Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Mate's Takes - The Weezer Discography

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Since lyrics are pretty low on the list of things I process in music, it took me way to long to really appreciate how brutally honest and ugly Pinkerton is.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 9:45am
Since lyrics are pretty low on the list of things I process in music, it took me way to long to really appreciate how brutally honest and ugly Pinkerton is.
When I was younger and even more naive/less critical, I associated with ugly and honest with value. The act of confession of something horrible necessarily made it "good art." But I've lost a lot of that crude individualism.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

yeah, pinkerton hasn't aged so well.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 10:32am
yeah, pinkerton hasn't aged so well.
I've been thinking about this recently. I don't know if I'd agree. It seemed pretty brutally honest and ugly from the get go. It took me awhile to really get it, but the whole arc is protagonist wants love, finds love, and fucks it up by cheating just because. There's even a letter he sent to friends/family/fans? (not sure) at time of release in the special edition where he talks about the "nastiness" on the album, so it seems at least somewhat self aware at the time.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
30 May 2021, 9:07am
Truer than true
Eh, it’s been done before.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Like disclaimer for "Beverly Hills" and the mosh pit!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 11:52am
Like disclaimer for "Beverly Hills" and the mosh pit!
Hard Times Weezer jokes are consistently excellent. They've achieved perfect punchline status.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

matedog wrote:
08 Nov 2009, 1:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
eumaas wrote:I like Pinkerton. Never been interested enough to explore further, though.
You might like Blue Album well enough. I doubt you'd be impressed with much else.
I like the first three albums well enough, but since then it's seemed too much filler.
I think Green (the third one) is as soulless and generic as all the other ones that followed. I did pick it up right around high school graduation so do have a ton of fond memories of it.
Lyrically yes. But musically it was still quite solid and classy. I kind of feel like Weezer is the sort of band who still can crank out really good power pop singles and should honestly probably just stick to that. Like there's no reason for there to be another full weezer album stuffed to the gills with filler.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Driving in the car, radio set to Ottawa's "alternative" station—the Boss controls the radio cos she's the driver—and "Island in the Sun" comes on. She turns it up. I tell her Weezer fans hate that song. She replies, "I don't care," and cranks it even louder and starts singing along.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 6:15pm
Driving in the car, radio set to Ottawa's "alternative" station—the Boss controls the radio cos she's the driver—and "Island in the Sun" comes on. She turns it up. I tell her Weezer fans hate that song. She replies, "I don't care," and cranks it even louder and starts singing along.
I love it!!! Only because I wasn't in the car though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 9:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 6:15pm
I love it!!! Only because I wasn't in the car though.
I can do two things when in the car: generate a whoooole lot of snarky banter related to the radio; or go inside my head and think about dumb shit. A lot of pros and cons with either choice.