04 Feb 2023, 7:01pm
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:50pm
revbob wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:48pm

I'll look it up.
That's a complete guess on my part, given the time period of the song and its title.
Right album but Francis Massacre is the tune. Though I'm not 100% certain who Francis Moran is meant to be.

https://genius.com/Public-image-ltd-fra ... cre-lyrics
IRA prisoner who was hanged in Mountjoy prison.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick ... epublican)
Cheers Marky. That's actually quite amazing, i spend every day in Moran Park and frequent the amazing library there but was never aware of its history until now. I will have to do some more digging into that.
It was something I looked up many years ago when I first saw the lyrics and wondered the same as you. That's cool that the park is named after him. I assume that's what you're saying?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:35pm
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:16pm
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:49pm

That's more or less my guess. Asshole barman acts like an asshole and Lydon pushes back. And good on him if he was basically justifying his existence to this guy.
Yeah, i mean the only thing I can say with conviction here is that not all but a lot of barmen back then could be real assholes. If they didn't like the cut of your jib, too bad, you weren't getting served and being a punk at that time in Ireland was pretty much automatic refusal in a lot of places. My instinct is to be with John on this one.
So they were jaded record shop clerks (see Jack Black's character in High Fidelity). :shifty:
I can definitely picture Jack Blacks character refusing to serve a customer because he thought they looked "very seedy."
Jack Blacks character actually looked way seedier than the customers.🤣
I can't say for certain, but there's a good chance that that movie and that character was when I decided I wanted to punch Jack Black in the face just for, well, showing his face. I mean, he pulls off that character but, like, too well.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:04pm

Yeah, i mean the only thing I can say with conviction here is that not all but a lot of barmen back then could be real assholes. If they didn't like the cut of your jib, too bad, you weren't getting served and being a punk at that time in Ireland was pretty much automatic refusal in a lot of places. My instinct is to be with John on this one.
So they were jaded record shop clerks (see Jack Black's character in High Fidelity). :shifty:
I can definitely picture Jack Blacks character refusing to serve a customer because he thought they looked "very seedy."
I can't say for certain, but there's a good chance that that movie and that character was when I decided I wanted to punch Jack Black in the face just for, well, showing his face. I mean, he pulls off that character but, like, too well.
It's a fun movie. But I relate to the book more so being in an English setting. Having mates who worked in record shops and doing record fairs for a fair few years back in the late 80s early 90s. I met some real characters and some not that far away from Blacks character.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:38pm
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:01pm
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:50pm

That's a complete guess on my part, given the time period of the song and its title.
Right album but Francis Massacre is the tune. Though I'm not 100% certain who Francis Moran is meant to be.

https://genius.com/Public-image-ltd-fra ... cre-lyrics
IRA prisoner who was hanged in Mountjoy prison.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick ... epublican)
Cheers Marky. That's actually quite amazing, i spend every day in Moran Park and frequent the amazing library there but was never aware of its history until now. I will have to do some more digging into that.
It was something I looked up many years ago when I first saw the lyrics and wondered the same as you. That's cool that the park is named after him. I assume that's what you're saying?
Exactly, I've been in or around that park for years and never twigged the story behind the name. And I like to think of myself as some kind of history buff :rolleyes:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's a fun movie. But I relate to the book more so being in an English setting. Having mates who worked in record shops and doing record fairs for a fair few years back in the late 80s early 90s. I met some real characters and some not that far away from Blacks character.
Tho it's been decades since I read the book, I much much preferred it to the movie. Maybe it was because I encountered the book before the movie so that's what became the "true" version. I dunno. But it is such a music geek story that only a small segment of the population really get. I remember seeing it with the Boss and a friend and they kept elbowing me, saying, "That's you!" Yeah, yeah, fuck off, I know. :disshame:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 8:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Tho it's been decades since I read the book, I much much preferred it to the movie. Maybe it was because I encountered the book before the movie so that's what became the "true" version. I dunno. But it is such a music geek story that only a small segment of the population really get. I remember seeing it with the Boss and a friend and they kept elbowing me, saying, "That's you!" Yeah, yeah, fuck off, I know. :disshame:
🤣 when fiction becomes fact or maybe reality at least. Half a lifetime spent looking in grubby little boxes. Guys have been sent down for less.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 8:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 8:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

🤣 when fiction becomes fact or maybe reality at least. Half a lifetime spent looking in grubby little boxes. Guys have been sent down for less.
:lol: I mean, fuck me for being thrilled to find that Cocteau Twins' 12" that was import-only. Those people should be ashamed for not getting that stupid thrill! Yeah, they're the weirdos!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 1:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 1:21pm
He never stood a chance. The whole thing was stupid from start to finish. The song isn't for me but then it isn't really for anyone except Nora so I can respect that much. That said it'll probably get to number one now. :rolleyes:
That's my attitude. I don't care for it at all—it's pretty much unlistenable—but it's deeply personal and shouldn't have been put forward in such a crassly commercial way.
I meant to ask, is there any philanthropic aspect of this song? Does it raise funds for anything? I don’t know what Eurovision is.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 11:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 1:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 1:21pm
He never stood a chance. The whole thing was stupid from start to finish. The song isn't for me but then it isn't really for anyone except Nora so I can respect that much. That said it'll probably get to number one now. :rolleyes:
That's my attitude. I don't care for it at all—it's pretty much unlistenable—but it's deeply personal and shouldn't have been put forward in such a crassly commercial way.
I meant to ask, is there any philanthropic aspect of this song? Does it raise funds for anything? I don’t know what Eurovision is.
Not that I've heard. Perhaps when it's formally released as a single we'll hear that profits will go to alzheimer's research.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Late 80s PiL had a definite look. :twitch:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 5:09pm

Bloody dreadful attire. Like Bart Simpson meets surfer dude. :disshame:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 5:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Mercifully, I'm not drawn to the music, either. He had a fantastic group of musicians around him, but he embraced the worst of the vaguely alt scene at the time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 5:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Mercifully, I'm not drawn to the music, either. He had a fantastic group of musicians around him, but he embraced the worst of the vaguely alt scene at the time.
I'm sure we discussed this before but I think you can get like 5 maybe 6 decent songs from the last 3 albums of that era. The production and sound from such a solid set of musicians is bad. I might even suggest that Lydon's lazy lyrics aside there are more decent tunes on the more recent 2 albums.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 5:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 5:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm sure we discussed this before but I think you can get like 5 maybe 6 decent songs from the last 3 albums of that era. The production and sound from such a solid set of musicians is bad. I might even suggest that Lydon's lazy lyrics aside there are more decent tunes on the more recent 2 albums.
6 sounds about right—maybe 3 from Happy?, 2 from 9, 1 from TWIN. And, yes, the current version of PiL is quite strong, the singer aside (how weird is that?).

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

He's lip syncing too right?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.