The Led Zeppelin Thread

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: The Led Zeppelin Thread

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 6:52pm
oh shit, I forgot "Hots on for Nowhere". that's my fave now.
I forget that song all the time. It’s good as hell.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 9:06pm
tepista wrote:
Probably their most fucked up pop song.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

matedog wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 9:28pm
Wolter wrote:
tepista wrote:
The whole Presence album is so underrated, it is all killer and no filler

matedog

Post by matedog »

coffeepotman wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 9:53pm
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
tepista wrote:
Welllll, I wouldn’t go that far. Every song is like six+ minutes. No one needs six minutes of Royal Orleans.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

matedog wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 1:17am
coffeepotman wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
tepista wrote:
Welllll, I wouldn’t go that far. Every song is like six+ minutes. No one needs six minutes of Royal Orleans.
Ummmmm....Royal Orleans is the shortest track on the album, it's less than 3 minutes. Maybe get yer facts straight. Achilles and Tea for One are like 10 min each, that's pretty excessive.

matedog

Post by matedog »

coffeepotman wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 4:47am
matedog wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Ummmmm....Royal Orleans is the shortest track on the album, it's less than 3 minutes. Maybe get yer facts straight. Achilles and Tea for One are like 10 min each, that's pretty excessive.
You got me! I was confusing it with For Your Life.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

A great Zeppelin track I always forget about is In the Light. It starts out with a mystic sounding Moog (I think that's what it is) raga, with some creepy ascending scales thrown in and then the song shifts to some heavy rock, Page slinging shrapnel from his guitar, huge groove from Bonham and Jones. Plant's vocal goes from weirdly modulated to full on rock croon. The song then shifts into its third stage, almost sprightly clavinet, with Page playing the ascending scale on his guitar and then back into the weird raga again and repeat. It's creepy, spooky, heavy.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 8:58am
A great Zeppelin track I always forget about is In the Light. It starts out with a mystic sounding Moog (I think that's what it is) raga, with some creepy ascending scales thrown in and then the song shifts to some heavy rock, Page slinging shrapnel from his guitar, huge groove from Bonham and Jones. Plant's vocal goes from weirdly modulated to full on rock croon. The song then shifts into its third stage, almost sprightly clavinet, with Page playing the ascending scale on his guitar and then back into the weird raga again and repeat. It's creepy, spooky, heavy.
In the Light is one of my fav Zep songs, I play it when ever I feel down, it's an amazing song and the demo version of it is equally as good but completely different.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

coffeepotman wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 9:03am
WestwayKid wrote:
In the Light is one of my fav Zep songs, I play it when ever I feel down, it's an amazing song and the demo version of it is equally as good but completely different.
The demo is great. Page's serpentine guitar riff really pops.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 9:12am
coffeepotman wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 9:03am
WestwayKid wrote:
The demo is great. Page's serpentine guitar riff really pops.
I've found that whole album is great driving music.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 10:49am
coffeepotman wrote:
matedog wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
matedog wrote:

I heard Candy Store Rock on Carter's British Invasion a day or so ago. Not a good song. Presence has a few good moments, but some crap. I never liked Nobodys Fault either.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 8:34pm
matedog wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
matedog wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:

I heard Candy Store Rock on Carter's British Invasion a day or so ago. Not a good song. Presence has a few good moments, but some crap. I never liked Nobodys Fault either.
I used to hate Nobody’s Fault, but it’s grown on me a lot over the years. It’s not a favorite, but I enjoy it now.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

I like this one.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
13 Nov 2021, 9:30am
tepista wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 8:34pm
matedog wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
matedog wrote:

I used to hate Nobody’s Fault, but it’s grown on me a lot over the years. It’s not a favorite, but I enjoy it now.
Relistened to both. I like, don't love, Nobody's Fault. That riff is pretty cool and the verses/chorus are fine. I really like the distorted harmonica solo and when they bring back the riff and add the fucked up bass/drums are great.

Candy Store Rock is less good. I think it wants to be a light-ish weight pop rock song, but everything about it is so heavy that it just sounds clunky. There are worse songs for me, but if I'm being critical, it's one of the more poorly executed studio tracks from them.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Fuck, Tea for One is a slog.