Post by Inder »

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by matedog »

Inder wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 1:15am
I...don't disagree.

I'll stop commandeering Tom's Metallica thread and move the discussion back here. This is pretty much where I align:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... story.html
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So Springsteen fans are up in arms over this commercial?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The other weird thing is the timing of it all. Back in the 80s, as the Western world moved steadily to the neoliberal right—free market morality! greed is good!—there was value in someone like Springsteen becoming a superstar while resisting that kind of corporate cross-promotion. But the mood has been turning away from neoliberalism over the past decade (whether that's towards fascism or social democracy) and towards, seemingly, the kind of unifying populism he's supposed to represent … and so he jumps into bed with a fucking car company? How tone deaf is he that that connection will, to a large swath of the audience, negate the content of his words?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 11:17am
The other weird thing is the timing of it all. Back in the 80s, as the Western world moved steadily to the neoliberal right—free market morality! greed is good!—there was value in someone like Springsteen becoming a superstar while resisting that kind of corporate cross-promotion. But the mood has been turning away from neoliberalism over the past decade (whether that's towards fascism or social democracy) and towards, seemingly, the kind of unifying populism he's supposed to represent … and so he jumps into bed with a fucking car company? How tone deaf is he that that connection will, to a large swath of the audience, negate the content of his words?
Maybe I dont give the majority of his fans that much credit because I dont see it as a big deal and was surprised he hadn't already done something similar.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 11:21am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Maybe I dont give the majority of his fans that much credit because I dont see it as a big deal and was surprised he hadn't already done something similar.
I've had a number of Springsteen fans in my rock class over the years (including one who lovedlovedloved Reagan). Very earnest kids, every one. The idea that Springsteen is the voice of the good, hard-working person runs deep.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 12:21pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've had a number of Springsteen fans in my rock class over the years (including one who lovedlovedloved Reagan). Very earnest kids, every one. The idea that Springsteen is the voice of the good, hard-working person runs deep.
And any good Reagan fan would want Springsteen doing car commercials .

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 12:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
And any good Reagan fan would want Springsteen doing car commercials .
Oh, that guy would be over the moon with that ad. Bruce is finally stopping trying to kiss up to the commies.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
He has shown good political acumen over the years, which is why this is disappointing for me. Ghost of Tom Joad is pretty much an anti-capitalistic screed. 41 Shots really pissed off law enforcement. There was the North Carolina concert in 2016 that he cancelled to protest their transgender bathroom bill (that's dumbing it down, but that was the gist). He slipped up with the Walmart compilation, but pulled it an apologized after the fact.

I doubt he'll apologize for this, but it seems pretty antithetical to how he has pursued his career.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 1:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
He has shown good political acumen over the years, which is why this is disappointing for me. Ghost of Tom Joad is pretty much an anti-capitalistic screed. 41 Shots really pissed off law enforcement. There was the North Carolina concert in 2016 that he cancelled to protest their transgender bathroom bill (that's dumbing it down, but that was the gist). He slipped up with the Walmart compilation, but pulled it an apologized after the fact.

I doubt he'll apologize for this, but it seems pretty antithetical to how he has pursued his career.
In sports terminology, it's an unforced error. He could have done the same ad—that is, the text—with a non-profit, civic interest group—hell, it could have been an official NFL ad—and he'd be hailed as contributing to de-escalating polarized speech.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 1:29pm
matedog wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 1:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

In sports terminology, it's an unforced error. He could have done the same ad—that is, the text—with a non-profit, civic interest group—hell, it could have been an official NFL ad—and he'd be hailed as contributing to de-escalating polarized speech.
I had actually run that through my head - what if he funded it himself. It'd be a bit grandstanding and still lamely centrist, but at least wouldn't have the corporate tie.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 1:57pm
I had actually run that through my head - what if he funded it himself. It'd be a bit grandstanding and still lamely centrist, but at least wouldn't have the corporate tie.
That's exactly it. We'd be more likely to critique him for his saccharine centrism and/or naivete, but at least attention would be to the words rather than the tacit endorsement of a corporation, the kind of institution that fucks over the people in his overtly populist songs.

(Hey, cool, you just kinda had your own "Lydon loves Trump" moment!)

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Maybe he just likes Jeeps.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Also, that bit about the chapel was interesting.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?