The Best

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 2:43pm
101Walterton wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 12:49am

....?
For a band that said they wouldn’t use guitars The Lebanon was completely from left field for Human League and I think they had been listening to Public Image Ltd by PIL. I wouldn’t say the chords etc were a steal but the sound is from the opening bass to the guitar solo.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 2:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 2:43pm
101Walterton wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 12:49am

....?
For a band that said they wouldn’t use guitars The Lebanon was completely from left field for Human League and I think they had been listening to Public Image Ltd by PIL. I wouldn’t say the chords etc were a steal but the sound is from the opening bass to the guitar solo.
Oh yeah the feel and vibe is a definite influence. I'm not sure about "wouldn't use guitars" as Jo Callis played guitar for The Rezillos.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just had a memory flash of this: Lydon vs. a poorly prepared interviewer. The last couple minutes are great as it all falls apart. My memory was that Lydon was a complete prick, but he's actually quite bemused by the clusterfuck nature of it all.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Three-quarters of Metal Box PiL team with KJ's Youth and Pop Group's Mark Stewart and kicks the living fuck out of the fake PiL "reunion" catalog in 375 seconds. Very Clash-jacent as well, not entirely unrelated to New Ride-era BAD. Kind of thing you would have hoped Joe and Mick would have done had they reformed.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Killer tune, hope they do more

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Seriously great stuff. Wobble and Levene produce some fantastic music working together.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Yep a top tune. Been watching the pledge for a while.

Grab one here if interested.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Just came across this Lydon quote from ‘87—maybe we shouldn’t be so surprised by his current comments:
I'm definitely not interested in the extreme left cos that's just selfish rubbish – 'I've got nothing, therefore no one will have anything!' It's inverted selfish rubbish, so fuck off!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Just came across this Lydon quote from ‘87—maybe we shouldn’t be so surprised by his current comments:
I'm definitely not interested in the extreme left cos that's just selfish rubbish – 'I've got nothing, therefore no one will have anything!' It's inverted selfish rubbish, so fuck off!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Baffler piece on Lydon: https://thebaffler.com/latest/rotten-goes-rancid-hanson

Some obvious things said, some silly things said (can anyone imagine Lydon putting together a benefit show?).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 May 2019, 10:27am
Baffler piece on Lydon: https://thebaffler.com/latest/rotten-goes-rancid-hanson

Some obvious things said, some silly things said (can anyone imagine Lydon putting together a benefit show?).
What a crap article. If someone shits in your back yard are you supposed to say nothing? Seriously suggesting Lydon doesn't have a heart or cares little to the plight of ohers less fortunate than him is just plain nonsense. If a homeless person pitched a tent right in front of my door I would be offended and say something but that doesn't mean I don't care about their poor fortune. I would consider the wealthy society that had failed them if they were genuine.

Singing a song about Anarchy at 20 doesn't mean you are likely keep the same principles at 60. John has made his money by using punk just like many others but he's far from tight either he gives a lot to charities but doesn't believe in the idea of promoting himself as some saviour of humanity.

He's older fatter and says stupid things at times...welcome to the club.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

From Michael Azerrad's Our Band Could Be Your Life:
Later that year Green River opened for Public Image, Ltd., at Seattle’s landmark Paramount Theatre and finally gave John Lydon some payback for the hard time he’d given bands like the Minutemen, Mission of Burma, Minor Threat, and who knows how many others. At the end of their set, Arm told the crowd, “If you want to see what happens to somebody who’s completely sold out, just wait.” Green River had already trashed PiL’s dressing room and were kicked out of the building right after their set. Lydon further retaliated by writing the withering PiL classic “Seattle” after the show.
*snicker*

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 11:28am
Later that year Green River opened for Public Image, Ltd., at Seattle’s landmark Paramount Theatre and finally gave John Lydon some payback for the hard time he’d given bands like the Minutemen, Mission of Burma, Minor Threat, and who knows how many others. At the end of their set, Arm told the crowd, “If you want to see what happens to somebody who’s completely sold out, just wait.” Green River had already trashed PiL’s dressing room and were kicked out of the building right after their set. Lydon further retaliated by writing the withering PiL classic “Seattle” after the show.
*snicker*
Green River's payback is as ineffectual as their music.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 12:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
*snicker*
You're crazy, dude. That's the origin of Pearl Jam, the Bruce Springsteen of alternative music!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 12:46pm
Kory wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 12:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
*snicker*
You're crazy, dude. That's the origin of Pearl Jam, the Bruce Springsteen of alternative music!
>HORK<