Wolter wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 9:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 9:29pm
revbob wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 9:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 7:46pm
Attn: Kory! Piece on the new Godspeed You! Black Emperor album: https://montrealgazette.com/entertainme ... -end-times

My status: Stoked.
Didn't know they were local.
Yet the nature of the group is wholly cosmopolitan. They don't come off as a group that's oart of any local scene. Still, I readily call them Canada's preeminent band.
Not as long as Dayglo Abortions exist, surely!
I am a proud heretic.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 7:46pm
Attn: Kory! Piece on the new Godspeed You! Black Emperor album: https://montrealgazette.com/entertainme ... -end-times

My status: Stoked.
The descriptions are enticing. That's quite a title, too.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A question: Is there a more devastating sobbing-in-your-beer song than Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You"? When she hits the chorus, your lip better be trembling, pal.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 7:21pm
A question: Is there a more devastating sobbing-in-your-beer song than Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You"? When she hits the chorus, your lip better be trembling, pal.
This one from 1967 Rupert's People always gets me. Similar sounding to Steve Marriott/Small Faces.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 8:03pm
This one from 1967 Rupert's People always gets me. Similar sounding to Steve Marriott/Small Faces.
It seems to be fighting the urge to turn into "A Whiter Shade of Pale." It's just dancing on the edge of distinction there. I kinda like that, tho.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 8:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 8:03pm
It seems to be fighting the urge to turn into "A Whiter Shade of Pale." It's just dancing on the edge of distinction there. I kinda like that, tho.
Yes true, I think "Whiter Shade" is taken from a melody by Bach.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 9:45pm
Got around to listening to (most of) this while rowing this morning. Jello is still Jello, hitting the same old grievances, maybe a little mellower. I winced, tho, at the one co-host who claims to be a big DK fan, from the Bay Area and all that … and doesn't know who Ray is. Or, more generally, doesn't know what a peacenik is. I mean, really?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 10:41am
revbob wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 9:45pm
Got around to listening to (most of) this while rowing this morning. Jello is still Jello, hitting the same old grievances, maybe a little mellower. I winced, tho, at the one co-host who claims to be a big DK fan, from the Bay Area and all that … and doesn't know who Ray is. Or, more generally, doesn't know what a peacenik is. I mean, really?
I haven't listened to it all the way yet but yeah if you're a big fan of a band like that there are certain things you really should know.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I listen to her hard times podcast regularly. I thought this one was great, just hearing jello spin out his vast knowledge and whatnot.

Matt Saincombe, the host who didn't know who east bay ray is, has a pretty long record of admitting to not knowing tons of this kind of stuff. They did a trivia show on one episode and he basically didn't know any album names for any of the music he loves. As he explains it, he just had an ipod with shit loaded on it.and never really grew up experiencing "albums" or having liner notes or anything and pretty much just never cared to learn any of this stuff. My eye twitches a bunch when he gets into pontificating on this stuff but I also suspect that he's not unusual for people his age (he's a like 5 years younger than me or something)
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 11:07am
I listen to her hard times podcast regularly. I thought this one was great, just hearing jello spin out his vast knowledge and whatnot.

Matt Saincombe, the host who didn't know who east bay ray is, has a pretty long record of admitting to not knowing tons of this kind of stuff. They did a trivia show on one episode and he basically didn't know any album names for any of the music he loves. As he explains it, he just had an ipod with shit loaded on it.and never really grew up experiencing "albums" or having liner notes or anything and pretty much just never cared to learn any of this stuff. My eye twitches a bunch when he gets into pontificating on this stuff but I also suspect that he's not unusual for people his age (he's a like 5 years younger than me or something)
I don't have an issue with not knowing band members per se—it's not required for digging certain songs—but you don't get to call yourself a fan. You're a dabbler. Again, that's no great crime—we're all dabblers for some bands or genres—but you ain't a fan. And if you're going to interview someone with serious status like Biafra, Christ, show a little curiosity to fill in gaps in your knowledge.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 11:20am
Flex wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 11:07am

I don't have an issue with not knowing band members per se—it's not required for digging certain songs—but you don't get to call yourself a fan. You're a dabbler. Again, that's no great crime—we're all dabblers for some bands or genres—but you ain't a fan. And if you're going to interview someone with serious status like Biafra, Christ, show a little curiosity to fill in gaps in your knowledge.
Yeah at least read some wikipedia articles.

Flex

Post by Flex »

I say this with love and good humored intent: It's funny that we're policing the hard times guys about being True Fans or what have you.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 12:38pm
I say this with love and good humored intent: It's funny that we're policing the hard times guys about being True Fans or what have you.
That's not really what we're doing, tho, is it? True Fan shit is about knowing who played supplementary guitar on a b-side—and shitting on someone who doesn't know it. True Fan is about privileging obscurata. This is like someone who claims to adore Reagan not knowing he used to be an actor. It's about a serious lack of curiosity.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 12:55pm
That's not really what we're doing, tho, is it?
It is! But that's okay, I don't think those guys really care. As I said, it can make my eye twitch too when I hear matt talk about how he doesn't know what any classic punk album covers look like and stuff.

I guess I hadn't really thought specifically about what it takes to call yourself a fan of a band. maybe I'm being too simple, but If someone likes a band's music a lot, I think they can justifiably call themselves big fans. I'm not sure what other extracurricular material is required, per se.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 1:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 12:55pm
That's not really what we're doing, tho, is it?
It is! But that's okay, I don't think those guys really care. As I said, it can make my eye twitch too when I hear matt talk about how he doesn't know what any classic punk album covers look like and stuff.

I guess I hadn't really thought specifically about what it takes to call yourself a fan of a band. maybe I'm being too simple, but If someone likes a band's music a lot, I think they can justifiably call themselves big fans. I'm not sure what other extracurricular material is required, per se.
I imagine there is a certain level where you consider yourself a fan, but the obsessives consider you a dilettante. Like, I say I'm a fan of Amon Amarth, but I honestly just like when I listen to them, and do not particularly know which song is called what or which album is the best, or even the names of a single band member. An actual Amon Amarth fan who was on the death metal equivalent of IMCT would consider me absolutely a poseur.

EDIT: as someone who carried on listening to tapes longer than most, I realized I knew the titles of songs a lot better than many CD listeners my age, because they would talk about loving "track 6" because they just saw the display on the player and didn't care about the liner notes or album. That stuff just isn't important to a lot of people.
Last edited by Wolter on 28 Mar 2021, 1:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"