The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
16 May 2020, 6:21pm
I find it absolutely baffling that T&J would be considered anything more than workmanlike.
It definitely falters by not having snappy dialogue, but it’s so gloriously violent that it’s hard to look away. I mean Itchy and Scratchy is only slightly more edgy overall.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
I find it absolutely baffling that T&J would be considered anything more than workmanlike.
I find it baffling that you find it baffling. The first result after a quick search for "best cartoons ever" turned up a poll on Ranker with Tom and Jerry at the top. I know popular opinion isn't always correct but I doubt something workmanlike would be so beloved by millions. I think it just depends on what you were exposed to as a child, I would find it baffling that anyone would vote for SpongeBob Square Pants.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
17 May 2020, 12:09am
Wolter wrote:
I find it baffling that you find it baffling. The first result after a quick search for "best cartoons ever" turned up a poll on Ranker with Tom and Jerry at the top. I know popular opinion isn't always correct but I doubt something workmanlike would be so beloved by millions. I think it just depends on what you were exposed to as a child, I would find it baffling that anyone would vote for SpongeBob Square Pants.
I grew up obsessed with cartoons from the 40s and 50s, and these cartoons just didn’t do it for me. Perfectly fine, but they used to win Oscar after Oscar for best animated short and...I never saw it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 May 2020, 6:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2020, 6:22pm
But I love the Hanna & Barbera stuff way more. Such brilliant characters.
I've noticed that in the last couple months, I've found justification (well, opportunity) to quote Flintstones dialogue (The Boss was baffled when I started saying, "Walking. Waving. Walking. Waving." So I had to find the clip.). Growing up, my parents house was two blocks away from my school, so I always went home at lunchtime, and the CTV channel usually ran the Flintstones at noon, which I'd watch while eating a sandwich or a bowl of soup. That was such a constant of my childhood.
Before my father sadly died in 1970 he had painted Yogi Bear, Boo Boo & Huckleberry Hound on my bedroom wall. We had a cine projector with a Yogi (Huckleberry Hound Show) cartoon reel that we warched over and over. I loved it.

My step-father papered over it later when it was decided my bedroom needed a make over. I was gutted it felt like the last part of my dad going.

I still use the Snaggletooth "Heavens to Murgatroyd" and "It's a funky phantom, even!" phrases today amongst certain friends.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 May 2020, 5:05am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I've noticed that in the last couple months, I've found justification (well, opportunity) to quote Flintstones dialogue (The Boss was baffled when I started saying, "Walking. Waving. Walking. Waving." So I had to find the clip.). Growing up, my parents house was two blocks away from my school, so I always went home at lunchtime, and the CTV channel usually ran the Flintstones at noon, which I'd watch while eating a sandwich or a bowl of soup. That was such a constant of my childhood.
Before my father sadly died in 1970 he had painted Yogi Bear, Boo Boo & Huckleberry Hound on my bedroom wall. We had a cine projector with a Yogi (Huckleberry Hound Show) cartoon reel that we warched over and over. I loved it.

My step-father papered over it later when it was decided my bedroom needed a make over. I was gutted it felt like the last part of my dad going.

I still use the Snaggletooth "Heavens to Murgatroyd" and "It's a funky phantom, even!" phrases today amongst certain friends.
What a wonderful memory of childhood. There's something simple but intensely personal and relational to it all. As awful as it was to be wallpapered over, I wonder, in retrospect, if that act has preserved the memory as more dear some five decades later, rather than if the wall slowly lost its lustre as you got older and developed other interests.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2020, 6:22am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

What a wonderful memory of childhood. There's something simple but intensely personal and relational to it all. As awful as it was to be wallpapered over, I wonder, in retrospect, if that act has preserved the memory as more dear some five decades later, rather than if the wall slowly lost its lustre as you got older and developed other interests.
Yeah you are probably correct. But through my child's eyes it felt like a betrayal and caused resentment. But the bedroom needed decorating. The good part was when it was in need of re-doing I would scrape that section of wall to see it was still there.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 May 2020, 12:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah you are probably correct. But through my child's eyes it felt like a betrayal and caused resentment. But the bedroom needed decorating. The good part was when it was in need of re-doing I would scrape that section of wall to see it was still there.
Oh god, yes, at the time I would have been beyond distraught. There's something cinematic and touching about the idea of you removing parts of the wallpaper to see that it was still there, like a metaphor that your dad was still with you. That kind of scene would put a lump in my throat.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2020, 12:57pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 May 2020, 12:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oh god, yes, at the time I would have been beyond distraught. There's something cinematic and touching about the idea of you removing parts of the wallpaper to see that it was still there, like a metaphor that your dad was still with you. That kind of scene would put a lump in my throat.
If I wasn't the hard mother fucker I am I would have been crying at Marky's initial post. Jesus Im glad you were able to not hate the guy.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Not to swerve to music, but how did I miss this? https://www.hollywood.com/general/the-d ... -60733108/
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Forty years ago today, Ian Curtis made his choice. Peter Hook is streaming the concert from five years ago where he and his band played every JD song. The album is fantastic.
https://www.nme.com/news/music/peter-ho ... nt-2668540

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
17 May 2020, 4:23pm
Not to swerve to music, but how did I miss this? https://www.hollywood.com/general/the-d ... -60733108/
Those superstitious Welsh...
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Those local newspapers...

Also, "the ghost of a vampire?"
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Every other god damn photo of the Big Bopper he's on a stupid telephone. I get it, "hellooooo baby", but it makes for a lot of dumb photos relative to his other dead plane riders.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
21 May 2020, 9:55am
Every other god damn photo of the Big Bopper he's on a stupid telephone. I get it, "hellooooo baby", but it makes for a lot of dumb photos relative to his other dead plane riders.
I respect the gimmick.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
21 May 2020, 9:55am
My god but this is a beautiful rant. ✊