Public Image Limited

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Heston »

Calling Marky and all PIL experts. Is the full 1979 interview and performance of Chant from ITV's Check It Out circulating on video?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 2:54pm
Calling Marky and all PIL experts. Is the full 1979 interview and performance of Chant from ITV's Check It Out circulating on video?
I don't think so. A few years back it was up on YouTube but it's been removed and just an edited version is available.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 3:32pm
Heston wrote:
I don't think so. A few years back it was up on YouTube but it's been removed and just an edited version is available.
I thought so mate. I should have it on YouTube in about half an hour.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 3:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 3:32pm
Heston wrote:
I thought so mate. I should have it on YouTube in about half an hour.
I will listen to one shitty KISS song of your choosing in gratitude. :cool:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 4:18pm
Ok, make it "You Matter To Me" by Peter Criss as I know you hate it. Here you go...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 4:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Ok, make it "You Matter To Me" by Peter Criss as I know you hate it. Here you go...

Fantastic. Great version of "Chant," Lydon in diva mode, and "glad I didn't draw the short straw." :lol:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Oh my fucking god, this is the worst Hall and Oates song I've ever heard.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Years since I've seen that. I'm sure though the whole segment starts with your old mate Mensi slagging off Lydon for selling out.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 5:56pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Years since I've seen that. I'm sure though the whole segment starts with your old mate Mensi slagging off Lydon for selling out.
No mate, I have the full episode. Only Mond gets stuck into Johnny as seen in the clip above. There was an ad break before PIL come on.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Levene. What a waste. Look at those chord shapes he's playing. Straight up classical fingering.

Fucker was tuned into something very deep. And the smack washed it all away.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 6:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

No mate, I have the full episode. Only Mond gets stuck into Johnny as seen in the clip above. There was an ad break before PIL come on.
I thought it was just the same clip after Chant where the band walk off. But it's the full clip nice one mate.

If Universal had that footage then that version of Chant would've made the Metal Box box set. They included Death Disco from TOTP.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 6:17pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I thought it was just the same clip after Chant where the band walk off. But it's the full clip nice one mate.

If Universal had that footage then that version of Chant would've made the Metal Box box set. They included Death Disco from TOTP.
The guys at Universal mustn't have a mate who has access to the ITV archives. ;)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 6:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 6:17pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

The guys at Universal mustn't have a mate who has access to the ITV archives. ;)
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

That clip also reinforces how immune to history the band was at that point. It could have been released this year for all a person would know. It's just full-on weirdo music apart from anything around it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 6:43pm
That clip also reinforces how immune to history the band was at that point. It could have been released this year for all a person would know. It's just full-on weirdo music apart from anything around it.
This is what set them apart at this time. That attitude that said "we'll make whatever music we want to and are capable of" fuck the current trend and what the record label thinks or if it has any commercial appeal. Of course you have to take into account it was Johnny Rottens new group so he could have released the sound of him taking a shot and it would've sold. Which seems all the more remarkable that "Public Image" was/is such an amazing first single.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia