The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by matedog »

JJ, I am jealous I am missing out on the Wild, Innocent, E St Shuffle concert tonight.

Also, I concluded the Human Touch isn't as awful as a whole as Lucky Town although its lows are lower.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by Heston »

I read this as The Dizzle and Jizz's Thread of Juice.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:I read this as The Dizzle and Jizz's Thread of Juice.
We'll get to that eventually.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

IMCT built another Yucca Mountain 10,000-year half-life waste containment facility?

The (round) one must be full.

:shifty:

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

yea I'll be there for the WIESS and River shows (starts tomorrow night). I had to change my drawers after they made that announcement.

What made you come to that conclusion about Human Touch/Lucky Town? I wouldn't say there is a bad song on Lucky Town (though not a GREAT one either), except maybe The Big Muddy which kinda bores me a bit. There are quite a few bad songs on Human Touch. Lucky Town's best (title track, Living Proof, Better Days) also kicks the shit out of Human Touch's best (title track, I Wish I Were Blind).

I think Lucky Town would be a lot better if it was made today with Brendan O'Brien producing.

As far as Human Touch goes I think the two songs I mentioned are very good. I like 57 Channels and Man's Job. The rest is either dull or embarrassing. I can't believe the guy who would not release all the songs on disc 2 alone of Tracks would release crap like All Or Nothin' At All or Real Man on an album. He even kept decent songs off of Human Touch which could have saved it a bit - Seven Angels, Leavin' Train, Sad Eyes. Mind boggling.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:yea I'll be there for the WIESS and River shows (starts tomorrow night). I had to change my drawers after they made that announcement.

What made you come to that conclusion about Human Touch/Lucky Town? I wouldn't say there is a bad song on Lucky Town (though not a GREAT one either), except maybe The Big Muddy which kinda bores me a bit. There are quite a few bad songs on Human Touch. Lucky Town's best (title track, Living Proof, Better Days) also kicks the shit out of Human Touch's best (title track, I Wish I Were Blind).

I think Lucky Town would be a lot better if it was made today with Brendan O'Brien producing.

As far as Human Touch goes I think the two songs I mentioned are very good. I like 57 Channels and Man's Job. The rest is either dull or embarrassing. I can't believe the guy who would not release all the songs on disc 2 alone of Tracks would release crap like All Or Nothin' At All or Real Man on an album. He even kept decent songs off of Human Touch which could have saved it a bit - Seven Angels, Leavin' Train, Sad Eyes. Mind boggling.
I had an epiphany when listening to my ipod on shuffle and a song came on and I thought "this sounds like a mediocre Mellencamp song (as opposed to an awesome one like Authority Song)" and then I realized that it was Local Hero.

I'd rate Human Touch, Soul Driver, 57 Channels, Cross My Heart, With Every Wish, Roll of the Dice, Blind and Pony Boy as more interesting/enjoyable than all that mid-tempo roots rock dreck on Lucky Town. That being said, Real Man is one of the worst songs by anyone ever. And agreed on the outtakes. And also agreed on the production thing.

As for WIESS, apparently they went all out. Live strings on NYC serenade and everything -
[youtube][/youtube]

This proves my point about Roy being nowhere near as great as David Sancious when he tried to replicate the intro.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Both shows were amazing. Really special stuff. Glancing over at BTX general consensus seems to be that The River show was better. I enjoyed the WIESS one more. Those songs are just so fun and unique, especially with the horn section and what not. "New York City Serenade" was the best thing I have ever seen. That video doesn't really do it justice. Though I agree, Roy's intro isn't as good as the album version. Lots of wild guitar solos from Bruce throughout the night. Plus special appearance from Elvis Costello at the end.

Highlight of The River show was Drive All Night. The whole second disc worked incredibly well.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

"Jimmy Jizzle."

I just wanted to type that out once. Carry on.

matedog

Post by matedog »

So we don't continue clogging up the trifecta thread,
The River: Sides 5 and 6
STOLEN CAR (Tracks reprise)
HELD UP WITHOUT A GUN
BE TRUE
ROULETTE
I WANNA BE WITH YOU
BRING ON THE NIGHT
RICKY WANTS A MAN OF HER OWN
LOOSE ENDS
DOLLHOUSE
WHERE THE BANDS ARE
LIVING ON THE EDGE OF THE WORLD
RESTLESS NIGHTS
TAKE ‘EM AS THEY COME
FROM SMALL THINGS
CINDY

That's a mighty track list right there although I don't care much for Ricky or Be True.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Both shows were amazing. Really special stuff. Glancing over at BTX general consensus seems to be that The River show was better. I enjoyed the WIESS one more. Those songs are just so fun and unique, especially with the horn section and what not. "New York City Serenade" was the best thing I have ever seen. That video doesn't really do it justice. Though I agree, Roy's intro isn't as good as the album version. Lots of wild guitar solos from Bruce throughout the night. Plus special appearance from Elvis Costello at the end.

Highlight of The River show was Drive All Night. The whole second disc worked incredibly well.
That is all awesome and I am insanely jealous. Except having to endure Drive All Night though.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

That would have been sweet. If only The Clash would have released Sandinista! a year earlier, we could have gotten a great Bruce triple album.

I don't care for Be True either. That's one you always hear Bruce fans saying should have been on the album. There's tons of outtakes ahead of it. I'd even put some of those River outtakes where the vocals are mixed really low to screw bootleggers ahead of it. Some of those kick ass.
matedog wrote: That is all awesome and I am insanely jealous. Except having to endure Drive All Night though.
I can't imagine you would have disliked it live. It's not one of my favorites and I thought it was the highlight of the night. Had a nice, big ending with Max coming in all the way and Clarence taking a solo.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

[youtube][/youtube]

If you can make it through. The first few minutes are pretty faithful to the album version. Last few minutes was a classic Bruce moment. The man can make anything work live. If I would have seen this show never having heard any of his music before I would have thought I'm A Rocker and Crush On You were two of his best songs.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

If you can make it through. The first few minutes are pretty faithful to the album version. Last few minutes was a classic Bruce moment. The man can make anything work live. If I would have seen this show never having heard any of his music before I would have thought I'm A Rocker and Crush On You were two of his best songs.
I love Rocker. Crush On You is pretty alright too. No surprise those worked well live. I also love me some live Cadillac Ranch (live 75-85 version is choice). I will give Drive All Night a view later on.

ElvisIsKing1977
Dirty Punk

Post by ElvisIsKing1977 »

can we talk about the awesomeness of this song/video?:

[youtube][/youtube]

matedog

Post by matedog »

ElvisIsKing1977 wrote:can we talk about the awesomeness of this song/video?:

[youtube][/youtube]
Nothing pisses me off more than that video ending before the big finale. Maybe my favorite song on Tracks, surprisingly fun on the Devils and Dust tour too. This is Vini Lopez' (Bruce's own Terry in a completely different way) great performance. Very few 73/74 live versions hit me as hard as the recorded version, oddly enough.