The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

General music discussion.
Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by Olaf »

That pen looks pretty cheap too.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 8:45pm
matedog wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 8:42pm
New album special edition comes with a sharpie. His fans are old.
:lol: That is … that is really lame. Especially given that his fans are, ironically, in a fairly well off income bracket.
I guess they've included the pen so people don't feel so bad when they write in to complain. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

His new song is on the radio right now. More inconsequential bumble.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 5:30am
Yeah, those lyrics about buying a guitar in a shop are obviously not aimed at you.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 6:10am
Heston wrote:
Yeah, those lyrics about buying a guitar in a shop are obviously not aimed at you.
:shifty:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 6:32am
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
Red Roses for Heston.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
There are two "singles" from the new album - "Letter to You" and "Ghosts." "Ghosts" is marginally better, but they both can be described as "inconsequential bumble."

The last Springsteen single that got me somewhat excited was "Radio Nowhere" in 2007 (excluding the boxed set singles like "Save My Love"). And they are postponing another surely awesome outtakes boxed set for this new album.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 9:56am
Heston wrote:
There are two "singles" from the new album - "Letter to You" and "Ghosts." "Ghosts" is marginally better, but they both can be described as "inconsequential bumble."

The last Springsteen single that got me somewhat excited was "Radio Nowhere" in 2007 (excluding the boxed set singles like "Save My Love"). And they are postponing another surely awesome outtakes boxed set for this new album.
The one I heard was Ghosts.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:

The new singles give off the vibe of catering to the out of touch fans who want that classic E Street sound and nothing else. I guess we should just be thankful he didn't let Steve Van Zandt produce like they always beg for.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 6:51am
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
Red Roses for Heston.
I've heard he prefers rum, sodomy and the lash.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 12:37pm
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:

The new singles give off the vibe of catering to the out of touch fans who want that classic E Street sound and nothing else. I guess we should just be thankful he didn't let Steve Van Zandt produce like they always beg for.
Good to see you back in our thread! :cool:

I mean, stylistically, I prefer it to those awfully dated drum machines and barely perceptible but omnipresent string arrangements of the Brendan O'Brien days. I just don't have much interest in what is essentially a nostalgia record. In the last 20 years, his best music has been his most ballsy (relatively speaking), political, and angry stuff - 41 Shots, the Magic album, Death to My Hometown, etc. He has certainly earned the right to do an album about mortality and his life as a musician, I just don't expect it to move me much.

Also, the redux of the 72 songs is baffling. That January 31, 1973 performance of Orphans is one of my all time favorite lost Springsteen songs and I know the new version is going to have maybe 1% of that passion akin to the time he dusted it off in 05 as a bit of a novelty. Same goes for that 79 rehearsal of Janey Needs a Shooter. That amount of vigor and angst is just not something he's going to muster as a septuagenarian. Priest is one of my favorite of the good, not great 72 demos. Again, why not just release those?
Last edited by matedog on 13 Oct 2020, 2:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 1:49pm
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 6:51am
Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
Red Roses for Heston.
I've heard he prefers rum, sodomy and the lash.
'tis the Geordie way, aye.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

matedog wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 2:25pm
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 12:37pm
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:

I mean, stylistically, I prefer it to those awfully dated drum machines and barely perceptible but omnipresent string arrangements of the Brendan O'Brien days. I just don't have much interest in what is essentially a nostalgia record. In the last 20 years, his best music has been his most ballsy (relatively speaking), political, and angry stuff - 41 Shots, the Magic album, Death to My Hometown, etc. He has certainly earned the right to do an album about mortality and his life as a musician, I just don't expect it to move me much.

Also, the redux of the 72 songs is baffling. That January 31, 1973 performance of Orphans is one of my all time favorite lost Springsteen songs and I know the new version is going to have maybe 1% of that passion akin to the time he dusted it off in 05 as a bit of a novelty. Same goes for that 79 rehearsal of Janey Needs a Shooter. That amount of vigor and angst is just not something he's going to muster as a septuagenarian. Priest is one of my favorite of the good, not great 72 demos. Again, why not just release those?
Good to be back!

The whole album is out there. After a few listens I find it pretty boring. You're right, production wise it does sound good. Clean and un-muddled. But these songs do nothing for me. Might be my least favorite album of his. Even Working on a Dream or Human Touch each have at least a couple of songs I like a lot despite their flaws.

I probably enjoy the 72 songs the most and would have preferred he just redo more of them as a whole album instead of shoehorning them into this project. Never was too crazy about the 72 demos anyway. I do like that 73 performance of Orphans as well as the 2005 one. Janey I assume they don't have a better quality version of that rehearsal?
Last edited by Jimmy Jazz on 21 Oct 2020, 12:51am, edited 2 times in total.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

double post

matedog

Post by matedog »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 11:59pm
matedog wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 2:25pm

Good to be back!

The whole album is out there. After a few listens I find it pretty boring. You're right, production wise it does sound good. Clean and un-muddled. But these songs do nothing for me. Might be my least favorite album of his. Even Working on a Dream or Human Touch each have at least a couple of songs I like a lot despite their flaws.

I probably enjoy the 72 songs the most and would have preferred he just redo more of them as a whole album instead of shoehorning them into this project. Never was too crazy about the 72 demos anyway. I do like that 73 performance of Orphans as well as the 2005 one. Janey I assume they don't have a better quality version of that rehearsal?
Yeah, I've held off on listening to the leak, but when I finally do hear the album, i'll probably listen to the 1972 songs first and then make my way to the others.

Janey has the 72 demo and the 79 rehearsal. I don't think there are any studio logs showing Janey with the full band, so I don't think we'll get a better recording than what we have already, so it kinda makes sense to record it now. At least he's not passing it off as a 1979 recording like he has done with the Darkness and River box vocals.