The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2019, 9:17am
The Fixx still exist, release records, and tour around the world. How is this so? Who buys their records and, outside Northwest Hestonshire, goes to their shows? Does anyone here even know someone who calls themselves a FIxx fan? I'm genuinely baffled how bands like these remain an ongoing thing. (Actually, I'd be interested in a longish essay about those one-ish-hit wonders who manage to keep at it, not just doing the oldies circuit, but release new records. How do they survive?)
I saw them play in Seattle about 5 years ago, it was boring.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 May 2019, 12:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Fixx still exist, release records, and tour around the world. How is this so? Who buys their records and, outside Northwest Hestonshire, goes to their shows? Does anyone here even know someone who calls themselves a FIxx fan? I'm genuinely baffled how bands like these remain an ongoing thing. (Actually, I'd be interested in a longish essay about those one-ish-hit wonders who manage to keep at it, not just doing the oldies circuit, but release new records. How do they survive?)
I saw them play in Seattle about 5 years ago, it was boring.
Losing bar bets sucks.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2019, 10:03am
JennyB wrote:
20 May 2019, 9:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Didn't the Fixx have more than one hit? Red Skies at Night and the other one?
"One Thing Leads to Another" and "Saved By Zero" are the only ones I know. And neither were huge, as I recall. Enough to show up on volume 12 of an 80s box set, but not enough to crack the first five discs.
I've heard of and hate this song and band. But yeah who besides Kory is supporting them, other than Heston.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 May 2019, 5:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
"One Thing Leads to Another" and "Saved By Zero" are the only ones I know. And neither were huge, as I recall. Enough to show up on volume 12 of an 80s box set, but not enough to crack the first five discs.
I've heard of and hate this song and band. But yeah who besides Kory is supporting them, other than Heston.
I remember during MLB playoffs one year, a car company had ads using "Saved By Zero." I laughed at the thought of the ad agency guy who persuaded Honda or whoever that, yeah, this minor hit from 25 years ago will get people buying minivans.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've never heard of the twats!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
20 May 2019, 6:05pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
This might check out. Looks like they were mysteriously more popular in the US than the UK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fixx_discography
They were basically the 80s Zeppelin in that regard.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Oof, their website is Bernie-esque: http://www.thefixx.com/live.html
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
20 May 2019, 6:08pm
Heston wrote:
20 May 2019, 6:05pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

This might check out. Looks like they were mysteriously more popular in the US than the UK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fixx_discography
They were basically the 80s Zeppelin in that regard.
But Zep were actually popular in the UK, just not with right-minded people.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I'm not much of a Zeppelin fan but would take them over those Fixx lamos .

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
20 May 2019, 6:12pm
Oof, their website is Bernie-esque: http://www.thefixx.com/live.html
:naughty: Bernie's site is literally unreadable in places. It's like he thinks that he can push his thru incomprehensible fonts.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I walked past a poster for the upcoming Elton John bio that I obviously have zero interest in, but I was certain in a second of something. The Elton John forums are about to have an influx of young girls joining and getting very heavily into the music. They'll say that the albums are great but there are some that they personally prefer to hear the Kingsman dude sing. And some fifty five year old Elton John fan will yell furiously at them. Another will tell that person to calm down, they're just happy that a new generation is looking into Elton John's back catalogue beyond the famous singles which they all hate. An uneasy truce will eventually settle onto that online community.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
22 May 2019, 1:28am
I walked past a poster for the upcoming Elton John bio that I obviously have zero interest in, but I was certain in a second of something. The Elton John forums are about to have an influx of young girls joining and getting very heavily into the music. They'll say that the albums are great but there are some that they personally prefer to hear the Kingsman dude sing. And some fifty five year old Elton John fan will yell furiously at them. Another will tell that person to calm down, they're just happy that a new generation is looking into Elton John's back catalogue beyond the famous singles which they all hate. An uneasy truce will eventually settle onto that online community.
Definitely. Did that happen with the Queen bio people preferring songs from the soundtrack over originals?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
22 May 2019, 1:34am
Silent Majority wrote:
Definitely. Did that happen with the Queen bio people preferring songs from the soundtrack over originals?
Probably.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Ha! This is almost certainly 95% correct. There's a really good book by Sarah Thornton called Club Cultures (recommend it highly) that examines the sociology of rave culture and music scenes more generally, about the status politics involved, of who is allowed in and who is not, and the fundamental oppositional stance to "the mainstream." I've long thought that there's something comparable there that could be done with online music communities. Moments like these movies, where mainstream interest is amped up, must be both appealing and alarming to these communities because of these status issues.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:
This has basically been my experience as a punk fan since middle school. I imagine this is the case for many women. I have so many record store stories. So many. I imagine Mimi does as well.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy