is beyond reproach

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 9:26pm
Agree, didn't mean to slag off Red Sails, it was Bowie's or Eno's or somebodys music originally but he never played Red Sails live he did play Sister Midnight. Regardless an awesome song and one of the greats in the canon of rock music.

Iggy's lyrics and the music are pure legend. I love both songs but Sister Midnight is beyond reproach
Yeah Sister Midnight is very cool.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Reminds me of an anagram project I did using old library cross-reference index cards. The project was called "undexed". I did a Bowie one:
664822CA-8305-43AA-9DDD-8DE8DB8ACE16.jpeg
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JoseUnidos wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 10:31pm
Reminds me of an anagram project I did using old library cross-reference index cards. The project was called "undexed". I did a Bowie one:
Ha! Fine Shinshins has got to be a name in some Star Wars novel.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

I laughed stupid hard at this.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

JoseUnidos wrote:
Ha!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

JoseUnidos wrote:
I loved these when you posted them on Facebook!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Chopped onions and dustiness warning:
https://cheezburger.com/15268101/emotio ... sible-mask

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 7:52pm
I've always felt DB was a genuinely good, caring person and this just confirms it. What a great, great story!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 8:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 7:52pm
I've always felt DB was a genuinely good, caring person and this just confirms it. What a great, great story!
We are lucky to have shared the planet with DB, though even now that's he's left Earth behind... I feel fortunate to know we're still sharing the universe.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble