revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2021, 9:21am
matedog wrote:
14 May 2021, 9:03am
They seem about as establishment as you can get, so it's not remotely surprising that they are going to HoF.
That's exactly it. And why I hate the entire idea of a RNRHoF. The very concept is about excising anything cool about the music. Even if in practice it hasn't been rebellious in years and years, that kind of institutionalization is a big ol middle finger to the potential.
Its been argued that hip hop replaced rock n roll for rebelliousness etc but now that hip hop is also being officially enshrined by the establishment..
ch920311.gif
ch920311.gif (47.73 KiB) Viewed 1124 times

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 May 2021, 9:31am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2021, 9:21am
matedog wrote:
14 May 2021, 9:03am
They seem about as establishment as you can get, so it's not remotely surprising that they are going to HoF.
That's exactly it. And why I hate the entire idea of a RNRHoF. The very concept is about excising anything cool about the music. Even if in practice it hasn't been rebellious in years and years, that kind of institutionalization is a big ol middle finger to the potential.
Its been argued that hip hop replaced rock n roll for rebelliousness etc but now that hip hop is also being officially enshrined by the establishment..

ch920311.gif
You’re more likely to hear hip hop than rock in a commercial for shitty pizza or tampons, so, yeah, hip hop’s status as rebellious music is also done.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 May 2021, 9:43am
Let's not get too hasty here...

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/concerts-return-2021/
Phew! Thank goodness we survived a pandemic so we can see Kansas!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2021, 9:49am
revbob wrote:
14 May 2021, 9:43am
Let's not get too hasty here...

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/concerts-return-2021/
Phew! Thank goodness we survived a pandemic so we can see Kansas!
I'm glad I got an update on the latest Wolfgang Van Halen concert.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Also... I know Im perhaps in the minority here but if you take away Blondie I would be hard pressed to find 5 good songs on this list. Also charts??? Really, this is also how Trump gets elected.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment ... utType=amp

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
14 May 2021, 10:04am
Also... I know Im perhaps in the minority here but if you take away Blondie I would be hard pressed to find 5 good songs on this list. Also charts??? Really, this is also how Trump gets elected.

I can get behind most of those in the top 30 or so that I reviewed. Tears for Fears can fuck off though.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:

Wow, I'd forgotten just how bad 1980's radio was until I read this list. To this day I struggle to ride in the car without my iPod, USB stick or a CD, I just can't listen to the crap on the radio, drives my wife nuts to ride with me.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
14 May 2021, 10:12am
revbob wrote:

Wow, I'd forgotten just how bad 1980's radio was until I read this list. To this day I struggle to ride in the car without my iPod, USB stick or a CD, I just can't listen to the crap on the radio, drives my wife nuts to ride with me.
Yeah and I hate that radio is like that because it can be such a cool medium. Sadly even our local college station is pretty lame these days, I still check it every time im driving and am pleasantly surprised from time to time. But yeah I just put my phone on shuffle most of the time.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
14 May 2021, 10:23am
Sparky wrote:
14 May 2021, 10:12am
revbob wrote:

Yeah and I hate that radio is like that because it can be such a cool medium. Sadly even our local college station is pretty lame these days, I still check it every time im driving and am pleasantly surprised from time to time. But yeah I just put my phone on shuffle most of the time.
I don't think we have a local college station up here that we can pick up, wish we did, the best we can get and it's pretty hard to hear, is a station called 91X that broadcasts in English and is US owned but based in Baja California, Mexico.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:

Loads of great songs there. Loads of shit too.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
14 May 2021, 11:09am
revbob wrote:

Loads of great songs there. Loads of shit too.
On this we can agree.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

What that list suggests to me is that I'm a lot more tolerant of songs that made the Top 40 than those that went to #1.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2021, 12:08pm
What that list suggests to me is that I'm a lot more tolerant of songs that made the Top 40 than those that went to #1.
Yeah. There are a lot of decent top 40 songs, but it’s probably been a good 30-40 years since a number one has grabbed me.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2021, 12:08pm
Im completely intolerant but not because of chart position per se but for the elements that make them top 40 fodder.