The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 2:16pm
Oh lord, not sure why I was listening to Illusion era GnR, but I found a particularly odious bit here on their cover of "Knocking on Heaven's Door", during the breakdown, Axl shouts "Give me some reggae!" and the band goes into some general approximation of a reggae bit. God it's so bad.
It's amazing how quickly GNR went from lean and mean to bloaty cabaret. I'm glad that I was never a fan or else it would be dispiriting.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 8:35pm
revbob wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 6:44pm

Doc?
Damn. :sad: Of those choices, it’s Interpol or Arcade Fire, tho in both cases I don’t really go beyond their first two or three albums. I’m more a different stereotype, the old fucker stuck in 1979–1981.
Vampire weekend for this balding hipster.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 2:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Doc?
Damn. :sad: Of those choices, it’s Interpol or Arcade Fire, tho in both cases I don’t really go beyond their first two or three albums. I’m more a different stereotype, the old fucker stuck in 1979–1981.
I'd think you'd be stuck with me in 1979.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 3:43pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Doc?
I could live 1979 a thousand times.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 4:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Doc?
I did. 😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 4:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Doc?
Totally. Totally totally totally.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 8:02am
That's something I've talked to students about, because they generally think that having that many streams proves artists have made it and are livin' the life now. There was a story—admittedly seven or eight years old—where Portishead claimed they'd made around $2500 from 40M streams. I have no idea if the payment model has improved or by how much, but the point is that millions of streams leads to hundreds of dollars. It's little better than telling an up-and-coming graphics designer that they're getting paid in exposure.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 8:37am
revbob wrote:
That's something I've talked to students about, because they generally think that having that many streams proves artists have made it and are livin' the life now. There was a story—admittedly seven or eight years old—where Portishead claimed they'd made around $2500 from 40M streams. I have no idea if the payment model has improved or by how much, but the point is that millions of streams leads to hundreds of dollars. It's little better than telling an up-and-coming graphics designer that they're getting paid in exposure.
Yeah, somewhat related I'd read a story yesterday that some venues are demanding a higher cut of merch sales at shows. Im sometimes amazed anyone bothers making music anymore it sems like every avenue of revenue is getting squeezed.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

revbob wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 8:57am
Yeah, somewhat related I'd read a story yesterday that some venues are demanding a higher cut of merch sales at shows. Im sometimes amazed anyone bothers making music anymore it sems like every avenue of revenue is getting squeezed.
I was amazed when I found out that venues take any % of merch money. The link is a story about the Manchester O2 taking 30% and forcing tshirt prices at £35
https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/news/t ... erch-sales
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 8:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 8:37am
revbob wrote:
No, it's because of piracy. That there internet is why musicians are poor.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

So this is a specific example, but probably carries over to other albums. Physical Graffiti is my fav Zep album, but is really half new, half outtakes from previous albums. So I'm not sure whether or not to compartmentalize it as it's own thing or half it's own thing and consider the outtakes part of the previous albums. Like do I add "Night Flight" and "Down By the Seaside" to IV when considering that album relative to their others and remove from Physical Graffiti?

This is sort of how I can think of Bruce albums in two ways: the albums themselves or the albums along with their associated outtakes (ie the entire recording sessions).

I'm curious as to how others view similar situations.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 3:06pm
So this is a specific example, but probably carries over to other albums. Physical Graffiti is my fav Zep album, but is really half new, half outtakes from previous albums. So I'm not sure whether or not to compartmentalize it as it's own thing or half it's own thing and consider the outtakes part of the previous albums. Like do I add "Night Flight" and "Down By the Seaside" to IV when considering that album relative to their others and remove from Physical Graffiti?

This is sort of how I can think of Bruce albums in two ways: the albums themselves or the albums along with their associated outtakes (ie the entire recording sessions).

Ive never considered it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:

In the same ballpark, I think, is Wire's Change Becomes Us (2013), which was made up of songs derived from 1980 (when they went on hiatus). The band in 2013 had replaced a member from the original group and the record is almost certainly regarded as the best of the current version of the band. So, should it be considered an album by the current line-up or the better understood as part of the original go-round of the band 30+ years earlier?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 4:28pm
matedog wrote:

In the same ballpark, I think, is Wire's Change Becomes Us (2013), which was made up of songs derived from 1980 (when they went on hiatus). The band in 2013 had replaced a member from the original group and the record is almost certainly regarded as the best of the current version of the band. So, should it be considered an album by the current line-up or the better understood as part of the original go-round of the band 30+ years earlier?
So it's the band in 2013 recording songs from 1980? That's a different, but definitely related situation. That's probably even harder to ascertain. Like, this is best modern Wire album, but only because the songs were written back in their original incarnation.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.