The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 4:40pm
If we're talking Katy Perry it's Roar or nothing.
I'll take the latter.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Listen to that pre chorus!

PRE CHORUS!!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 4:58pm
Heston wrote:
I'll take the latter.
Just talking music right? Yeah its all awful. What the fuck is "a firework"?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 5:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 4:58pm
Heston wrote:
I'll take the latter.
Just talking music right? Yeah its all awful. What the fuck is "a firework"?
Yes her music is crap.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Ugh. Nobody gets an award for "most singing." Her success validates my inattention to mainstream radio.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 6:51pm
Heston wrote:
Ugh. Nobody gets an award for "most singing." Her success validates my inattention to mainstream radio.
It's just a harmless catchy little pop song. I was just trying to be kind to Tom.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 6:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
It's just a harmless catchy little pop song. I was just trying to be kind to Tom.
Our goal is to wean him off the awful. Then we'll fight about where to push him. (Don't read any of this, Tom; it doesn't concern you. :shifty: )
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'm with you Tom, I have a soft spot for all the radio pop of the last few years: Cyrus, Perry, Jepsen—the list goes on, I think. They are none of them Kylie, but who could possibly reach that height?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 7:40pm
I'm with you Tom, I have a soft spot for all the radio pop of the last few years: Cyrus, Perry, Jepsen—the list goes on, I think. They are none of them Kylie, but who could possibly reach that height?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 7:52pm
Kory wrote:
Pre-Comics Code! Good era, except all the other things that were wrong.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 7:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 7:52pm
Kory wrote:
Pre-Comics Code! Good era, except all the other things that were wrong.
The pearl-clutchers over violence in comics really betray an ignorance of the crime comics of the 40s and horror books of the 50s.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Writing a lecture comparing Woodstock and Altamont, and, fucking hell, Woodstock is a seriously boring narrative. Maybe it's just where my eye wanders, but a festival where people generally got along for a weekend is a yawn compared to a day where pretty much everything went wrong. Both stories are extremes of luck/bad luck and poor planning, but it's a helluva lot more compelling to talking about chaotic madness than stoned hippies in the mud.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
Uuuhhhh, Miley and Jepsen are heads and shoulders above Katy Perry. Katy Perry is The Worst.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Yes. People I talk to always marvel at how I don't know some artists/songs. Ill be out at lunch or having drinks or something and some awful song comes on and people are amazed I don't know who it is.

It could be a genetic defect or something but it is almost guaranteed that if it is a pop song and gets a lot of airplay I will hate it. This is not a conscious decision for me. Whatever the formula is, if it could be broken down mathematically that creates a pop hit just doesn't work for me. I've at times seriously wondered what the fuck is wrong with me but I've since come to the conclusion that all the rest of you are fucked up and I'm normal.

And who the fuck is Jepsen?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 8:31pm
Kory wrote:
Uuuhhhh, Miley and Jepsen are heads and shoulders above Katy Perry. Katy Perry is The Worst.
Katy Perry hasn’t had a decent song in forever (though the new single is alright). That being said there were like eight really good singles off that Teenage Dream. Also “Hot and Cold” is a banger from the first big album.

But yeah, CRJ is amazing. She’s the only artist that has made my Tasty Cutz playlists every year since 2015 and hell yeah she’s going to make 2019. Either “Too Much” or “Want You In My Room” if you are curious.

Miley has three good songs - Party In the USA, Wrecking Ball, and We Can’t Stop. She’s a few tiers below the others.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.