The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by JennyB »

Also, I wonder if the lead singer of Real Life sat at his computer over the weekend and said to himself, "hmmm...I wonder what the word on the street is these days." Does a quick Google search. Stumbles upon IMCT.

Is he happy about the chatter or does it make him sad?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 11:33am
Also, I wonder if the lead singer of Real Life sat at his computer over the weekend and said to himself, "hmmm...I wonder what the word on the street is these days." Does a quick Google search. Stumbles upon IMCT.

Is he happy about the chatter or does it make him sad?
Plot twist: the singer is Mitch Williams' other brother.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

"Oh, there's a new Titus Andronicus album out and a tour soon. I wonder if they'll be playing near me."
*Scans the list*
09-24 Atlantic City, NJ - Frantic City Festival
09-30 Carrboro, NC - Cat’s Cradle
10-01 Columbia, SC - Jam Room Festival
10-03 Atlanta, GA - The Earl
10-04 Nashville, TN - Drkmttr
10-05 Oxford, MS - Proud Larry”s
10-06 New Orleans, LA - One Eyed Jack’s
10-07 San Antonio, TX - Paper Tiger
10-08 Austin, TX - Far Out
10-09 Dallas, TX - Deep Ellum Art Co
10-10 Tulsa, OK - The Vanguard
10-12 Fayetteville, AR - George's Majestic Lounge

I just can't escape Chico
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 10:37am

you HAVE to go
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 11:18am
matedog wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 10:37am

you HAVE to go
It's the law!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Did we remember to top off Hoy's Manchurian Candidate programming? If he's going to Proud Larry's, he's going to severely maim Chico, right?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 12:17pm
Did we remember to top off Hoy's Manchurian Candidate programming? If he's going to Proud Larry's, he's going to severely maim Chico, right?
Anything less than full programming, I'll be ending the night shouting "Thunder Road" at the Proud Larry's karaoke afterparty with Chico.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 12:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Anything less than full programming, I'll be ending the night shouting "Thunder Road" at the Proud Larry's karaoke afterparty with Chico.
Okay, backup plan is the traditional "assassinate the assassin afterwards" strategy.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 12:37pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Okay, backup plan is the traditional "assassinate the assassin afterwards" strategy.
If it's right after I air drum the big triplet fill at the end of Thunder Road, I'll be okay with dying at the moment.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 12:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 12:37pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If it's right after I air drum the big triplet fill at the end of Thunder Road, I'll be okay with dying at the moment.
We'll fly in a bunch of local sportscasters from around America to fist pump your triumph.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I remember back when I was 13, like 1975, a friend of a friend had a couple of kids over, this was like 2 blocks from my house, and he had a quadrophonic stereo system. Quadrophonic turntable, 4 nice sized speakers too, and he had a couple of records, one of which was a Bachman-Turner Overdrive album (BTO II) which he played for me and it was awesome, different stuff coming out of 4 speakers, double-stereo, omg that blew me away. Its the only time I encountered that in my life and all I can remember was how cool the sound was. The way it would hit you from 4 sides and merge together.
I am a little out of the loop nowadays with surround sound and stuff, so I guess what i'm talking about is old hat now, but I was wondering if anyone else remembers quadrophonic systems or if anyone ever had one.
What has brought this up in my silly brain is that I am downloading from Usenet of all places, a surround sound 7.1 copy/mix/whatever its called of the Beatles' Let It Be from 2021, its taken from a Blue-Ray it says. The sound that is coming from my 2 speaker non-surround is just amazing, the clarity and definition of the sound is incredible, I can only imagine how it must sound in a top-flight mega-channel system.
There are so many records i'd LOVE to have a quad mix of and be able to use 4 speakers to create that effect. Sounds like heaven to me. lol.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 1:07am
I remember back when I was 13, like 1975, a friend of a friend had a couple of kids over, this was like 2 blocks from my house, and he had a quadrophonic stereo system. Quadrophonic turntable, 4 nice sized speakers too, and he had a couple of records, one of which was a Bachman-Turner Overdrive album (BTO II) which he played for me and it was awesome, different stuff coming out of 4 speakers, double-stereo, omg that blew me away. Its the only time I encountered that in my life and all I can remember was how cool the sound was. The way it would hit you from 4 sides and merge together.
I am a little out of the loop nowadays with surround sound and stuff, so I guess what i'm talking about is old hat now, but I was wondering if anyone else remembers quadrophonic systems or if anyone ever had one.
What has brought this up in my silly brain is that I am downloading from Usenet of all places, a surround sound 7.1 copy/mix/whatever its called of the Beatles' Let It Be from 2021, its taken from a Blue-Ray it says. The sound that is coming from my 2 speaker non-surround is just amazing, the clarity and definition of the sound is incredible, I can only imagine how it must sound in a top-flight mega-channel system.
There are so many records i'd LOVE to have a quad mix of and be able to use 4 speakers to create that effect. Sounds like heaven to me. lol.
I've never known anyone with a quad system, but I do recall reading that the experience of that made the record biz gunshy over cd's. The industry spent a lot of cash promoting quadrophonic sound, re-releasing records and encouraging people to buy them again, and it bombed (part of this was timing; the oil crisis sparked an economic collapse). So when Sony & Phillips presented digital sound, many execs were reminded of quad and were wary.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

weller259 wrote:
I had a similar experience with quad sound.... when I was 11 or 12 . a friend of mines older brother had a quad set up in their den, we used to listen to Black Sabbath Master Of Reality, the coughing at the beginning of "Sweet Leaf" was pretty spacy in quad.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Sparky wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 11:34am
weller259 wrote:
I had a similar experience with quad sound.... when I was 11 or 12 . a friend of mines older brother had a quad set up in their den, we used to listen to Black Sabbath Master Of Reality, the coughing at the beginning of "Sweet Leaf" was pretty spacy in quad.
I wish the guy here would have had Master Of Reality, that would have been awesome. There are so many records i'd love to hear like that.
What Doc said makes sense too, I remember seeing quadrophonic records at my local store back then, they had a decent amount of them available at that time. I wish my family would have had the money to get a system, I would still have it if we would have gotten one, lol. After all, I still have 3 large garbage bags filled with all the now-obsolete 8-track tapes I had bought. The quad concept still intrigues me, I must say.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I just hope you will be nice to the help like Clapton.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy