Public Image Limited

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 1:21pm
He never stood a chance. The whole thing was stupid from start to finish. The song isn't for me but then it isn't really for anyone except Nora so I can respect that much. That said it'll probably get to number one now. :rolleyes:
That's my attitude. I don't care for it at all—it's pretty much unlistenable—but it's deeply personal and shouldn't have been put forward in such a crassly commercial way.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 1:25pm
shouldn't have been put forward in such a crassly commercial way.
Ahh, but that just wouldn't be John then, would it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 2:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
shouldn't have been put forward in such a crassly commercial way.
Ahh, but that just wouldn't be John then, would it.
At this point, I have no idea what goes on in his brain. So many contradictions, and not in a compelling, challenging way.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
He never stood a chance. The whole thing was stupid from start to finish. The song isn't for me but then it isn't really for anyone except Nora so I can respect that much. That said it'll probably get to number one now. :rolleyes:
That's my attitude. I don't care for it at all—it's pretty much unlistenable—but it's deeply personal and shouldn't have been put forward in such a crassly commercial way.
I'm mildy annoyed that it's under the PiL banner. It should be a John Lydon solo effort as it's being produced for the benefit of Nora.

Whilst I know John has produced other very personal songs like the great "Death Disco" for his dying mother. This track has been promoted solely with his face everywhere. And it's been handled by the media as John Rotten star of the 70s punk band Sex Pistols to try for Eurovision. It's all a bit too farcical for me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 4:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I'm mildy annoyed that it's under the PiL banner. It should be a John Lydon solo effort as it's being produced for the benefit of Nora.

Whilst I know John has produced other very personal songs like the great "Death Disco" for his dying mother. This track has been promoted solely with his face everywhere. And it's been handled by the media as John Rotten star of the 70s punk band Sex Pistols to try for Eurovision. It's all a bit too farcical for me.
Completely. How it's being promoted undercuts the apparent sentiment of the song. As I said to Flex, I don't know what the hell is going on in his head with this. Maybe the positive spin is that it reflects how messed up he is over his wife's decline.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 4:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Completely. How it's being promoted undercuts the apparent sentiment of the song. As I said to Flex, I don't know what the hell is going on in his head with this. Maybe the positive spin is that it reflects how messed up he is over his wife's decline.
I do sincerely feel her loss will be huge to him. I'm also convinced that when John piled on all the weight a couple of years back was when he learned of Nora being ill. It's all somewhat sad and I think this is how John copes with loss.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 5:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I do sincerely feel her loss will be huge to him. I'm also convinced that when John piled on all the weight a couple of years back was when he learned of Nora being ill. It's all somewhat sad and I think this is how John copes with loss.
Wasn't the weight a thyroid problem? But, yeah, her death is going to be devastating. Forty-plus years, she's been the one constant in his life amidst a whole lot of turnover. That has to be terrifying to consider.

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

Listen, I’m no big Lydon fan but I feel for John & Nora as my grandmother suffered with Alzheimer’s & it’s horrible… but that was a ghastly performance. It’s just not fit for public consumption.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 5:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Wasn't the weight a thyroid problem? But, yeah, her death is going to be devastating. Forty-plus years, she's been the one constant in his life amidst a whole lot of turnover. That has to be terrifying to consider.
I've read stories of a thyroid problem and also seen interviews of John saying that he just liked to eat a lot and enjoy food. But it all tied into the news of Nora being ill. I'm not stating anything as fact but do believe the weight gain was John's way of initially coping with the stress.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

...when a host asked him – before the voting results – if he had enjoyed his visit to Dublin. “No I have not, but that’s not the point.”
Always so diplomatic.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 5:49pm
...when a host asked him – before the voting results – if he had enjoyed his visit to Dublin. “No I have not, but that’s not the point.”
Always so diplomatic.
I think that it all goes back to the early 80s when he was put in Mountjoy prison.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/news-op ... ns-6981133

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 5:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 5:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I've read stories of a thyroid problem and also seen interviews of John saying that he just liked to eat a lot and enjoy food. But it all tied into the news of Nora being ill. I'm not stating anything as fact but do believe the weight gain was John's way of initially coping with the stress.
I can see a combination at work. The kind of weight gain he exhibited seemed to me more than just getting fat, but a bloat with another cause. But, yeah, the dude likes to eat and drink.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 5:54pm
revbob wrote:
Always so diplomatic.
I think that it all goes back to the early 80s when he was put in Mountjoy prison.

I think you're right, John always carried a bit of resentment about how he'd been treated there and also his mother before him, vaguely recall some talk about that in his book. The original story of his arrest makes for interesting reading, the barman refused to serve him because he looked "very seedy"!! Truth was being a punk in Dublin in late 70s/early 80s was akin to being a Traveller or any other persecuted minority. I supped in the Horse & Tram pub many a time, actually a very decent watering hole and sadly no more, like most of my favourite old haunts.

https://www.fodderstompf.com/ARCHIVES/I ... ele80.html

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Always so diplomatic.

Hadn't heard that. He should have written a song called Dublin Dungeon

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Always so diplomatic.

I think you're right, John always carried a bit of resentment about how he'd been treated there and also his mother before him, vaguely recall some talk about that in his book. The original story of his arrest makes for interesting reading, the barman refused to serve him because he looked "very seedy"!! Truth was being a punk in Dublin in late 70s/early 80s was akin to being a Traveller or any other persecuted minority. I supped in the Horse & Tram pub many a time, actually a very decent watering hole and sadly no more, like most of my favourite old haunts.

https://www.fodderstompf.com/ARCHIVES/I ... ele80.html
I also wonder what JL's attitude was there that night. Was he acting the diva that night? Which is to say, did he encourage the barman's surly behaviour in any way by being in Johnny Rotten mode? I'm not putting all the blame on him by any means, but, especially back then, he was a button-pusher.