The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 12:01pm
Shane's in a lot of pain from the falls that confined him to the chair. His drinking and (non-prescription) drugging has mostly fallen away but he's more cantankerous and having less fun than ever, understandably, and is sinking a lot of those yuletide royalties into physio and carers (which is why they started selling all the biro scrawls of tits and dicks on vomit bags from touring in the 1980s, first as that £500+ book and then latterly the originals to the fashionable boho rich). There is scraps of an album recorded over the last few years with uninspired St Patrick's Day stompers band Cronin. There's material on there that's been written since 1998, a version of Wild Mountain Thyme and some rerecordings of Pogues and Popes numbers, including the below which snuck out on the album the backing band put out mostly without him in 02.

I like that.

I feel for Shane from a human perspective in that I don't like to see anyone in pain. Yet I have friends way younger than him in awful pain who haven't drunk enough booze to wash away their liver's ten times over and do not have a famous Xmas song to bankroll their treatments.

Still go easy Shane and may the road rise.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 1:33pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Shane's in a lot of pain from the falls that confined him to the chair. His drinking and (non-prescription) drugging has mostly fallen away but he's more cantankerous and having less fun than ever, understandably, and is sinking a lot of those yuletide royalties into physio and carers (which is why they started selling all the biro scrawls of tits and dicks on vomit bags from touring in the 1980s, first as that £500+ book and then latterly the originals to the fashionable boho rich). There is scraps of an album recorded over the last few years with uninspired St Patrick's Day stompers band Cronin. There's material on there that's been written since 1998, a version of Wild Mountain Thyme and some rerecordings of Pogues and Popes numbers, including the below which snuck out on the album the backing band put out mostly without him in 02.

I like that.

I feel for Shane from a human perspective in that I don't like to see anyone in pain. Yet I have friends way younger than him in awful pain who haven't drunk enough booze to wash away their liver's ten times over and do not have a famous Xmas song to bankroll their treatments.

A lot of the damage came from speeding, too, which (as I know you know too well) is a fucking mental drug to do consistently over more than two decades after 1976.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 1:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 1:33pm
Silent Majority wrote:

I like that.

A lot of the damage came from speeding, too, which (as I know you know too well) is a fucking mental drug to do consistently over more than two decades after 1976.
I think I used speed for about two and a half years on and off maybe a bit longer but not consistently. The comedown is a fucker really horrible. Doing that for 20 odd years is insane. I hope he can stay stable his lyrics and music have given me a lot of joy over the years.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Nov 2022, 7:40am
The film is quite good, no matter which way one is to watch it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 7:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Never been that much of a fan of his work—an approach that amuses but decreases with successive hearings—but when it eventually makes its way to a movie channel, I'll check it out.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 8:04pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Never been that much of a fan of his work—an approach that amuses but decreases with successive hearings—but when it eventually makes its way to a movie channel, I'll check it out.
You can watch it free here: https://therokuchannel.roku.com/details ... ovic-story

I much prefer his original songs to his parodies, they usually take up about 50% of each album.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 8:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 8:04pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You can watch it free here: https://therokuchannel.roku.com/details ... ovic-story

I much prefer his original songs to his parodies, they usually take up about 50% of each album.
Thanks! I'll need one of those Very Probably No's, but that's no problem.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Screenshot_20221111_152526.jpg
Jello waving the flag of a nation state? Will wonders never cease...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 9:15pm
Screenshot_20221111_152526.jpg

Jello waving the flag of a nation state? Will wonders never cease...
And siding with Western imperial aggression, etc etc etc? :shifty:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/kiss-reason-to-live/

For Heston.

Answer to the question posed in the article: because the song is a hot pile of dog crap.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 4:36pm

For Heston.

Answer to the question posed in the article: because the song is a hot pile of dog crap.
Like the band itself.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:

For Heston.

Hoy sacrificed a decent chunk of his brain and GI tract reviewing it: viewtopic.php?p=640051#p640051

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 5:43pm
WestwayKid wrote:

For Heston.

Hoy sacrificed a decent chunk of his brain and GI tract reviewing it: viewtopic.php?p=640051#p640051
He gave it a B. I'm going to have to really disagree on that. D+ at best.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 7:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 5:43pm
WestwayKid wrote:

For Heston.

He gave it a B. I'm going to have to really disagree on that. D+ at best.
He fully admits to being a sucker for power ballads.