General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Dizzle and Jimmy Jizzle's Thread o'Bruce

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 6:57pm
Hello,

I'm sorry if this really doesn't belong here (there is a mention of Bruce in the piece) but there bigger idea would be the similarities. It's a kind description of Mellencamp. I've found his music to be pretty boring and dislike the message in some of his songs ("Hold on to 16 as long as you can" - yeah, life really sucks after your 16) but can appreciate his thoughts on Reagan.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... =nss_yahoo
I've never cared for his music, but he's a more authentic version of the Springsteen myth.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://torontosun.com/entertainment/ce ... teen-video

So she's not embarrassed that she looked like Scott Baio?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Mar 2022, 8:06pm
https://torontosun.com/entertainment/ce ... teen-video

So she's not embarrassed that she looked like Scott Baio?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Who still uses the word pinko? It's like calling Catholics papists. (Which, well, I still do but that's ironic history nerd stuff.)

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 8:09am

Who still uses the word pinko? It's like calling Catholics papists. (Which, well, I still do but that's ironic history nerd stuff.)
The guy that was the singer for Staind released some abysmal songs last year about how society is too far left and typical Fox News talking points. Of course it was a minor hit. Anyway, one of the big lines is:
Am I the only one who quits singin' along
Every time they play a Springsteen song?

I guess it was about time he stopped having cross culture appeal. He’s been pretty openly liberal forever. Though come on, people aren’t actually going to stop shouting along to the chorus of the song where the US government exploits then abandons it’s young service men.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 9:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The guy that was the singer for Staind released some abysmal songs last year about how society is too far left and typical Fox News talking points. Of course it was a minor hit. Anyway, one of the big lines is:

I guess it was about time he stopped having cross culture appeal. He’s been pretty openly liberal forever. Though come on, people aren’t actually going to stop shouting along to the chorus of the song where the US government exploits then abandons it’s young service men.
It’s curious how Bruce is so misunderstood. He used to be some working-class icon that the right could claim, but now he’s some kind of left-wing radical. He’s a bland liberal of the populist sort, more romantic than critical. There’s no real mystery there.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 9:57am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It’s curious how Bruce is so misunderstood. He used to be some working-class icon that the right could claim, but now he’s some kind of left-wing radical. He’s a bland liberal of the populist sort, more romantic than critical. There’s no real mystery there.
Speaks to just how far right our politics have sped since the 80s.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 11:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

More so, how much the working definitions of left and right now almost totally exclude traditional economic questions, and instead revolve around cultural questions. And, tighter yet, cultural questions getting boiled down to inclusivity and tolerance versus exclusivity and intolerance.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 11:37am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

More so, how much the working definitions of left and right now almost totally exclude traditional economic questions, and instead revolve around cultural questions. And, tighter yet, cultural questions getting boiled down to inclusivity and tolerance versus exclusivity and intolerance.
Additionally, Bruce became more and more overtly political since the 90s. While he was ruling the charts in the 80s, his politics were more ambiguous and certainly less partisan (he never supported a presidential candidate until Kerry in 04 for example).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 11:47am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 11:37am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Additionally, Bruce became more and more overtly political since the 90s. While he was ruling the charts in the 80s, his politics were more ambiguous and certainly less partisan (he never supported a presidential candidate until Kerry in 04 for example).
I recall him speaking out against Bush Sr. in '88, tho that's not the same thing as endorsing *snicker* Michael Dukakis.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 11:53am
matedog wrote:

I recall him speaking out against Bush Sr. in '88, tho that's not the same thing as endorsing *snicker* Michael Dukakis.
Interesting, that's news to me: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 12:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 11:53am
matedog wrote:

Interesting, that's news to me: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
And now you have to rethink a lot of stuff. You are one step closer to becoming a Napalm Death superfan.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Eagerly awaiting Matey's Napalm Death Tasty Cutz comp
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 12:28pm
I know Napalm Death from this beloved soundtrack:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 12:28pm
What's the ND connection? I cant read the article.