Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 9:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 9:33pm
tepista wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 9:29pm
Listen to the Music.
When I was a kid, I remember some people calling a condom a dube (but not doobie).
Must be a Saskatoon thing.
In my case, it was North Battleford. But, by jiminy, according to urban dictionary, dube as condom is listed, noting Northern Canada for usage.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Listen to the Music.
When I was a kid, I remember some people calling a condom a dube (but not doobie).
Someone should have told Dion Dublin this information
http://www.thedube.com/
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 7:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Listen to the Music.
Someone should have told Dion Dublin this information
http://www.thedube.com/
The idioms of a terrible people should not hold him back.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finally finished a workable draft of a new lecture, on metal and the Satanic panic of the 80s. My powerpoint got out of control because, damn, there's way too many good images of the devil not to use.

Switching, now, to research a lecture on 60s girl groups and early third wave feminism.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 8:00pm
Finally finished a workable draft of a new lecture, on metal and the Satanic panic of the 80s. My powerpoint got out of control because, damn, there's way too many good images of the devil not to use.

Switching, now, to research a lecture on 60s girl groups and early third wave feminism.
Are you able to share?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 10:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Are you able to share?
I'd have to do a special preview performance. Otherwise I won't be debuting it until this fall.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've no interest at all in metal that's just too set up for parody. But would love to see the 60s girl groups etc.😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 6:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've no interest at all in metal that's just too set up for parody. But would love to see the 60s girl groups etc.😎
The metal one doesn't really go into music (actually, few of my rock lectures go into music—I'm not qualified to talk about it in those ways, and I'm more interested in the social significance). I'm looking at why metal bands and fans are drawn to occult symbolism, but also the connections to why the 80s saw a panic about Satanic cults.

The girl groups one is going to try to counter the idea that they were part of a retreat from rock n roll's danger. Instead, I want to talk about how these groups helped challenge the idea of female passivity.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 8:09am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The metal one doesn't really go into music (actually, few of my rock lectures go into music—I'm not qualified to talk about it in those ways, and I'm more interested in the social significance). I'm looking at why metal bands and fans are drawn to occult symbolism, but also the connections to why the 80s saw a panic about Satanic cults.

The girl groups one is going to try to counter the idea that they were part of a retreat from rock n roll's danger. Instead, I want to talk about how these groups helped challenge the idea of female passivity.
Metal didn't use occult symbolism any more than some of the rarer original blues music. But it became that way because of it's imagery looked cool on album covers but songs of satan/occult/death etc have been around since the first beat of the drum.

I agree regards the girl groups being way more challenging to Male rock n roll supremacy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 12:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Metal didn't use occult symbolism any more than some of the rarer original blues music. But it became that way because of it's imagery looked cool on album covers but songs of satan/occult/death etc have been around since the first beat of the drum.
Yes, that's one of the connections between metal and the blues. But there is purpose and historical context behind it all … which is what the lecture is about.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 12:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yes, that's one of the connections between metal and the blues. But there is purpose and historical context behind it all … which is what the lecture is about.
So the lecture is about the attraction and fascination that the occult holds over metal music. Is that right?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 12:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

So the lecture is about the attraction and fascination that the occult holds over metal music. Is that right?
No, it's more about how metal and, in the 80s, promoters of a Satanic cult conspiracy each used the language and symbolism of the occult to express criticism and anxiety over huge social and economic changes at the time. The ironic twist to it all is that metal bands and Satanic conspiracy believers were working the same terrain—albeit metal bands played with metaphor, while conspiracists thought these cults were real—but each saw the other as the enemy. That's the part I especially like, how opponents are still bound up walking the same turf.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 1:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

No, it's more about how metal and, in the 80s, promoters of a Satanic cult conspiracy each used the language and symbolism of the occult to express criticism and anxiety over huge social and economic changes at the time. The ironic twist to it all is that metal bands and Satanic conspiracy believers were working the same terrain—albeit metal bands played with metaphor, while conspiracists thought these cults were real—but each saw the other as the enemy. That's the part I especially like, how opponents are still bound up walking the same turf.
Tipper Gore and her brigade of nazi's. Does sound like a great idea for a lecture after all. Damn why were you not born earlier and English. My school could've seriously done with a guy like you.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 2:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Tipper Gore and her brigade of nazi's.
She makes a small appearance. I ended up cutting a lot of PMRC stuff because I had way too much material overall and I do have a separate lecture about the PMRC.
Does sound like a great idea for a lecture after all. Damn why were you not born earlier and English. My school could've seriously done with a guy like you.
Ha! But thank you. I just kinda follow my curiosities and see if I can come up with ideas that are still meaty. I know students would be fine with me telling stories about Motley Crue orgies, but I'm trying to get across the idea that popular music is more than distraction; it's connected to much heavier issues that we normally don't consider. In short, I'm trying to ruin listening to music for them. :shifty:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 2:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 2:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Tipper Gore and her brigade of nazi's.
She makes a small appearance. I ended up cutting a lot of PMRC stuff because I had way too much material overall and I do have a separate lecture about the PMRC.
Does sound like a great idea for a lecture after all. Damn why were you not born earlier and English. My school could've seriously done with a guy like you.
Ha! But thank you. I just kinda follow my curiosities and see if I can come up with ideas that are still meaty. I know students would be fine with me telling stories about Motley Crue orgies, but I'm trying to get across the idea that popular music is more than distraction; it's connected to much heavier issues that we normally don't consider. In short, I'm trying to ruin listening to music for them. :shifty:
Ha ha they're to young to enjoy music anyway. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia