Public Image Limited

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 41296
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Marky Dread » 15 Oct 2018, 2:15pm

Kory wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 1:45pm
coffeepotman wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 1:11pm
Not much more I can add to that, well said, First Edition was pretty mind blowing too
I sometimes can't decide between the two. First Edition has a rawness that I really enjoy, and Jim Walker's drumming is great too.
I tend to agree Kory. Except for the lack of respect PiL gave to their own recordings with First Edition. The cheapo recording of some of those tracks is appalling. Whereas Metal Box is big body of work and works in a more cohesive way as a band at the top of its game.
Image

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 10034
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Kory » 15 Oct 2018, 3:59pm

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 2:15pm
Kory wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 1:45pm
coffeepotman wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 1:11pm
Not much more I can add to that, well said, First Edition was pretty mind blowing too
I sometimes can't decide between the two. First Edition has a rawness that I really enjoy, and Jim Walker's drumming is great too.
I tend to agree Kory. Except for the lack of respect PiL gave to their own recordings with First Edition. The cheapo recording of some of those tracks is appalling. Whereas Metal Box is big body of work and works in a more cohesive way as a band at the top of its game.
It's anti-rock!
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 41296
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Marky Dread » 15 Oct 2018, 7:34pm

Kory wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 3:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 2:15pm
Kory wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 1:45pm
coffeepotman wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 1:11pm
Not much more I can add to that, well said, First Edition was pretty mind blowing too
I sometimes can't decide between the two. First Edition has a rawness that I really enjoy, and Jim Walker's drumming is great too.
I tend to agree Kory. Except for the lack of respect PiL gave to their own recordings with First Edition. The cheapo recording of some of those tracks is appalling. Whereas Metal Box is big body of work and works in a more cohesive way as a band at the top of its game.
It's anti-rock!
No! that would be called stupidity.
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 41296
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Marky Dread » 15 Oct 2018, 9:31pm

Still my favourite interview from that period just before the rot set in.

Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 81093
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 Oct 2018, 8:25am

Thanks for posting this! I've never seen it and will get around to giving it a go in a bit.
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 15431
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Rat Patrol » 16 Oct 2018, 10:14am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 8:25am
Thanks for posting this! I've never seen it and will get around to giving it a go in a bit.
The best part is the non-broadcast part at the beginning where they're jovially shooting the shit with J.J. Jackson about how fake the London club scene is. It's clear they like J.J. and think he gets it.

Then it's time to go on-air and you can see their facial expressions snap into full PiL character for the cameras: "And now it's time for us to become...difficult."
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 41296
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Marky Dread » 16 Oct 2018, 11:17am

Rat Patrol wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 10:14am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 8:25am
Thanks for posting this! I've never seen it and will get around to giving it a go in a bit.
The best part is the non-broadcast part at the beginning where they're jovially shooting the shit with J.J. Jackson about how fake the London club scene is. It's clear they like J.J. and think he gets it.

Then it's time to go on-air and you can see their facial expressions snap into full PiL character for the cameras: "And now it's time for us to become...difficult."
Yep and the fact that during the interview both parties admit they are acting.
Image

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 10034
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Kory » 16 Oct 2018, 12:23pm

Wish I could be a difficult anti-star.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 81093
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 Oct 2018, 1:03pm

Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 12:23pm
Wish I could be a difficult anti-star.
You're two-thirds of the way there, you difficult anti-nobody.
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

coffeepotman
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 892
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by coffeepotman » 16 Oct 2018, 1:30pm

Love that interview, forgot all about JJ Jackson and the original MTVj's. The pre interview is so chill and this is one of the best interviews I've seen of them, not that I've seen many.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 10034
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Kory » 16 Oct 2018, 1:48pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 1:03pm
Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 12:23pm
Wish I could be a difficult anti-star.
You're two-thirds of the way there, you difficult anti-nobody.
Now to do something extreme to gain my fame.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 41296
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Marky Dread » 16 Oct 2018, 1:52pm

Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 1:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 1:03pm
Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 12:23pm
Wish I could be a difficult anti-star.
You're two-thirds of the way there, you difficult anti-nobody.
Now to do something extreme to gain my fame.
Posting here not enough for your ego?
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 81093
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 Oct 2018, 1:55pm

Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 1:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 1:03pm
Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 12:23pm
Wish I could be a difficult anti-star.
You're two-thirds of the way there, you difficult anti-nobody.
Now to do something extreme to gain my fame.
Maybe put your nose to the grindstone and just do your job. /mydad
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 41296
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Marky Dread » 16 Oct 2018, 2:49pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 1:55pm
Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 1:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 1:03pm
Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 12:23pm
Wish I could be a difficult anti-star.
You're two-thirds of the way there, you difficult anti-nobody.
Now to do something extreme to gain my fame.
Maybe put your nose to the grindstone and just do your job. /mydad
...and get a bloody haircut!
Image

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 10034
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Kory » 16 Oct 2018, 3:45pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 1:55pm
Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 1:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 1:03pm
Kory wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 12:23pm
Wish I could be a difficult anti-star.
You're two-thirds of the way there, you difficult anti-nobody.
Now to do something extreme to gain my fame.
Maybe put your nose to the grindstone and just do your job. /mydad
I work hard enough as it is, dad.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests