Public Image Limited

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by matedog »

With the preface that I'm a very casual PIL fan, I'm kinda mixed on it. Schmaltzy, sure, but has Lydon ever released anything like this before? I kinda appreciate that it's so different from anything i've ever heard from him. It's not very good, but I appreciate the effort.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Hey, "Double Trouble" is pretty good. Haven't heard this before.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 12:57pm
With the preface that I'm a very casual PIL fan, I'm kinda mixed on it. Schmaltzy, sure, but has Lydon ever released anything like this before? I kinda appreciate that it's so different from anything i've ever heard from him. It's not very good, but I appreciate the effort.
No, it's quite a stylistic departure for him. In the same way with Psycho's Path, I'm fine with complimenting the effort to do something quite different while regarding the results poor.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 8:16am
New PiL song, a very nice love song to Nora, is aiming to be Ireland's entry to Eurovision.

Thanks for posting this. Sad sweet feel, but I like it a lot. It reminds me of some Jah Wobble stuff.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
New PiL song, a very nice love song to Nora, is aiming to be Ireland's entry to Eurovision.

Nul points
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

gkbill wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 12:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 8:34am
Silent Majority wrote:

Whatever the sentiment and sincere expression of his love and concern, that's … that's not fit for public consumption. In construction or performance, it is not something that generates the emotions that he wants.
Hello,

I was just going to post this. John's trying to sing/croon. I don't think that's his strength.
His voice was best during the pistols (original, the reunion warbler has moments of his old self which is worth listening but on the whole ruins it) since PiL started his singing style has got more cartoonish as his ego has grown...the once shy Rotten with the raspy snarl is now the narsacist with the pantomime warble...for me any way...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

motorsmell wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 5:07am
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Whatever the sentiment and sincere expression of his love and concern, that's … that's not fit for public consumption. In construction or performance, it is not something that generates the emotions that he wants.
Hello,

I was just going to post this. John's trying to sing/croon. I don't think that's his strength.
His voice was best during the pistols (original, the reunion warbler has moments of his old self which is worth listening but on the whole ruins it) since PiL started his singing style has got more cartoonish as his ego has grown...the once shy Rotten with the raspy snarl is now the narsacist with the pantomime warble...for me any way...
Clinton Heylin once labeled post-Levene PiL as the Johnny Rotten Cabaret and his vocal style has, oddly, mimicked that more and more. I get that smoking and age has affected his range and all that, but he's left with and chosen to go with is less and less appealing. The pity is that in terms of players, this version of PiL might be the best, and the singer is the weak spot.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 7:30am
motorsmell wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Hello,

Clinton Heylin once labeled post-Levene PiL as the Johnny Rotten Cabaret and his vocal style has, oddly, mimicked that more and more. I get that smoking and age has affected his range and all that, but he's left with and chosen to go with is less and less appealing. The pity is that in terms of players, this version of PiL might be the best, and the singer is the weak spot.
I'm no PiL expert and only have a couple of the more recent records, I've obviously heard the wobble/Levene stuff....and I've seen wobble with his band, I told him afterwards that the Pil stuff he played sounded a lot better without that fat idiot warbling all over it! This Eurovision bid is just the next step in a long line of terrible decisions, he will no doubt have very sincere selfless reasons for doing it and will be happy to sit on every T.V sofa in Ireland and the U.K to explain his heroic actions....

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

motorsmell wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 9:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 7:30am
motorsmell wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

I'm no PiL expert and only have a couple of the more recent records, I've obviously heard the wobble/Levene stuff....and I've seen wobble with his band, I told him afterwards that the Pil stuff he played sounded a lot better without that fat idiot warbling all over it!
:lol: When Wobble and Levene toured Metal Box around ten years ago, those boots were amazing, showing off how powerful that record still is. And Wobble's recent re-interpretation of the album is well worth checking out. "Albatross" becomes a mix of Metal Box and Album PiL.
This Eurovision bid is just the next step in a long line of terrible decisions, he will no doubt have very sincere selfless reasons for doing it and will be happy to sit on every T.V sofa in Ireland and the U.K to explain his heroic actions....
I saw a comment online about the absurdity of Brexiter Lydon now finding Europe appealing. A bit superficial reasoning, but amusing still.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

The Brexit (I hate that word, sign of the times when you need a neat play ground catchphrase to sell a political calamity) comments he made I think was just him playing to the marginally bigger crowd. He had 2 choices and the leave vote won so he went with that. It's all about him, never the political bollocks he chirps on about, it's whatever gets his name in the papers...for someone who constantly slags off Strummer for being "fake" he's done a lot of celebrity bull shit over the years always with a very sincere alteria motive of course, like that Jester shit not long back. It seems to me he never turns down a chance to get on TV.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

motorsmell wrote:
11 Jan 2023, 6:50am
The Brexit (I hate that word, sign of the times when you need a neat play ground catchphrase to sell a political calamity) comments he made I think was just him playing to the marginally bigger crowd. He had 2 choices and the leave vote won so he went with that. It's all about him, never the political bollocks he chirps on about, it's whatever gets his name in the papers...for someone who constantly slags off Strummer for being "fake" he's done a lot of celebrity bull shit over the years always with a very sincere alteria motive of course, like that Jester shit not long back. It seems to me he never turns down a chance to get on TV.
He's a weird combination of someone who craves the limelight, to be the star who is discussed and applauded, yet he's pretty lazy in that he's not hyping his "brand" online the way that is expected now. That drive is what propelled him and the Pistols forward—without it, they never would have gone anywhere—but it makes him look like a sad and foolish old man because he still wants the Johnny Rotten cred while demanding we respect him as our better and our elder no matter what he says and does. He's absurdly more status-conscious in a way that Joe or Mick weren't/aren't.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

https://www.nme.com/news/music/john-lyd ... 9vmi_tWCjY

I'm not convinced he actually believes in anything.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 6:52pm
https://www.nme.com/news/music/john-lyd ... 9vmi_tWCjY

I'm not convinced he actually believes in anything.
So disgusting that he's now on at least his second attempt to get a song on it. Fuck, that man is exhausting.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

He never stood a chance. The whole thing was stupid from start to finish. The song isn't for me but then it isn't really for anyone except Nora so I can respect that much. That said it'll probably get to number one now. :rolleyes:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia