Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 4:44pm
Heston wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 4:24pm
For a long time I have complained about mainland European audiences clapping on the wrong beat. In this clip David Essex even leads the crowd in on the right beat at the start, only for them to slip into their old ways at 1 min 34, when a couple of rogue audience members revert to European clapping. The crowd soon join in...

Not relevant to your point sorry, but what a great song that is.
Brilliant mate. Great vocal as well. For a supposed teenybop star this was a hell of a song.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

"European clapping" must join "sidewalk ham" in IMCT lore.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 4:53pm
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
For a long time I have complained about mainland European audiences clapping on the wrong beat. In this clip David Essex even leads the crowd in on the right beat at the start, only for them to slip into their old ways at 1 min 34, when a couple of rogue audience members revert to European clapping. The crowd soon join in...

Brilliant mate. Great vocal as well. For a supposed teenybop star this was a hell of a song.

My mum & dad's favourite album they chucked on at any given time, check out the track list, great comp.

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 5:02pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:

My mum & dad's favourite album they chucked on at any given time, check out the track list, great comp.
Haha, my sister used to get Jackie. I used to sneak a look at the problem page.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

I just checked the tracklist and decided I'm putting it on right now.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:

I still prefer "Rock On" but "Make You a Star" is great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 5:07pm
BitterTom wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 5:02pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:

Haha, my sister used to get Jackie. I used to sneak a look at the problem page.
I hope you cured your acne. Before you went out grooving in your Starsky cardy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:

Oh I fucking hate that. I thought it was just "white people clapping." Is UK better than mainland in this regard?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

There's a healthy dose of memes about this:

My favorite one was about Don Lemon becoming woke in 2018 and the meme was pre 2018 Don Lemon was clapping on 1 and 3 and 2018 Don Lemon was 2 and 4.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 5:34pm
Heston wrote:

Oh I fucking hate that. I thought it was just "white people clapping." Is UK better than mainland in this regard?
As a nation we have always clapped on the "two", that is why David Essex showed them the groove to no avail.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 5:41pm
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:

As a nation we have always clapped on the "two", that is why David Essex showed them the groove to no avail.
Yanks are pretty hit or miss on this. Not sure if we have a generalization, i'll let others chime in.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 5:42pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yanks are pretty hit or miss on this. Not sure if we have a generalization, i'll let others chime in.
Alabama born singer-songwriter Jason Isbell address clapping in the track "Last of My Kind"

I couldn't be happy in the city at night
You can't see the stars for the neon light
Sidewalk's dirty and the river's worse
The underground trains all run in reverse
Nobody here can dance like me
Everybody's clapping on the one and the three
Am I the last of my kind?

I believe he's contrasting Northern/city dwellers and Southern/country folk.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 6:01pm
matedog wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 5:42pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:

Alabama born singer-songwriter Jason Isbell address clapping in the track "Last of My Kind"

I couldn't be happy in the city at night
You can't see the stars for the neon light
Sidewalk's dirty and the river's worse
The underground trains all run in reverse
Nobody here can dance like me
Everybody's clapping on the one and the three
Am I the last of my kind?

I believe he's contrasting Northern/city dwellers and Southern/country folk.
Weird. I assume country folk would be more of the 1/3 type.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

The Clash’s 20 greatest songs of all time

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-clash- ... -time/amp/

I don't completely agree .

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 6:33pm
The Clash’s 20 greatest songs of all time

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-clash- ... -time/amp/

I don't completely agree .
They got the #1 right. :cool: I'd say 17 or 18 of those would be in my top 20, tho with a different order.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft