Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 12:36pm
WestwayKid wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 10:54am
"I like the hiss" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kind of reminds me of how I feel when I first open my Mats box sets. The Mrs. doesn't get it at all, but I'm just loving it.
Did someone say Mats box set?
Attachments
clipart924898.png
clipart924898.png (21.28 KiB) Viewed 938 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 1:55pm
Sparky wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Kind of reminds me of how I feel when I first open my Mats box sets. The Mrs. doesn't get it at all, but I'm just loving it.
I wish, doesn't appear to be anything Mats related for RSD Black Friday this year.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 2:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 1:55pm
Sparky wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I wish, doesn't appear to be anything Mats related for RSD Black Friday this year.
Take me down to the hospital.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Second Coming was a bloated mess, but this track is still pretty damned epic. Squire's guitar playing is worth the price of admission on its own.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 5:59pm

Second Coming was a bloated mess, but this track is still pretty damned epic. Squire's guitar playing is worth the price of admission on its own.
That was the most tolerable song on the record, but still no. The difference between album #1 and #2 is one of the starkest I can think of.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I like "Ten Storey Love Song" from 'Second Coming" but compared to the first album it's B-side fodder at best especially when it goes up against gems like "Mersey Paradise" "All Across the Sand" and 'Standing Here".

Last good Stone Roses track was "Fools Gold".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 7:40pm
I like "Ten Storey Love Song" from 'Second Coming" but compared to the first album it's B-side fodder at best especially when it goes up against gems like "Mersey Paradise" "All Across the Sand" and 'Standing Here".

Fully agreed on all points.

Funny, as much as I loved that first record and the singles and non-album tracks, I have little interest in listening to them now. It's not that I've revised my opinion (I don't think, anyway) or that I've changed that much (except for the better! Ha!), but they just haven't aged that well. They are 1989/1990 and out of that context they don't grab me anymore.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 7:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 7:40pm

Fully agreed on all points.

Funny, as much as I loved that first record and the singles and non-album tracks, I have little interest in listening to them now. It's not that I've revised my opinion (I don't think, anyway) or that I've changed that much (except for the better! Ha!), but they just haven't aged that well. They are 1989/1990 and out of that context they don't grab me anymore.
Yeah I can't remember when I last played them to be honest. Maybe they are due a revisit but like you I feel it would only be a nostalgia trip.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Love Spreads, Ten Storey Love Song, How Do You Sleep?, Tightrope and Your Star Will Shine all very good imo. The rest pretty much unlistenable combined with what I am convinced must be the worst, most bloated (great word), ill-conceived opening track of all-time (Wikipedia says its 11:21 and surely anyone remotely interested in this album was already sick of it by the time that thing ended).

In terms of the first albums/b-sides not aging well, I think musically it some of the most timeless stuff imaginable (Fools Gold perhaps excepted), but lyrically I can certainly see that take.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

drowninghere wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 8:14pm
Love Spreads, Ten Storey Love Song, How Do You Sleep?, Tightrope and Your Star Will Shine all very good imo. The rest pretty much unlistenable combined with what I am convinced must be the worst, most bloated (great word), ill-conceived opening track of all-time (Wikipedia says its 11:21 and surely anyone remotely interested in this album was already sick of it by the time that thing ended).

In terms of the first albums/b-sides not aging well, I think musically it some of the most timeless stuff imaginable (Fools Gold perhaps excepted), but lyrically I can certainly see that take.
I'd moved on from the Stone Roses by the time the album came out, so I didn't want or need a repeat of the first one. What I especially didn't want was a substandard pastiche of the first album which some of those songs are IMO. I had really low expectations based on some of the reviews and the One Love single which was a huge drop-off from Fools Gold.

I really like Breaking into Heaven, Daybreak and Love Spreads though and I have a lot of time for Straight to the Man, Begging You and Driving South. It wouldn't bother me if I never heard the others again.

I *loved* Fools Gold at the time but I find it a little hard to warm to now. Maybe it's time, maybe I overplayed it.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

oliver wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 10:07am
drowninghere wrote:

I'd moved on from the Stone Roses by the time the album came out, so I didn't want or need a repeat of the first one. What I especially didn't want was a substandard pastiche of the first album which some of those songs are IMO. I had really low expectations based on some of the reviews and the One Love single which was a huge drop-off from Fools Gold.

I really like Breaking into Heaven, Daybreak and Love Spreads though and I have a lot of time for Straight to the Man, Begging You and Driving South. It wouldn't bother me if I never heard the others again.

I *loved* Fools Gold at the time but I find it a little hard to warm to now. Maybe it's time, maybe I overplayed it.
That's quite funny - no offence intended by my Breaking into Heaven insult - if you are being serious, then we have the exact opposite taste on the non-Love Spreads songs we can tolerate on that album - while I should know better, it always kind of surprises me how often you can find have two fans of the same band and then find out how their favourite songs (and the things they like most about that band) are totally different...

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

drowninghere wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 2:10pm
oliver wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 10:07am
drowninghere wrote:

That's quite funny - no offence intended by my Breaking into Heaven insult - if you are being serious, then we have the exact opposite taste on the non-Love Spreads songs we can tolerate on that album - while I should know better, it always kind of surprises me how often you can find have two fans of the same band and then find out how their favourite songs (and the things they like most about that band) are totally different...
:) It's all good. I listen to Morrissey so I can take any insult imaginable at this point (not that I took what you said about Breaking into Heaven as an insult - I can see how some might think it's "a bit much" but it works for me)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I prefer to follow the yellow brick road.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »