Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: No way.
Just jokin', chief.

They've had two hits over here, Buddy Holly (which is fucking superb) and Hash Pipe (meh). Never investigated much further.
8. In the Garage –5. Heston’s favorite Weezer song.
That's right. They've got the same posters on the wall.
I must've missed that (hurries to YouTube)......
Second verse:
I've got posters on the wall,
My favorite rock group, KISS.
I've got Ace Frehley.
I've got Peter Criss
Waiting there for me.
Yes I do, I do
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:I've just checked, they had a hit with Beverly Hills over here, which I must totally have missed. I also noticed Buddy Holly didn't chart in the US, it was a smash over here, you guys are strange....
I'm actually a little surprised it didn't chart either. I think everyone of my generation knows "Buddy Holly."
It made it to #2 on the Modern Rock Charts and #17 on the Top 40 Mainstream. That video was played every 15 minutes on MTV too.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:I've just checked, they had a hit with Beverly Hills over here, which I must totally have missed. I also noticed Buddy Holly didn't chart in the US, it was a smash over here, you guys are strange....
I'm actually a little surprised it didn't chart either. I think everyone of my generation knows "Buddy Holly."
It made it to #2 on the Modern Rock Charts and #17 on the Top 40 Mainstream. That video was played every 15 minutes on MTV too.
According to Wiki, it never made the Billboard Chart, is that different to "Mainstream?"
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
According to Wiki, it never made the Billboard Chart, is that different to "Mainstream?"
Honestly, I have no freaking clue. What I don't understand is how a song can go higher on the "hot 200" chart (which I thought is all inclusive) than on, say the "modern rock" or "r&b" chart which are more exclusive and have in theory, less competition.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
Honestly, I have no freaking clue. What I don't understand is how a song can go higher on the "hot 200" chart (which I thought is all inclusive) than on, say the "modern rock" or "r&b" chart which are more exclusive and have in theory, less competition.
I'm glad we have a simple system where the songs that sell the most copies make the charts.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote: I'm actually a little surprised it didn't chart either. I think everyone of my generation knows "Buddy Holly."
I'm glad we have a simple system where the songs that sell the most copies make the charts.
American charts are also determined by radio play, I believe, not just sales.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote: It made it to #2 on the Modern Rock Charts and #17 on the Top 40 Mainstream. That video was played every 15 minutes on MTV too.
Oh so we are more advanced than the English. I should have known.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote: According to Wiki, it never made the Billboard Chart, is that different to "Mainstream?"
Wrong!

I'd say hard copies sold over the counter is the proof in the pudding, not what some retarded DJ is spinning.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote: Honestly, I have no freaking clue. What I don't understand is how a song can go higher on the "hot 200" chart (which I thought is all inclusive) than on, say the "modern rock" or "r&b" chart which are more exclusive and have in theory, less competition.
Wrong!

I'd say hard copies sold over the counter is the proof in the pudding, not what some retarded DJ is being secretly paid by the record company to spin.
Corrected.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote: I'm glad we have a simple system where the songs that sell the most copies make the charts.
Wrong!

I'd say hard copies sold over the counter is the proof in the pudding, not what some retarded DJ is being secretly paid by the record company to spin.
Corrected.
Which just reinforces my point....

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: I'm glad we have a simple system where the songs that sell the most copies make the charts.
Wrong!

Corrected.
Which just reinforces my point....[/quote]

Wait, we are talking about "grey" vs "gray" right?

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote: I'm glad we have a simple system where the songs that sell the most copies make the charts.
Wrong!

Corrected.

Wait, we are talking about "grey" vs "gray" right?[/quote]

Now you're taking the biscuit.....

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote: I'm glad we have a simple system where the songs that sell the most copies make the charts.
Wrong!

Corrected.

Wait, we are talking about "grey" vs "gray" right?[/quote]

Now you're taking the lid off the pie.....[/quote]

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

Flex wrote:
That video was played constantly on MTV for a good four months between 1994-95. And both alternative radio stations, and the Top 40 station where I lived, played it just as often. How in the world did it not chart at ALL? I'd say it's Weezer's most popular song stateside, except for maybe Say It Ain't So.

EDIT - Matedog beat me to it
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

matedog

Post by matedog »

Green Album Background Info:

Following Pinkerton’s commercial and critical failures (listed as one of the worst albums of 96 according to a Rolling Stone reader’s poll), the band fell apart with Rivers' destroyed self esteem. After a few years, the nostalgia juices started flowing in a lot of kids born between 80 and 85 or so and sure enough, the band came back without bass player Matt Sharp (in his place, Mikey Welsh) whose falsetto was so key to the sound of the first two albums and whose interest in moog synthesizers (as found on his Rentals records) helped shape the Pinkerton sessions. These summer 2000 shows were not merely for nostalgia as the band debuted at least a dozen songs. Interestingly, only one of these songs made it onto the Green album and two others onto Maladroit. I won't touch too much on these other tunes as they were never officially released but they provide some insight into the transition to from Pink to Green. Interestingly the songs are slightly more adventurous than the neutered approach Rivers took on his comeback album. There are some time changes (nothing more advanced than straight/cut time switches) and Mikey does his best Matt Sharp impersonation on "O Girl." There are a few minor gems, but for the most part, the songs are unmemorable and indicative of Rivers retreating from his songwriting experimentalism he exercised on his last album. Fast forward a few months, cue the return of Ric Ocasek and...

