Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 6:39am
Flex wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 9:47pm
I say this often...
Related content: https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 35#p467335
Without any doubt the finest rap ever put to music/muzak.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 5:59am
The coolest fashion era was/is the 60s. Mods (real mods) look the bollocks. Mods/Rude Boys always looked the smartest.
They had style.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 7:45am
Marky Dread wrote:
The coolest fashion era was/is the 60s. Mods (real mods) look the bollocks. Mods/Rude Boys always looked the smartest.
They had style.
Sure did.😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 7:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
I say this often...
Without any doubt the finest rap ever put to music/muzak.
Well, they were the Beatles.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Heston wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 8:56pm
They started looking like Spandau Ballet in 1985. I'm glad they called it a day before it could have got worse.
Just as an aside, how on earth did Spandau Ballet go from "The Freeze / To Cut a Long Story Short / Chant #1" to "True / Gold" in 2 years?!?
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
I say this often...
:lol: Dying.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 9:31am
Heston wrote:
They started looking like Spandau Ballet in 1985. I'm glad they called it a day before it could have got worse.
Just as an aside, how on earth did Spandau Ballet go from "The Freeze / To Cut a Long Story Short / Chant #1" to "True / Gold" in 2 years?!?
[insert photo of BitterTom here]
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

oliver wrote:
Heston wrote:
Well the same way The Clash went from "White Riot" to "Train in Vain". Evolution, experimentation... ?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

oliver wrote:
Heston wrote:
I was gonna say obvious answer is smash hits and ££$$ but surprised to see upon checking they only had one UK No.1. That amazes me, I'd assumed that horrible tearjerker Through The Barricades had spent at least 6 months at the top, but actually only reached No.6! Anyway, I like some of that early stuff too, Musclebound probably my favourite of the lot.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 11:10am
oliver wrote:
Heston wrote:
I was gonna say obvious answer is smash hits and ££$$ but surprised to see upon checking they only had one UK No.1. That amazes me, I'd assumed that horrible tearjerker Through The Barricades had spent at least 6 months at the top, but actually only reached No.6! Anyway, I like some of that early stuff too, Musclebound probably my favourite of the lot.
The Freeze and Cut a Long Story are great. But I can still respect Gold and True as fine pop songs if not quite for me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 11:16am
Low Down Low wrote:
oliver wrote:
Heston wrote:
The Freeze and Cut a Long Story are great. But I can still respect Gold and True as fine pop songs if not quite for me.
I was just really saying they feel like conscious efforts to have smash hits to me, but there's no crime in that, it's what most bands were about around that time anyway. Even the clash wanted to have hits - or at least said they did anyway!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 7:59am
revbob wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 7:45am
Marky Dread wrote:
They had style.
Sure did.😎
Style is timeless fashion has an expiration date.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 11:32am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
oliver wrote:
Heston wrote:
I was just really saying they feel like conscious efforts to have smash hits to me, but there's no crime in that, it's what most bands were about around that time anyway. Even the clash wanted to have hits - or at least said they did anyway!
Sure thing. I think most bands wanted success but on their own terms. Gold and True are solid well crafted pop songs. With the emphasis on pop.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 12:02pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
oliver wrote:

Sure thing. I think most bands wanted success but on their own terms. Gold and True are solid well crafted pop songs. With the emphasis on pop.
Is that a Limey spelling of schlock?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 12:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 12:02pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Is that a Limey spelling of schlock?
You don't like pop music?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia