05 Mar 2020, 5:08pm
Silent Majority wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 3:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 2:57pm
Silent Majority wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 2:54pm

Dunno yet. There's one, I'm sure.
Hammer of the Gods is the big one from the 80s. Their manager sued or threatened to sue over it. Very readable, salacious.
Yeah, that's the one I've walked past.
I've read a lot about its veracity being fairly dubious. Could be a fun read if you take it with a major grain of salt. I don't know that there is a VERY good book on them. This one has some good reviews, but it looks like it leans pretty heavily on Page's obsession with the occult:

https://www.amazon.com/When-Giants-Walk ... oks&sr=1-4
Didn't you and I get drinks at the hotel where they did whatever involving a fish and a groupie?
Did we? I don't remember that part, but I might have been a couple sheets in by then. The Edgewater, where the Beatles and Clash (among others) also stayed.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 1:27pm
matedog wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 5:12pm
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 2:57pm

Hammer of the Gods is the big one from the 80s. Their manager sued or threatened to sue over it. Very readable, salacious.
I've read a lot about its veracity being fairly dubious. Could be a fun read if you take it with a major grain of salt. I don't know that there is a VERY good book on them. This one has some good reviews, but it looks like it leans pretty heavily on Page's obsession with the occult:

Didn't you and I get drinks at the hotel where they did whatever involving a fish and a groupie?
Did we? I don't remember that part, but I might have been a couple sheets in by then. The Edgewater, where the Beatles and Clash (among others) also stayed.
Yeah, this rings a bell:

Very romantic. I don't remember if that was before or after breaking into the music festival that was shutting down.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 1:36pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Yeah, this rings a bell:

Very romantic. I don't remember if that was before or after breaking into the music festival that was shutting down.
Did we get the mussels? They're great there.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 1:42pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah, this rings a bell:

I think we just boozed.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 3:45pm
Kory wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 1:42pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:

Yeah, this rings a bell:

I think we just boozed.
That's why I've forgotten it. I do remember hitting Bambino's Pizza and trying a couple of their beers. I also remember that I left my credit card at one of the bars and we had to walk all the way back for it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I might go see Lez Zeppelin next time they are in town. Hopefully they skip STH or leave it to the end.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I am not loving Houses of the Holy on first listen.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 2:20pm
I really hated it on first few listens but it grew on me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 2:22pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Crunge is probably the only one I don't really like and it's at least an interesting genre/time signature exercise.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 3:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I really hated it on first few listens but it grew own me.
Crunge is probably the only one I don't really like and it's at least an interesting genre/time signature exercise.
Yeah I agree I'm not that mad on that track but at least it's different.

Are the deluxe editions worth having?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 4:12pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

From a bonus tracks perspective, absolutely not. They are maddeningly frustrating tracks that are just slightly different mixes of the same takes. Coda has some interesting miscellaneous outtakes but that's about it. I did compile every bonus track from all the reissues that weren't alt mixes here:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4F8Wh ... VzYKgpP1kg

I had no strong reaction to the remasters of the original albums themselves, but you are far more of an audiophile than I am, so your reaction might be different than mine.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 5:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

From a bonus tracks perspective, absolutely not. They are maddeningly frustrating tracks that are just slightly different mixes of the same takes. Coda has some interesting miscellaneous outtakes but that's about it. I did compile every bonus track from all the reissues that weren't alt mixes here:

I had no strong reaction to the remasters of the original albums themselves, but you are far more of an audiophile than I am, so your reaction might be different than mine.
Thanks for the info and the Spotify link. I will listen to these tomorrow.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 5:27pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

There are no lost gems like in the Springsteen catalog, but Sugar Mama and Keys to the Highway are the highlights for me. Everything else (ie different arrangements/performances of songs that made it to the albums) is interesting as it gives insight to the creative process, but they were very lean studio band.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 6:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 5:27pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

There are no lost gems like in the Springsteen catalog, but Sugar Mama and Keys to the Highway are the highlights for me. Everything else (ie different arrangements/performances of songs that made it to the albums) is interesting as it gives insight to the creative process, but they were very lean studio band.
I will check out those two you mentioned and it's a shame there are not more great outtakes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Same here, Plant really changes his vocal style on this one.