1. Don’t Let Go – 5. Pleasing enough of a song. The drum intro is a nice little “welcome back” into a nice driving riff n rhythm. The problem comes when Rivers starts singing. Yeah, the Brian Bell harmonies are all in place but man do they sound like they are sleeping here. On the Make Believe tour, they revamped it and Rivers brought up his vocals an octave (or just a drastic key change?) to give the song the more passionate vocal it needs. See –
(can’t embed)

2. Photograph - 6. One of the hookier songs on the album. Again this one never elevates above "pretty good" because, like the rest of the album, it doesn't try. At least the melodies and clap track are in place.

3. Hash Pipe – 6.The only Summer 2000 song to make the album. I remember calling my friends up when they announced on the radio they were going to play "the new Weezer single." Unfortunately, my reaction after finally hearing the song was "eh?" Over time though, I have been able to appreciate the song a bit more. It certainly has the most rocking riff on the album and it is also the most quirky. Not great, but better than Green average.

4. Island in the Sun -5. One of their bigger singles and I believe the only one to be included in an Olson Twins movie. This is the one non-straight rocker on the album which gives it an ever so slight change in feel. As with nearly everything on the album, the melody is fine, the vocals are there, the solo plays the vocal line and the song just ends.

5. Crab – 5. I hear it as "crab out the boony taint gonna do no good"? Lyrically this song is frustratingly generic except for adding the word "crab" in random spots. Either that or I am completely missing something. The melody is actually pretty good and Rivers' voice rises a bit to pack some punch on the chorus.

6. Knock Down Drag Out – 5. Lively, alright melody. On the better end of the spectrum if still not particularly worthwhile.

7. Smile – 6.I kinda like this one. It is a half developed song but boasts a good verse AND good chorus melody. The vocal is pretty emotive too.

8. Simple Pages -7.I'm going to go ahead and say this is the most "classic" sounding Weezer song on the album. The song begins "Green" enough with a good melody on the verse and less obvious almost middle eastern sounding intro. The chorus is so so but has a nice resolve. Like every other song on the album, the guitar solo mimics a vocal line. What's special about this song is the final verse which leads to a nice little outro vocal that differs from the rest of the song on top of the already familiar verse vocal. The dual vocal lines is a nicetouch and a minor songwriting curveball on an album that is so structurally bland. Perhaps the album is starting to take a turn for the interesting...

9. Glorious Day -4. Oh wait no, back to the generic, unspectacular, inoffensive tunes.

10. Oh Girlfriend -4. Continuing with the theme of album ending ballads, this one clocks in at an astonishing 3:49 (epic by the album's 28 minute, 10 song standard). Unfortunately, it still follows suit with the rest of the album. Uninteresting, okay melody, nothing special.

11. I Do – 6. A true anomaly from the tracks released from the Green album, I Do may be typically lyrically shallow, however, the instrumentation and arrangement are what set it apart. The song features a clean keyboard/organ with a green standard "vocal-melody on guitar" which doesn't irk me as much given that it is over a different accompaniment. If tacked onto the end like it was for the UK release, it would be a nice, poor man's Butterfly. Much more so than O Girlfriend at last.

12 Oh Lisa - 4. Standard b-side material. This could be swapped in with any of the lesser tracks on Green and it wouldn't change the mediocre thing one bit.

13. Brightening Day - 4. See "O Lisa."

14. Starlight – 4. Nothing offensive about this one. The melody is okay. It’s just so pedestrian. B-side material better suited for a band without so many great b-sides in the past.

15. Always - 6. An acoustic ballad. Like "I Do" this one sounds far different from the others. The overall effect is less strong than "I Do," but would have been a welcome sub for some of the other songs to strengthen up the album through a diversity in sound.

16. Teenage Victory Song -6. Awesome chorus that nearly overcomes the standard Green Album format it adheres to. Definitely one of the better songs from these sessions.

Epilogue -
In spite of how completely and utterly mediocre this album is, I hold it dear to my heart as it came out right around my high school graduation. Especially after the well thought out, challenging pieces from Pinkerton, this one just comes across as timid and safe which is what they needed at the time. In spite of my fond memories of the album and that time, it still disappoints.
Last edited by matedog on 04 Dec 2009, 3:16pm, edited 1 time in total.