Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 2:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 2:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 1:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 12:34pm

So the lecture is about the attraction and fascination that the occult holds over metal music. Is that right?
No, it's more about how metal and, in the 80s, promoters of a Satanic cult conspiracy each used the language and symbolism of the occult to express criticism and anxiety over huge social and economic changes at the time. The ironic twist to it all is that metal bands and Satanic conspiracy believers were working the same terrain—albeit metal bands played with metaphor, while conspiracists thought these cults were real—but each saw the other as the enemy. That's the part I especially like, how opponents are still bound up walking the same turf.
Tipper Gore and her brigade of nazi's.
She makes a small appearance. I ended up cutting a lot of PMRC stuff because I had way too much material overall and I do have a separate lecture about the PMRC.
Does sound like a great idea for a lecture after all. Damn why were you not born earlier and English. My school could've seriously done with a guy like you.
Ha! But thank you. I just kinda follow my curiosities and see if I can come up with ideas that are still meaty. I know students would be fine with me telling stories about Motley Crue orgies, but I'm trying to get across the idea that popular music is more than distraction; it's connected to much heavier issues that we normally don't consider. In short, I'm trying to ruin listening to music for them. :shifty:
Ha ha they're to young to enjoy music anyway. :shifty:
Well, not *good* music—y'know, stuff that was recorded 45 years ago!
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 3:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 3:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 1:35pm

No, it's more about how metal and, in the 80s, promoters of a Satanic cult conspiracy each used the language and symbolism of the occult to express criticism and anxiety over huge social and economic changes at the time. The ironic twist to it all is that metal bands and Satanic conspiracy believers were working the same terrain—albeit metal bands played with metaphor, while conspiracists thought these cults were real—but each saw the other as the enemy. That's the part I especially like, how opponents are still bound up walking the same turf.
She makes a small appearance. I ended up cutting a lot of PMRC stuff because I had way too much material overall and I do have a separate lecture about the PMRC.
Does sound like a great idea for a lecture after all. Damn why were you not born earlier and English. My school could've seriously done with a guy like you.
Ha! But thank you. I just kinda follow my curiosities and see if I can come up with ideas that are still meaty. I know students would be fine with me telling stories about Motley Crue orgies, but I'm trying to get across the idea that popular music is more than distraction; it's connected to much heavier issues that we normally don't consider. In short, I'm trying to ruin listening to music for them. :shifty:
🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 3:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

🤣
It's great (meaning awkward and embarrassing) when I go on a tangent and start talking about some artist, like Elvis Costello, and can tell that absolutely nobody in the room has a fucking clue who I'm talking about.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 3:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

🤣
It's great (meaning awkward and embarrassing) when I go on a tangent and start talking about some artist, like Elvis Costello, and can tell that absolutely nobody in the room has a fucking clue who I'm talking about.
Surely one of them thought he was great in G.I. Blues. Seriously youngsters they know nothing these days. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 3:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

🤣
Surely one of them thought he was great in G.I. Blues. Seriously youngsters they know nothing these days. :shifty:
Most would know who Elvis was, but I'd bet under 5% could name a single Elvis movie. I'm serious.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 4:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

🤣
Most would know who Elvis was, but I'd bet under 5% could name a single Elvis movie. I'm serious.
:disshame:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

🤣
Huge loss to society.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

🤣
I've only seen one and the name escapes me, but I watched it with Flex and Elvis plays a double neck guitar on the poster and for about one second at the end of the movie. I didn't realize it at the time, but one of my favorite songs of his "Tomorrow is Such a Long Time" (by Bob Dylan).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 6:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

🤣
Huge loss to society.
Shut your mouth! Elvis movies are beautifully inane.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 6:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

🤣
I've only seen one and the name escapes me, but I watched it with Flex and Elvis plays a double neck guitar on the poster and for about one second at the end of the movie. I didn't realize it at the time, but one of my favorite songs of his "Tomorrow is Such a Long Time" (by Bob Dylan).
F-. See my after class.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

F-. See my after class.
I feel like “Blue Hawaii” is the name of an Elvis movie if I had to guess one.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 12:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

F-. See my after class.
I feel like “Blue Hawaii” is the name of an Elvis movie if I had to guess one.
Okay, good, but I'm very concerned about your work going into the final.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

🤣
Spinout?
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

matedog

Post by matedog »

Olaf wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 7:01am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Spinout?
That’s correct. I just couldn’t remember at the time of posting. Proving Doc’s point.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Reading the recent bio of Talk Talk's Mark Hollis these days (pretty meh and in need of an editor, but I digress), which has led me back to listening to Talk Talk. "Underrated" is such an abused term, usually meaning "you should like this as much as me!", but they really were an underappreciated gem, especially those last two records, where they tossed aside pop entirely for the foundations of post-rock. Serious music for turning out the lights and drinking/smoking/ingesting something to mellow out.