The David Bowie is God Thread

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48670
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 3:04pm
Tonight is definitely the worst, but in almost Cut the Crap-ish ways where the struggle for relevancy meshes up with a bizarre ineptitude that make it more interesting to listen to than, say, Hours. To extend the metaphor a bit, Hours is more like Megatop Phoenix, technically not the worst Clash-related product but pondering and tedious.
Wow! Megatop Phoenix is neither pondering or tedious. It's an album that's just gets better with each new listen. It's brave and adventurous.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 35409
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 9:25am
Flex wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 3:04pm
Tonight is definitely the worst, but in almost Cut the Crap-ish ways where the struggle for relevancy meshes up with a bizarre ineptitude that make it more interesting to listen to than, say, Hours. To extend the metaphor a bit, Hours is more like Megatop Phoenix, technically not the worst Clash-related product but pondering and tedious.
Wow! Megatop Phoenix is neither pondering or tedious. It's an album that's just gets better with each new listen. It's brave and adventurous.
Totally agree. I would only mark it down for too many repeated choruses at the end of a few songs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 54191
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 8:15am
Wolter wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 8:35pm
gkbill wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 7:25pm
Flex wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 3:04pm
Tonight is definitely the worst, but in almost Cut the Crap-ish ways where the struggle for relevancy meshes up with a bizarre ineptitude that make it more interesting to listen to than, say, Hours. To extend the metaphor a bit, Hours is more like Megatop Phoenix, technically not the worst Clash-related product but pondering and tedious.
Hello,

Cut the Crap doesn't have a Blue Jean.
Or even a Loving the Alien.

Though I would say that at least CTC is infuriating. Aside from those tracks, Tonight slides out of my mind in a sea of tired covers and cod reggae.
He apparently had more songs co-written with Iggy that he didn't finish for whatever reason. I have to imagine it would have been a better album if some of those songs had been included versus the covers that were.
One weird truism of mid-80s Bowie: most of his more fun/interesting work was movie soundtracks and outtakes.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48670
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 1:39pm
WestwayKid wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 8:15am
Wolter wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 8:35pm
gkbill wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 7:25pm
Flex wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 3:04pm
Tonight is definitely the worst, but in almost Cut the Crap-ish ways where the struggle for relevancy meshes up with a bizarre ineptitude that make it more interesting to listen to than, say, Hours. To extend the metaphor a bit, Hours is more like Megatop Phoenix, technically not the worst Clash-related product but pondering and tedious.
Hello,

Cut the Crap doesn't have a Blue Jean.
Or even a Loving the Alien.

Though I would say that at least CTC is infuriating. Aside from those tracks, Tonight slides out of my mind in a sea of tired covers and cod reggae.
He apparently had more songs co-written with Iggy that he didn't finish for whatever reason. I have to imagine it would have been a better album if some of those songs had been included versus the covers that were.
One weird truism of mid-80s Bowie: most of his more fun/interesting work was movie soundtracks and outtakes.
Yeah I'm down with this point of view.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4471
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 5:34pm
Kory wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 3:21pm
I can't add much to this since it's all true, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned NLMD, which also is pretty down there. More than Hours, I think.
I kind of like NLMD in a weird clumsy way. It’s not good, but I can find joy. The new re-recording if it is...interesting?

Hours is definitely worse than NLMD because other than a few tracks that are ok in an adult contemporary sense, it’s a total retreat from the interesting things he had done under the radar for much of the 90s.
I enjoy it. Definitely better than the original, but then again it must be noted that it was done without Bowie's input. He did apparently handpick the musicians, but he was dead before they started the work. I appreciate the fact that a lot of the gloppy synths were taken out and replaced by actual instruments and I've always liked Reeves' guitar playing.
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Rock on George, one time for Ringo." - Ringo Starr

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48670
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 3:44pm
Wolter wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 5:34pm
Kory wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 3:21pm
I can't add much to this since it's all true, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned NLMD, which also is pretty down there. More than Hours, I think.
I kind of like NLMD in a weird clumsy way. It’s not good, but I can find joy. The new re-recording if it is...interesting?

Hours is definitely worse than NLMD because other than a few tracks that are ok in an adult contemporary sense, it’s a total retreat from the interesting things he had done under the radar for much of the 90s.
I enjoy it. Definitely better than the original, but then again it must be noted that it was done without Bowie's input. He did apparently handpick the musicians, but he was dead before they started the work. I appreciate the fact that a lot of the gloppy synths were taken out and replaced by actual instruments and I've always liked Reeves' guitar playing.
Now there's a similarity to Cut the Crap. ;)
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 92772
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 54191
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Wolter »

GOD DAMN IT, IT’S NOT EVEN THAT BAD AN ERA!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48670
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 3:32pm
GOD DAMN IT, IT’S NOT EVEN THAT BAD AN ERA!
There's some decent stuff there.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 54191
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 7:28pm
Wolter wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 3:32pm
GOD DAMN IT, IT’S NOT EVEN THAT BAD AN ERA!
There's some decent stuff there.
It's not top notch but it's not nearly as embarrassing as the two preceding albums. Or for that matter, as dull as ...hours. It's a transitional period for him where he's trying to reconnect with actually making music he wanted to make, as opposed to attempting to stay on top of the charts.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29929
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Flex »

still a funny headline tho
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48670
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 7:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 7:28pm
Wolter wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 3:32pm
GOD DAMN IT, IT’S NOT EVEN THAT BAD AN ERA!
There's some decent stuff there.
It's not top notch but it's not nearly as embarrassing as the two preceding albums. Or for that matter, as dull as ...hours. It's a transitional period for him where he's trying to reconnect with actually making music he wanted to make, as opposed to attempting to stay on top of the charts.
Perfectly said.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 35441
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by tepista »

Image
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 35441
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by tepista »

my bar has an annual Bowie Birthday Bash (with Elvis on the coattails) and I'm feeling LOW (pun intended) since it's been suspended this year.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48670
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The David Bowie is God Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 9:56pm
my bar has an annual Bowie Birthday Bash (with Elvis on the coattails) and I'm feeling LOW (pun intended) since it's been suspended this year.
Swiggy Jardust and the Drinkers from Bars.

Bummer.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Post Reply