The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 8:43am
10 bands who wouldn’t exist without Korn. Shrug.
https://www.loudersound.com/features/10 ... thout-korn
At one point in the late 90’s Korn were the biggest band in popular music,
Is there any truth to that statement? I really don't know I ignored much of the 90s. If true Flex and Hoy have a lot to answer for.
Floy doubtless know more about 90s music than you or I, but I'm pretty sure we would have heard if Korn were the biggest band in the world at any point.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 9:20am
revbob wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 8:43am
10 bands who wouldn’t exist without Korn. Shrug.
https://www.loudersound.com/features/10 ... thout-korn
At one point in the late 90’s Korn were the biggest band in popular music,
Is there any truth to that statement? I really don't know I ignored much of the 90s. If true Flex and Hoy have a lot to answer for.
Floy doubtless know more about 90s music than you or I, but I'm pretty sure we would have heard if Korn were the biggest band in the world at any point.
Perception: Got the Life and Freak on a Leash seemed like big hits to me. They were regulars on TRL too if I remember correctly at a time when it was dominated by boy and girl bands.

I’m trying to remember who else was big at the time since this is all about perception: Smash Mouth, Radiohead, Lid Rock, Sugar Ray, Limp Bizkit. Actually LB seemed like the biggest at the time. I’m sure I’m forgetting some obvious ones since I just rolled out of bed. I also omitted legacy acts like U2

Reality: Looks like they released albums in 96, 98, and 99 that went double, quintuple, and triple platinum, respectively. That’s a really solid run, but it was at a time when going platinum was t that hard. Limp Bizkit’s 99 and 00 albums went platinum seven and six times which more or less jives with my memory.

So Korn was up there, but there were bigger bands at the time.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Korn sold a lot of records, unfortunately. Looks like they inspired a bunch of shitty bands too.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Creed’s album went platinum 11x. God that was a shitty time for music.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marilyn Manson
Stone Temple Pilots
Rage Against The Machine
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam

Were all pretty big acts in and around '96.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 9:48am
Creed’s album went platinum 11x.
That is stunning. Appalling. Stunpalling.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 10:27am
matedog wrote:
I dont understand how it is possible. Seriously. I would have thought one of the ones Marky listed would have been bigger.

Stone Temple Pilots
Rage Against The Machine
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 10:31am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
I dont understand how it is possible. Seriously. I would have thought one of the ones Marky listed would have been bigger.

Stone Temple Pilots
Rage Against The Machine
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
It was a time of mediocrity. Really loud and aggressive mediocrity.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Judging solely by the number of people about 5-10 years younger than me talking about the music they loved in their teens? Korn was massive.

Again, anecdotal.

Second anecdotal: I worked at a downtown Charleston convenience store from roughly 1995-2001. I saw a lot of 15 year olds in Korn shirts toward the back end of that.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 11:31am
Judging solely by the number of people about 5-10 years younger than me talking about the music they loved in their teens? Korn was massive.

Again, anecdotal.

Second anecdotal: I worked at a downtown Charleston convenience store from roughly 1995-2001. I saw a lot of 15 year olds in Korn shirts toward the back end of that.
Korn...gold. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

yeah, korn had several multi-platinum selling albums. They were very, very popular. Just the absolute fucking lowest point for music in my life.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 12:35pm
yeah, korn had several multi-platinum selling albums. They were very, very popular. Just the absolute fucking lowest point for music in my life.
I really stopped paying attention after the late aughts, so maybe there was a worse stretch later, but roughly 1987-92 and 1997-2002 each rate about equally as the lowest points in popular/rock music for me in my lifetime. There were great bands during that era, sure. And the former was a particular high point for rap/hip hop. But as far as rock/pop in the mainstream? No thank you.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Stone Temple Pilots
Rage Against The Machine
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
Those bands all put up huge numbers in the early to mid 90s. They were petering off in the second half of the decade. Ten apparently went 13x platinum so at least it outsold Creed *shrug*. Soundgarden also broke up in like 97 or 98.

God even hipster indie best of 98/99 are pretty bad. Hip hop was pretty awful then too and things like Master P sold like gangbusters.

I’m kind of glad my finances were a lot more limited then because my purchases weren’t too bad. Sure I own a Godsmack album, but Odelay, Pinkerton, and OK Computer got a lot of play in pubescent Matey’s life. Probably the only thing that got a lot of play in pubescent Matey’s life for that matter.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 2:31pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Stone Temple Pilots
Rage Against The Machine
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
Those bands all put up huge numbers in the early to mid 90s. They were petering off in the second half of the decade. Ten apparently went 13x platinum so at least it outsold Creed *shrug*. Soundgarden also broke up in like 97 or 98.

God even hipster indie best of 98/99 are pretty bad. Hip hop was pretty awful then too and things like Master P sold like gangbusters.

I’m kind of glad my finances were a lot more limited then because my purchases weren’t too bad. Sure I own a Godsmack album, but Odelay, Pinkerton, and OK Computer got a lot of play in pubescent Matey’s life. Probably the only thing that got a lot of play in pubescent Matey’s life for that matter.
Yeah what rev didn't repost from my list was this bit "Were all pretty big acts in and around '96".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 2:31pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

Stone Temple Pilots
Rage Against The Machine
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam

I had a coworker that had basically every goddamn terrible album Master P made/produced. Just a duffel bag full of terrible. Holy crap that was some of the most repetitive, poorly produced garbage to ever hit the CD player when I was working. I hated taking turns with him.