Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 5:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 5:09pm

Late 80s PiL had a definite look. :twitch:
He's lip syncing too right?
Not 100% sure, but I lean towards yes.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 5:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 5:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 5:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 5:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 5:09pm

Late 80s PiL had a definite look. :twitch:
Bloody dreadful attire. Like Bart Simpson meets surfer dude. :disshame:
Mercifully, I'm not drawn to the music, either. He had a fantastic group of musicians around him, but he embraced the worst of the vaguely alt scene at the time.
I'm sure we discussed this before but I think you can get like 5 maybe 6 decent songs from the last 3 albums of that era. The production and sound from such a solid set of musicians is bad. I might even suggest that Lydon's lazy lyrics aside there are more decent tunes on the more recent 2 albums.
6 sounds about right—maybe 3 from Happy?, 2 from 9, 1 from TWIN. And, yes, the current version of PiL is quite strong, the singer aside (how weird is that?).
100% on the number of tracks from each. Yep Lydon is now really the let down on any new material. Live he's still a force with the back catalog to rely on. But his lyrics on the last two PiL albums are lazy even by his standards.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 5:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 5:13pm

Bloody dreadful attire. Like Bart Simpson meets surfer dude. :disshame:
Mercifully, I'm not drawn to the music, either. He had a fantastic group of musicians around him, but he embraced the worst of the vaguely alt scene at the time.
I'm sure we discussed this before but I think you can get like 5 maybe 6 decent songs from the last 3 albums of that era. The production and sound from such a solid set of musicians is bad. I might even suggest that Lydon's lazy lyrics aside there are more decent tunes on the more recent 2 albums.
6 sounds about right—maybe 3 from Happy?, 2 from 9, 1 from TWIN. And, yes, the current version of PiL is quite strong, the singer aside (how weird is that?).
100% on the number of tracks from each. Yep Lydon is now really the let down on any new material. Live he's still a force with the back catalog to rely on. But his lyrics on the last two PiL albums are lazy even by his standards.
Plus, as I've carped about in the past, he doesn't have the voice anymore. Not his fault, of course, but, unlike Bowie, he hasn't been able to successfully develop new singing styles as he ages (his quasi-crooning effort is not appealing). Made worse by the fact that his voice as a young man was so compelling.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 6:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Plus, as I've carped about in the past, he doesn't have the voice anymore. Not his fault, of course, but, unlike Bowie, he hasn't been able to successfully develop new singing styles as he ages (his quasi-crooning effort is not appealing). Made worse by the fact that his voice as a young man was so compelling.
His problem is that he never had a singing voice to begin with (unlike Bowie) and now he over compensates to sound like his former self. Some horrible deep growls and screeching at times. Oddly enough the track from the last album "The One" which sounds a bit T. Rex in structure actually has John in decent voice yet it doesn't sound as much like him.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 6:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

His problem is that he never had a singing voice to begin with (unlike Bowie) and now he over compensates to sound like his former self. Some horrible deep growls and screeching at times. Oddly enough the track from the last album "The One" which sounds a bit T. Rex in structure actually has John in decent voice yet it doesn't sound as much like him.
I wonder if he's pursued any professional assistance in recent years to help him recover that old voice. Or is this just being bullheaded about where he's at?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 6:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I wonder if he's pursued any professional assistance in recent years to help him recover that old voice. Or is this just being bullheaded about where he's at?
Has to be the latter I think mate. Part arrogance regards his greatness and part necessity. He sings to a degree when he is on the quieter numbers like the recent dreadful ode to Nora but then any trace of his true form is gone. I genuinely believe that when the Pistols first got back together and the subsequent reunions have had an adverse affect on those old vocal cords.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 7:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Has to be the latter I think mate. Part arrogance regards his greatness and part necessity. He sings to a degree when he is on the quieter numbers like the recent dreadful ode to Nora but then any trace of his true form is gone. I genuinely believe that when the Pistols first got back together and the subsequent reunions have had an adverse affect on those old vocal cords.
Funny, it's when I heard boots of the 90s reunion that I became conscious of his voice having lost its distinct quality. On a few songs he still nailed it like he was still 21, but on so many songs he sounded "off." Rather, not matching my expectations (which, to be fair, was unreasonable on my part—he wasn't 21 anymore). And when PiL got going again, with the A Life records, it was really noticeable that he couldn't deliver in the same way.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 10:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 7:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Funny, it's when I heard boots of the 90s reunion that I became conscious of his voice having lost its distinct quality. On a few songs he still nailed it like he was still 21, but on so many songs he sounded "off." Rather, not matching my expectations (which, to be fair, was unreasonable on my part—he wasn't 21 anymore). And when PiL got going again, with the A Life records, it was really noticeable that he couldn't deliver in the same way.
Yep agree. I think it's a case for fans to just accept that's how it is. The show at Finsbury Park in '96 was excellent with a terrific line up of bands. The band played great and proved to the press they could still cut it after 20 years. But those reunions got progressively worse each time.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Re-watching/listening to this right now – not sure if it’s been posted before? Jah Wobble interview from 2015. I thought this was a very good interview. The interviewer stays out of the way and lets Wobble talk and ramble 99% of the time. Full of great little story bits, some good PIL talk early on, and then he talks about Invaders of the Heart and his later career. Maybe not new to everyone here, but I enjoyed this a lot. About an hour long and well worth a listen or re-listen.

Last edited by Kimmelweck on 21 Feb 2023, 6:41am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kimmelweck wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 6:12am
Re-watching/listening to this right now – not sure if it’s been posted before? Jah Wobble interview from 2015. I thought this was a very good interview. The interviewer stays out of the way and let’s Wobble talk and ramble 99% of the time. Full of great little story bits, some good PIL talk early on, and then he talks about Invaders of the Heart and his later career. Maybe not new to everyone here, but I enjoyed this a lot. About an hour long and well worth a listen or re-listen.

I watched that back when and agree it's a good interview.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
— Seattle, Hard Times, Fat Chance Hotel
— USLS 1, Worry
— Uhh, I'm not sure where you're going with this one
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 3:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
— Seattle, Hard Times, Fat Chance Hotel
— USLS 1, Worry
— Uhh, I'm not sure where you're going with this one
I'd probably substitute "The Body" for "Hard Times" and "Disappointed" for "Worry," and "Acid Drops" off TWIN. Of those six, FCH and USLS1 are the only ones I'd truly get behind.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Did they make videos for those albums? Maybe that could be my next deep dive...
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Also, I had no idea they did Pistols songs at points in their career.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 5:00pm
Did they make videos for those albums? Maybe that could be my next deep dive...
Yeah, PiL was steadily doing the video thing from This Is What You Want onward. Most are pretty cringey, in my memory, except for the singles from Album. There are a few videos before that, but it's a bit more scattershot. They're mostly all performance-esqe stuff. Not terribly interesting.